Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Quote from: Glensman21 on September 22, 2021, 10:45:14 AM
Quote from: themac_23 on September 22, 2021, 09:56:53 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on September 21, 2021, 10:40:05 PM
Quote from: rogercasement on September 21, 2021, 10:37:44 PM
Is this a bit fishy?

Few factors in play that favoured Carey but safe to say there wouldn't have been 43 points in it if it was played on Gorts home pitch when it was originally due to be played.

Think I posted it on the football thread, the groups served a purpose last year but for the love of god please can we go back to straight knock out next year, groups served no purpose this year below senior.

100% right, at least teams like glenariffe wont be relaying on others to see if they continue in the championship or not. Now they are unbeaten but still out of the competition.

Unbeaten but 3 draws out of 5, they only won the "easy" games.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Glensman21

Quote from: Saffrongael on September 22, 2021, 10:47:09 AM
Is this a bit fishy?

Few factors in play that favoured Carey but safe to say there wouldn't have been 43 points in it if it was played on Gorts home pitch when it was originally due to be played.

Think I posted it on the football thread, the groups served a purpose last year but for the love of god please can we go back to straight knock out next year, groups served no purpose this year below senior.

100% right, at least teams like glenariffe wont be relaying on others to see if they continue in the championship or not. Now they are unbeaten but still out of the competition.

Yes but at least in normal championship those draws would goto extra time and a winner be decided or replay if needs be. Not relaying on other teams as i said. 

rogercasement

Yes, I have never been a fan of the groups, nor am I in favour of score difference particularly in club competitions where one injury or a covid case or a social event can completely distort the whole group, in the event of level points I'm sure a play off could have been involved. Harsh on Glenariffe, it will also come into play in the football where Johnny's or Rossa will miss out, same with St Endas/Aghagallon  and Pg1/Ahoghill.

Jonkunlon

And yet, in both competitions, the best 4 teams are left in each. Glenariffe the one club that could feel aggrieved. Carey gained an advantage in knowing what they had to do to qualify and further, Gort had no motivation but pride, in which they showed none.

If we had a strong proactive county board it would not have come to this in the Intermediate championship.

podge

Quote from: Jonkunlon on September 22, 2021, 01:52:17 PM
And yet, in both competitions, the best 4 teams are left in each. Glenariffe the one club that could feel aggrieved. Carey gained an advantage in knowing what they had to do to qualify and further, Gort had no motivation but pride, in which they showed none.

If we had a strong proactive county board it would not have come to this in the Intermediate championship.

I don't see the issue in the group stages to be honest. I do think it was odd that the senior championship 6 went through (2 to semi and 4 to quarter ) whereas in intermediate, historically the most competitive, only 4 went through

Caesar

I'm not sure "the best 4 teams are left in each" is a selling point of a group stage approach.

Everyone loves to see a weaker team rise to the occasion and upset the odds. The group format essentially act as a safety net for the big teams in this stage of the competition.

Straight knockout is the way forward for me

delgany

Why was the original Gnm  v carey match called off? The match should have been played before the final round of games.

Saffrongael

Quote from: delgany on September 22, 2021, 05:45:01 PM
Why was the original Gnm  v carey match called off? The match should have been played before the final round of games.

I think it was a bereavement connected to GNM but totally agree, the game should have been fulfilled before the final round of games. Four very evenly matched teams left in Intermediate, no favourite as far as I can see
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Saffball

Big weekend of championship hurling action coming up. Let me see your predictions mine are as follows.

Senior Semi Finals
Rossa vs Cushendall  - Rossa by 2
Dunloy vs St Johns - Dunloy by 6

Intermediate Semi Finals

Cushendun vs Carey - Carey by 4
Clooney Gaels vs Creggan - Creggan by 1

Junior Final

Glenravel vs Glenarm - Glenarm by 7

Junior Plate

Ardoyne vs Larne - Larne by 3

imtommygunn

I think cushendall may beat rossa and clooney beat creggan but that aside I would mainly agree.

Last Man

Quote from: Saffball on September 24, 2021, 07:29:47 AM
Big weekend of championship hurling action coming up. Let me see your predictions mine are as follows.

Senior Semi Finals
Rossa vs Cushendall  - Rossa by 6
Dunloy vs St Johns - Dunloy by 2

Intermediate Semi Finals

Cushendun vs Carey - C'dun by 4
Clooney Gaels vs Creggan - Creggan by 1

Junior Final

Glenravel vs Glenarm - Glenarm by 10+

Junior Plate

Ardoyne vs Larne - Ardoyne by 3

imtommygunn

Glenarm struggled a bit with rasharkin so not sure if they will win by as much as people think but they'd definitely be favourites too.

Just checked and Larne beat Ardoyne by a bit on the league so probably be the favourites. They won at this level a few years ago so probably favourites.

I kind of hope cushendun spring a surprise as it'd be good to see someone like them come through at that level.

Last Man

Glenarm have a greater scoring threat who, if they get going will be hard to stop.
Ardoyne were badly annoyed at losing that last game so I predict OB will be looking to put it right.
Cushendun have thrown the fear of losing away at long last and their young lads are growing in to themselves, look a better balanced team to me

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffrongael on September 22, 2021, 10:47:09 AM
Is this a bit fishy?

The Down Div1 Feile between ourselves, Bredagh and Portaferry round robin ended up with three drawn games and we ended up getting put out on a rule where "least scores conceded" was used. We'd scored the most but obviously conceded the most.

It had never been used in Down before and TBH we weren't even informed it was to be used before the competition began as Down competition rules normally state "most scores for".

CitySlicker11

Senior Semi Finals
Rossa vs Cushendall  - Rossa by 1
Dunloy vs St Johns - Dunloy by 5

Intermediate Semi Finals

Cushendun vs Carey - Cushenden by 2
Clooney Gaels vs Creggan - Clooney Gaels by2

Junior Final

Glenravel vs Glenarm - Glenarm by 5

Junior Plate

Ardoyne vs Larne - Ardoyne by 3