Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffsof82

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 25, 2021, 01:45:08 PM
casement held up by residents again!!!!!!
Any good new out there for city gaels?
looks like Gaelfast is drifting out to SW again think i saw them at randalstown recently

What does that mean BGM, drifting out to sw?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: geezer on November 25, 2021, 02:03:43 PM
Reading the irish news there about casement. I completely understand where the residents are coming from and why they are opposed to it. Would antrim ever consider changing location? It has became farcical the length of time it has taken and it doesnt seem to be getting any further to being built. Maybe consider building it around antrim/Randalstown areas as central to everyone?

Just for the record i want it built where its at. Absolutely loved playing and watching games there and was always a great buzz when antrim played in championship, those days were hard to beat.

I wonder how many complaints about Casement was there when it was filled back in the day? It's madness, for the actual amount of time the place will have large volumes of people attending games or even concerts.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

geezer

Yeah 100%. Maybe they are just digging their heels for a bit of coin...

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2021, 02:13:10 PM
Reading the irish news there about casement. I completely understand where the residents are coming from and why they are opposed to it. Would antrim ever consider changing location? It has became farcical the length of time it has taken and it doesnt seem to be getting any further to being built. Maybe consider building it around antrim/Randalstown areas as central to everyone?

Just for the record i want it built where its at. Absolutely loved playing and watching games there and was always a great buzz when antrim played in championship, those days were hard to beat.

I wonder how many complaints about Casement was there when it was filled back in the day? It's madness, for the actual amount of time the place will have large volumes of people attending games or even concerts.

EOC1923

Is it not more the fact the new ground over shadows their houses. Reasonable enough complaint if you ask me.

geezer

Agreed. You think they would consider building it out in the country? Cant see it myself. But if it continues to rumble on it wouldnt be out of the realms of possibility.

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 25, 2021, 02:27:53 PM

Is it not more the fact the new ground over shadows their houses. Reasonable enough complaint if you ask me.

Milltown Row2

Ok so that's the sole complaint, I can go with that. lets put it in Musgrave , even closer to train station and motorway, no houses will be covered either
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

barnish oggie

if only there was somewhere in the antrim/randalstown area that the county had land that they could have developed as an alternative to Casement......but then again that would maybe be a (dun)silly idea.....

EOC1923

Downgrade the plans to something that wont even need permission, like Armagh Athletic Grounds, basically an upgrade on what we had. Get Ulster GAA away out of it, especially their spokesman, who seems to be making a career out this long running saga.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on November 25, 2021, 03:16:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2021, 02:41:20 PM

Ok so that's the sole complaint, I can go with that. lets put it in Musgrave , even closer to train station and motorway, no houses will be covered either
How much would you estimate the land at Musgrave would cost to buy. They were getting Casement for nothing. Their greed and arrogance didn't stop there and that's what led them into problems.

I'd assume that Musgrave is a owned by the BCC so wouldn't know how much the government would charge itself, probably a clean fortune going by dealings within the the government

JimStynes

If people think it would be bad getting to Casement because of traffic then they would really be pissed off when they see the tailbacks into Antrim or Randalstown!

Sportacus

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 25, 2021, 03:22:19 PM
Downgrade the plans to something that wont even need permission, like Armagh Athletic Grounds, basically an upgrade on what we had. Get Ulster GAA away out of it, especially their spokesman, who seems to be making a career out this long running saga.
100%.  What we need is an Athletic Grounds model. Perfect for creating an atmosphere for club finals, national league, or county championship home draws.  Casement is a spiritual home for Antrim so it really has to be there, but they can build their Ulster stadium somewhere else (and 100% correct that there are a few people knocking a career out of the whole shambles at everyone else's expense).  Football in Antrim has suffered long enough.  There's a whole generation of young people growing up who, with complete respect, think Ahoghill or Corrigan is as good as it gets.  They never experienced the big days at Casement. There weren't many, but they were another level when they did happen.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Saffsof82 on November 25, 2021, 02:07:58 PM
looks like Gaelfast is drifting out to SW again think i saw them at randalstown recently

Gaelfast meant to be a mostly Belfast initiative but seem to spend more time out of Belfast in Strong GAA areas in SW than in Belfast areas with little GAA going on

imtommygunn

Most times I read about them they're in Belfast bgm.

EOC1923

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 25, 2021, 06:02:28 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on November 25, 2021, 02:07:58 PM

Gaelfast meant to be a mostly Belfast initiative but seem to spend more time out of Belfast in Strong GAA areas in SW than in Belfast areas with little GAA going on
That's not really true though is it, facts aren't your forte

rogercasement

Wee Barry away to Ballymacnab, surprised at that.