Greatly exaggerated GAA Myths

Started by From the Bunker, July 25, 2010, 10:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

1985   Cavan 4-07   Derry 0-05
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Feckitt

Down and Cavan each have 5 All-Irelands, but we'll all be dead and buried before anyone catches up with Cavan in the Ulster title stakes

Bogball XV

Quote from: dublinfella on July 27, 2010, 05:41:49 PM
That GAA players are the fittest in the world.

See also Kevin Moran/Graham Geraghty/Anthony Tohill were on trial with British club x and player y said they were the fittest they have ever seen in their autobiography, but strangely no-one can find the actual quote.
Paul Merson said it on an ITV sports programme, He was asked who the fittest player at Arsenal was and he answered by saying that it was a young irish lad, a gaelic footballer called Graham Geraghty, the fact that it wasn't written down may make it difficult to source the actual quote.  This was probably in the mid to late 90's, so it's also unlikely that streaming of said programme was available, if you'd like confirmation, you'd better ask Merson himself.

Kerry Mike

QuoteGooch once beat Kerry Mike in a Lucozade Sport drinking competition.

He did, it was the 19th bottle that did me, he's some man for the Lucozade is our Gooch
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2010, 11:52:29 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on July 28, 2010, 11:50:42 PM
Down are the most successful Ulster County
Yip, it has to be Antrim.

We are the aristocrats of Ulster GAA right enough.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

haveaharp

The Dubs started the shennanigins in the 83 football final.

Pat Spillane never set foot behind his own 45

cornafean

Pat Spillane never handpassed a ball
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

eireogatron

Quote from: ONeill on July 28, 2010, 11:53:22 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on July 28, 2010, 11:50:42 PM
Down are the most successful Ulster County

I'd contend that they are.

Down are won 5 lost 0 in All-Ireland final terms.
Cavan are won 5 lost 5.

so Cavan have got to more All Ireland finals then.

heffo

Quote from: ONeill on July 28, 2010, 05:28:35 PM
That the McMahon brothers rhymed off the bank details of Donaghy's and Walsh's accounts in 2008

That the same two had the phone numbers of the above girlfriends on the back of their boots.

Did you ever ask the player whether the story is true?

Maiden1

That Tyrone always lose midfield but win the match.

They maybe have 1 clean catch at midfield compared to 3 for the other team but when the ball breaks on the other 90% of kickouts they are very good at having a 1/2 forward or 1/2 back first to the ball.  If winning midfield means who comes out with the ball after the kickout most then they rarely lose midfield.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Onlooker

That Pat Spillane never took a dive to win a free.

eireogatron

Quote from: Maiden1 on July 29, 2010, 11:44:07 AM

They maybe have 1 clean catch at midfield compared to 3 for the other team but when the ball breaks on the other 90% of kickouts they are very good at having a 1/2 forward or 1/2 back first to the ball.  If winning midfield means who comes out with the ball after the kickout most then they rarely lose midfield.

i'll disagree with that. Most statistics show that they lose both catching and break ball stakes in midfield. However, their turnover count after the opposition secures possession from kick outs is off the charts and that is why they can afford to lose the "midfield battle"

mackers

Quote from: eireogatron on July 29, 2010, 12:25:25 PM

i'll disagree with that. Most statistics show that they lose both catching and break ball stakes in midfield. However, their turnover count after the opposition secures possession from kick outs is off the charts and that is why they can afford to lose the "midfield battle"
That's also why Mickey Harte fought tooth and nail to get the mark scrapped.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

eireogatron

Quote from: mackers on July 29, 2010, 02:02:54 PM
Quote from: eireogatron on July 29, 2010, 12:25:25 PM

That's also why Mickey Harte fought tooth and nail to get the mark scrapped.

yup.

Tyrone have a great plan whereby if they win primary ball from kickouts (either clean caught or broken) its a bonus. They have huge confidence in the tackling ability of their midfield, HB's and HF's which leads to turnover after turnover in games. They then have mobile players in those positions to break at speed and effectively it takes the opposition midfield out of the game, apart from kick outs.

Fair play to them as well.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 28, 2010, 03:55:19 PM
That Kevin McStay turned down a professional contract with Nottingham Forest

I was in the same class as Mc Stay, as far as I can remember he was supposed to go on a trial over the Christmas Break to Forest but it never happened.