Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Ok. Remit being those who consistently performed with distinction over a sustained number of years. Need to think about this carefully....anyone else fancy a pop... go ahead. if you can't go that far back stick to the period within your comfort zone.

imtommygunn

Sean Kelly best antrim club player ever but never had the same impact at county level IMO.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2021, 01:25:18 PM
Sean Kelly best antrim club player ever but never had the same impact at county level IMO.

Played out of position?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah that would be my feeling mainly but I don't think he had enough physical presence to be as dominant at county either.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2021, 01:36:32 PM
Yeah that would be my feeling mainly but I don't think he had enough physical presence to be as dominant at county either.

I get your point, had he been playing his same role for the county he'd have been coming up against physically strong players, but he met that head on during a competitive ulster and all Ireland games where he came up against those same 'big' players

My memories of county football go back to the mid to late 80's, we were struggling to win a game in Ulster (continue to do so) we'd lots of players that put everything into it, then there was a period when were were crap if I'm being totally honest, didn't look interested and talk of phoning players up on a sat night asking them to start the next day (if thats to be believed)

Then we must have got our act together and some underage success brought about a different mindset. Obviously the 70's teams must have had a big Johnnies contingent.

can anyone throw up squads from those days and 80's teams?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah it is possibly slightly harsh to say he maybe wasn't physical enough but at club level - and I saw him at sigerson too - he was fantastic.

87 we drew with tyrone who had just been in the AI final. We weren't too bad round then.

country bumpkin

L Dhearg have appointed, Deaglain Bunting, Michael Herron and Brendan Mc Combe in the senior football management roles.

country bumpkin

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 29, 2021, 11:45:49 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2021, 11:41:05 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 29, 2021, 11:38:34 AM
Yeah I was going to say him after that as he's not a bad footballer to be fair to him... Definitely the best I remember.

Was he the only nomination and 'replacement' awarded? Brilliant footballer btw

When was the last Antrim player to be picked for Ulster?

I'm guessing Mick McCann, Paddy C or Sean Kelly.

Tomas Mc Cann and James Loughrey were in 2013/4 Railway cup team.......

Kevin Niblock...??

BigBallWeeBall

L Dhearg have appointed, Deaglain Bunting, Michael Herron and Brendan Mc Combe
What is the going salary for 3 man management team

Gold

Loughrey was an allstar nominee when at Cork and for us for me was our best ever and most effective player in memory. 
Broke lines to make scores whereas Mick McCann, great as he is, ran to a line, stopped  and turned and handpassed. Tomas and Niblock were line breakers too but not to same extent as Loughrey

Sean Kelly undoubtedly our greatest ever club player, couldn't put a hand on him never mind tackle him.

Terry O Neill and most of the Galls team were outrageously good club (and county to be fair) plsyers
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Saffsof82

Quote from: Gold on November 29, 2021, 10:04:56 PM
Loughrey was an allstar nominee when at Cork and for us for me was our best ever and most effective player in memory. 
Broke lines to make scores whereas Mick McCann, great as he is, ran to a line, stopped  and turned and handpassed. Tomas and Niblock were line breakers too but not to same extent as Loughrey

Sean Kelly undoubtedly our greatest ever club player, couldn't put a hand on him never mind tackle him.

Terry O Neill and most of the Galls team were outrageously good club (and county to be fair) plsyers

100% gold. Stephen Mulvenna was a super player, Alex McQuillan, Paul McErleans performance against Kerry in the league payoff was one of the best displays ever by an antrim player on the big stage, Kevin Madden, Michael Johnston

geezer

Mick herron called it a day after his injury last year? Still looked as fit as ever year before.

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on November 29, 2021, 09:48:50 PM

L Dhearg have appointed, Deaglain Bunting, Michael Herron and Brendan Mc Combe
What is the going salary for 3 man management team

bannside

Looks as if Justin Crozier has also called time on his illustrious county career. Thoroughly deserving of a big shout out for the many years of dedication and service he gave to the Saffron cause.

geezer

Id go for Loughrey as well. Wouldnt have looked out of place in any county team.

In regards to club players it has to be sean kelly. Although i think kevin niblock was my favourite player on that galls team.

Milltown Row2

How many players from Antrim's only winning senior grade All winning team (the under 21's)  would get on that list? I know some didn't get the chance to play senior, as they had other things going on  ;). But was that a lost opportunity?