Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on August 22, 2021, 04:11:55 PM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on August 22, 2021, 02:54:47 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on August 22, 2021, 02:49:04 PM
Moneyglass and Aldergrove in senior championships when in Div 2 hasn't work . 2 groups of 5 next year with 4 games then to semi final ? No brainer ?
What a about the other two senior teams u left out when coming up with brilliant idea 😳🙄
beingv a man I know I'm not perfect . 4 groups of 3 then but point us no div 2 teams for everyone's sake

Being a GAA man , you'd know the IFC winners , play up in SFC , the next year, they have no choice in the matter!

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: delgany on August 22, 2021, 04:34:05 PM
Moneyglass and Aldergrove in senior championships when in Div 2 hasn't work . 2 groups of 5 next year with 4 games then to semi final ? No brainer ?
What a about the other two senior teams u left out when coming up with brilliant idea 😳🙄
beingv a man I know I'm not perfect . 4 groups of 3 then but point us no div 2 teams for everyone's sake

Being a GAA man , you'd know the IFC winners , play up in SFC , the next year, they have no choice in the matter!
why not base championships on leagues ? Better way to make sure teams r in right championship. Sure u keep ur head in sand and accept 1.23 to 0.0 scores Chamge is allowed u know

Dunsilly King

So your brilliant idea is that if you win the junior or international championship you don't get promoted. Why didn't Antrim stay in the Joe McDonagh Cup? 🤡

Milltown Row2

But if you win a championship at 'your level' then you need to go up and compete, otherwise why bother? It's unfair on other teams if a team is too strong for intermediate
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on August 22, 2021, 05:46:48 PM
Quote from: delgany on August 22, 2021, 04:34:05 PM

why not base championships on leagues ? Better way to make sure teams r in right championship. Sure u keep ur head in sand and accept 1.23 to 0.0 scores Chamge is allowed u know

You 'd still have a team(if not 2) promoted from Div2 the previous season , playing in SFC the next year ! Clubs earn the right to test themselves at the next level -

themac_23

id have thought wed go back to straight knock out next year? some of the groups now pretty much done and be a good few dead rubbers, bring back knock out football. I understand why it was groups the last 2 years to give teams who were playing without county players a chance to bed them back in before knock out. but with the split season again next year shouldn't be a problem.

asaffgael

Quote from: Dunsilly King on August 21, 2021, 07:13:08 PM
How do Casements go from hammering St Brigids by 14 to getting bt by a v poor Ahoghill team by 1pt. It's obviously no fluke as they did it last season to. Won't help their development. Dermots injury a serious blow. I'll say nothing about the ref, seen him to often 🤡
[/quote

Ahoghill always have a big performance in them, especially against Casements. By all accounts Casements have only themselves to blame.

Spoke to a few people from both sides and were all of the opinion the ref in question was dreadful. Far too out of his depth. Was booking a player, seen it was going to be a second yellow and then stopped and done nothing apparently. Dermots injury was a result  of a ref unable to control the game.

Milltown Row2

Did the referee at any point injure the player? So I'm not confused with what you're saying
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 23, 2021, 12:42:53 PM
Did the referee at any point injure the player? So I'm not confused with what you're saying

He's saying when a referee doesn't control a match which is his job, inevitably as we have seen over the years and don't have to look any further than the Mayo/Dublin game, the aggression levels increase in response to every bad decesion the refs makes.

Tyrdub

Quote from: Dunsilly King on August 23, 2021, 01:50:45 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 23, 2021, 12:42:53 PM

He's saying when a referee doesn't control a match which is his job, inevitably as we have seen over the years and don't have to look any further than the Mayo/Dublin game, the aggression levels increase in response to every bad decesion the refs makes.

Referees can have total control of a match but all it takes is 1 loose arm and somebody is getting slapped about the head, or a mistimed tackle, which may not be intentional, can hurt someone, none of which is within the control of the referee.

Belfast GAA man

do club refs get much training? tough and lonely job alright being on a team of one a lonely pint job so to speak

Dunsilly King

Of course they can, thats correct, however my point well made, played in games and observed games where the ref has contributed to the increasing level of aggression by simply not doing what his basic responsibilities are. If you don't understand there is little point in debating. And as MR2 said the ref didn't do it, he is correct and players have responsibilities as well in this.

Tyrdub

Quote from: Dunsilly King on August 23, 2021, 02:25:37 PM
Of course they can, thats correct, however my point well made, played in games and observed games where the ref has contributed to the increasing level of aggression by simply not doing what his basic responsibilities are. If you don't understand there is little point in debating. And as MR2 said the ref didn't do it, he is correct and players have responsibilities as well in this.

As an ex player, and a current referee, I totally get where you're coming from, so please don't be disparaging when replying. I know you are correct when making your point, I too have witnessed refs losing control (probably me) and not helping matters, but you cannot blame the referee all the time is my point. Sometimes the players don't help themselves, sometimes the red mist comes down, and sometimes this IS caused by the referee, but as you said the players have responsibilities too.

rogercasement

I want to reiterate the referee was definitely not the reason we lost on Friday. He was the cause of the game becoming so fractious that Ahoghill had a sniff and full credit to them for seizing upon it. The ref completely lost control and after failing to book an ahoghill player who had already been booked he gave carte blanche to the players to go over the top without punishment, believe me there were equally bad decisions either way, still not sure how there was no card after penalty incident.
I want to finish by stating referee is the worst possible role on the pitch and I wouldn't do it, however he has a duty of care to the players which he didn't fulfill! Also for what it is worth I attach no blame to him for Dermot's injury! Sin e!

Calm Down

Looking on here interested on all the comments and when I was down the town today and in my local fruit shop I asked one of the refs umpires about the game, all man who I hold to be honest and know his football! His word was that God himself would have struggled to handle that game!!

As for the second yellow everyone seems to be talking about he said he asked the ref augury the game about that incident and he said the ref said he initially thought it was a high tackle round the neck and was going to book but decided to consult with his neutral umpires who told him it was across the chest and therefore did not merit a yellow card.

For me lads in a game like that if a ref books everything and ends up 12 a side he is a bollocks for not letting a game go and he spoiled it ant if it then lets a senior championship game he played with a bit of physicality it is also his fault!!! Hobson's choice