Heart screening

Started by Milltown Row2, August 15, 2012, 03:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

St Galls is running a heart screening day in the St Galls Club rooms on Saturday the 15th of September for males and females aged 14 to 35. The cost is £35 per person and is a very worthwhile health check.

Giving the current rise in young people suffering from sudden death syndrome it is recommended that all young people take this screening before participating in physical exercise as it currently affects 1 in 300 people.

Payment must be made up front as numbers are limited. Payment can be made behind the bar at St Galls or directly to Conor McAreavey who can be contacted on 07885987679
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Absolutely fantastic mr2.

Really impressive initiative.

And even more impressed st galls have thrown it open to other clubs.

manballandall

Has there been much uptake on this MR2 ? Everyone should take advantage of this , better to be safe than sorry.

quit yo jibbajabba

great idea. just curious as to why its only available up to age 35?

quit yo jibbajabba

Milltown Row2

Friend had same problem and was lucky enough to get it sorted, no doubt he'll mention it as he is a lurker on here ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Quote from: Under Lights on September 19, 2013, 02:46:26 PM
Hopefully he does. I would be keen to raise the awareness after my own experiences. Thing is there was only about ten of our football team went for the scanning. Think there was 60 from the total community. I was the only person scanned that had to go for a re-scan. None of the other 59 people wasted their time by getting the all clear.

So are there different companies that will do this? What are the costs involved?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

manballandall

A lurker on here you say?. Yes under lights I was diagnosed 3 years ago now and had the operation 2 years ago and got the final all clear a few months back. Similar to yourself I had a couple of he's along one if the chamber walks in my heart and they preformed surgery to block these holes. Came as a total bolt out of the blue but thankfully all is well now and I'm allowed to train away although laziness has settled in after being away from it for a long time. ECG is the only way of detecting any defects and I urge everyone to get it done . For 30 pound well worth the money. Don't be fooled that because you're fit you're fine. These things don't discriminate. Get screened and good luck under lights.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Under Lights on September 19, 2013, 02:46:26 PM
Hopefully he does. I would be keen to raise the awareness after my own experiences. Thing is there was only about ten of our football team went for the scanning. Think there was 60 from the total community. I was the only person scanned that had to go for a re-scan. None of the other 59 people wasted their time by getting the all clear.

I'm sure he will at some point, he had an active Gaelic career hurling and football to a high standard, and last few years struggled after games, palpitations and couldn't sleep at night or suffered more than most with alcohol. While we laughed it off at the time we didn't know, then by chance he had a ECG, wasn't planned but was doing a medical. Called back the next day and was told of the abnormal heart rhythm they had seen on his chart.

Worked out he'd two holes in his heart, I was surprised that they found his heart!! anyways upshot was he went for the operation and they 'welded' the holes up and he's been grand since, has been back training away at the gym, did two legs of the marathon and happy with things, I'll get him to fill in the rest with a pm to you. I was raging as he'd only bought new trainers and I was going to have them in his will lol ;)

manballandall

And he's not joking about the new trainers  >:(. What are friends for ha

manballandall

And I feel ur frustration as I tried to organise a screening within my own club but only a handful showed an interest so had to cancel. Unfortunately people have the ostrich mentality until it comes to their door.

manballandall

Not that long in fairness , they encourage you to get back quickly but obviously everyone is different. I was off for a few weeks just but again depends on severity of problem and operation. You obviously don't want to rush back but the fitter the body beforehand the quicker the recovery. know a girl who had same op 3 times ffs so every day as it comes.

Sea The Stars

Is It through your GP you arrange to set up a ECG/screening or how is it done?

manballandall

Can be done through Gp but if you have no symptoms they may be reluctant but no harm in asking. Or you can do it privately through some companies ie : mc entees company. There is a charity that does it for free but these are few and far between

manballandall

Another young fella dropped dead at the age of 25 last Saturday playing for his local soccer club in island Magee. Is this not reason enough to get screened?