Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getevennotcross

IMHO, whilst important, too much emphasis is put on them when they are U 10, 12,14, 16.  At all levels up until U16, children should be allowed to develop and express their natural talent.  Its when they get above 16, is when the are most impressionable and open to diversion. At this age, I think it is when they need most attention, coaching, nurturing and looked after, which will enable them to overcome other distractions, otherwise we tend to lose them and don't have them progressing to Minor and U21 level.

hurlingstick

I have heard Loughiel v Ballycastle Feile is now moved to Tuesday night next week.can anyone confirm this.

glensgael

The feile match between Loughgiel and Ballycastle scheduled for tomorrow night is not being played as both teams play each other in the final on Saturday in Dunloy.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: getevennotcross on April 27, 2015, 08:58:20 PM
IMHO, whilst important, too much emphasis is put on them when they are U 10, 12,14, 16.  At all levels up until U16, children should be allowed to develop and express their natural talent.  Its when they get above 16, is when the are most impressionable and open to diversion. At this age, I think it is when they need most attention, coaching, nurturing and looked after, which will enable them to overcome other distractions, otherwise we tend to lose them and don't have them progressing to Minor and U21 level.

That would need to be a collective agreement by all the clubs in all the counties.... as for ourselves we lost a host of players that won couple minor and under 21 championships during that 5 year period... thats the natural fall off as you can only play 15 and not everybody is willing to hang about on the bench or even drop down to the reserves..

We have been lucky with that crowd of players because they were sucessful their parents were all Galls men and they were in the main good mates.... replicating that will be the difficult part but as Joe and Karl came through that set up it wont be lost on them the importance of training/games/tournaments/trips to Croker and bonding trips... all these things work towards keeping teams together
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hurlingstick

Quote from: glensgael on April 27, 2015, 09:57:57 PM
The feile match between Loughgiel and Ballycastle scheduled for tomorrow night is not being played as both teams play each other in the final on Saturday in Dunloy.

The final is tomorrow week.... County development squad at that age group play on Saturday

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on April 27, 2015, 04:28:33 PM
Yes
One touch
No Soloing is the norm

That would be the same for U12 (but some clubs/coaches like to play full rules 15 a side)

One touch equals lift, 4 steps, tap on the hurl, another 4 steps then strike I presume?

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2015, 10:51:43 PM

That would need to be a collective agreement by all the clubs in all the counties.... as for ourselves we lost a host of players that won couple minor and under 21 championships during that 5 year period... thats the natural fall off as you can only play 15 and not everybody is willing to hang about on the bench or even drop down to the reserves..

We have been lucky with that crowd of players because they were sucessful their parents were all Galls men and they were in the main good mates.... replicating that will be the difficult part but as Joe and Karl came through that set up it wont be lost on them the importance of training/games/tournaments/trips to Croker and bonding trips... all these things work towards keeping teams together

Its hard to break the win at all costs mentality in some people especially at underage and has recently led to me giving an ex player and parent a barrage of facts  ;) over not giving a f**k whether we win an U12 game or not, just give all the wee lads a run out and make them feel part of it.

Last Man

Quote from: johnneycool on April 28, 2015, 09:25:20 AM
Yes
One touch
No Soloing is the norm

That would be the same for U12 (but some clubs/coaches like to play full rules 15 a side)

One touch equals lift, 4 steps, tap on the hurl, another 4 steps then strike I presume?

Its hard to break the win at all costs mentality in some people especially at underage and has recently led to me giving an ex player and parent a barrage of facts  ;) over not giving a f**k whether we win an U12 game or not, just give all the wee lads a run out and make them feel part of it.
+1 and coach them all from 1st till last, don't let the 3/4 naturally gifted players mask poor basic standards throughout the team. As coaches we owe our kids that at least.

getevennotcross

Quote from: johnneycool on April 28, 2015, 09:25:20 AM
Yes
One touch
No Soloing is the norm

Good on ya JC, that's the ticket.  Giving all kids a run out, being part of, having fun and enjoying the experience, that's what its all about in my book.

hurlingstick

Great to hear these recent posts... Anyone from Loughiel/Ballycastle confirm if NA feile is this Saturday. I've heard conflicting dates

Seamroga in exile

I read that's there's movement on Dunsilly. If correct, not before time. Apparently it'll be up and running by June next year.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

cfclg

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 29, 2015, 09:28:30 AM
I read that's there's movement on Dunsilly. If correct, not before time. Apparently it'll be up and running by June next year.

Dun't be silly

getevennotcross

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 29, 2015, 09:28:30 AM
Probably a greater chance of a collective bowel movement in the first instance.  Is this the means of the current administration redeeming themselves and being vindicated?

Dualta Duane

can someone explain the nth antrim process for selecting the finalists for the nth Antrim feile final.

Think we (sth) could learn from it as it seems that there were whole pile more games played to get the eventual finalists and winners.

Also, was looking at the score lines from some of the games played and it seems that Oisins weren't too bad this year, which is great to see! any time i've watched Oisins play they always been tough tight games.

theskull1

Round Robin system ...every team plays each other...then top 2 teams go into the final ... if theres a tie for 2nd/3rd, then a play off game.

Same format for Feile A & Feile B
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Dualta Duane

probably a better option, think Down do something similar. two finalists in Sth Antrim - St Galls played 2 games, Rossa played 3.
Last year was worse as Rossa were due to play St Pauls in semi, they FTF so Rossa played St. Galls in final (1 Game!!) and went through to All County Feile final...