Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

I said it after last week that we have a great chance to get a win here. The difference between top counties and the likes of Cavan, Cavan bear a big team and then have no intensity against us. Big teams treat every game with the same intensity and prepare to that end look at when we play a Donegal or Tyrone, they come out of the blocks the same against Antrim as they do against a mayo or Dublin. That's the difference. We have them here let's get foot on the throat and get the win

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunsilly King on November 07, 2020, 12:28:12 AM
Quote from: bannside on November 06, 2020, 07:51:19 PM
Strong enough looking team, plenty of experience across the pitch too. Come on lads...surely theres a big 70 minutes in you.

Your joking me, there are two if not three players not near the level. Tomas McCann on the bench, simply incredible. What is going on in LHs head. If anyone thinks PC ( class player in his day) is fit enough to start championship at this level I'm a monkeys uncle. We haven't a chance. I hope like you we can give it a go but my head keeps batting my heart down the lough.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Cunningham rolling back the gears best player on the pitch

JimStynes

A few shots dropped short and a goal chance missed. That was the winning of the game. One thing that people can't shout about is a lack of effort, all the fellas on the pitch are busting their balls today.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on November 07, 2020, 02:20:28 PM
A few shots dropped short and a goal chance missed. That was the winning of the game. One thing that people can't shout about is a lack of effort, all the fellas on the pitch are busting their balls today.

Cavan dropped 4 or 5 in the first half and a couple already this half, seems to be a trend
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 07, 2020, 08:48:23 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 07, 2020, 06:40:01 AM
Poor enough side alright but I'm sure everyone would pick a different team and we don't see what's going on at training. I see at least 3 on the bench I'd be starting though.

This is it, when the job becomes available apply...

I'd charge a tenner a session so I'd be too expensive for Antrim.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on November 07, 2020, 02:26:01 PM
Poor enough side alright but I'm sure everyone would pick a different team and we don't see what's going on at training. I see at least 3 on the bench I'd be starting though.

[/quote
Use Armagh men are gangsters!

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 07, 2020, 02:28:10 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on November 07, 2020, 02:26:01 PM

[/quote
Use Armagh men are gangsters!

We are indeed!

That was a game that Antrim lost themselves. Enough chances to win 2 games.

EOC1923

Played almost half the game with an extra man. Opportunity missed there

antrimman667

Every young footballer in the county should look up to a player like Mick McCann. True professional, and looks after himself for the age of him. Unlucky today, but I think time for a change next year.

Milltown Row2

Yes we could have won it, look at the chance we had at the end summed up some of our issues, missed opportunities.

Dads army were our best players. Seems Tomas didn't start because he was injured but monkeys know more  ;D

bannside

Gutted to lose that. So much good play and composure. Lenny had his men well set up, a good system in place and there was more than enough opportunity to go and win the game. Had Paddy Gallagher hit the net at the start of the second half, we would have been nicely in the driving seat. There was a clear push on Paddy that could easily have been a penalty. Such small margins make so much difference at this level.

I think the players made a big positive statement today. Burst a gut from start to finish and although defeated, not in a laughing stock sort of way that has sometimes been the case in the past.

BrendanAntrim

Just so frustrating. Season after season, no wins in Ulster. We were well capable of winning that today. Some poor decisions especially in front of goal. Paddy C and Mick were great especially first half. Without them today we wouldn't have been in it, so does that mean we can't do without them?

paddyjohn

Name me a better player than Mick McCann in the county?

Points a Good Score

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 07, 2020, 03:30:22 PM
Name me a better player than Mick McCann in the county?

Conor Murray quite possibly the closet to him.

That was so frustrating today from an extremely economic first half to a wasteful second. Effort across the board was fantastic and nobody will be more disappointed than the lads.

There has been debate regarding S&C on here as last week or so and someone rightly pointed out that it doesn't kick the ball over the bar. What it does do though is enable you to hold onto possession in physical contact it was clear today that when Antrim took contact they inevitably got turned over. It happened on many occasions and had as much of a bearing on losing the game as the missed goal chance or wides kicked. It also has a major bearing on power output and pace.

We as a county and clubs have a responsibility here also, need to ensure our players are on sensible and safe conditioning programmes from 13/14 up.

This allied with continued and were possible improved coaching of the skills of the game and tactics is the only way we are going to improve.