Ros v Dubs tomorrow

Started by The Hill is Blue, May 27, 2023, 03:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

but at the end of the day they managed to win Leinster and finish top of Division 2.

And the answer to that is so what ?. The Leinster Championship died a while ago. Division 2 is for less organised teams.
Dublin are a long way off 2020 form.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2023, 08:51:49 PM
but at the end of the day they managed to win Leinster and finish top of Division 2.

And the answer to that is so what ?. The Leinster Championship died a while ago. Division 2 is for less organised teams.

In that case the answer to all questions is...... So what?

So what Mayo beat Kerry
So what Kerry won Munster
So what Mayo won the League
So what Galway won Connacht
So what Derry won Ulster on Penalties
So what Roscommon beat Mayo
So what Monaghan beat Tyrone
So what Galway beat 14 man Tyrone
So what Sligo drew with Kildare
So what ................

Manning18

Quote from: thewobbler on May 30, 2023, 03:54:27 PM
See, no.

It's the same rule change that was needed a few years ago to prevent teams in front from clock-killing, of which Dublin were prime exponents and Ciaran Kilkenny was executor in chief.

It was a dour way to win games when Dublin did it. It's a dour way to stay competitive now Ros does it.

As mentioned above I have absolute respect for Ros for being competitive and disciplined.

But anyone who believes that our game would not be improved by the prevention elongated periods of non-contact possession, I honestly feel sorry for you. The Gaelic football bar now has been set so low for you, that you can gain enjoyment from a handful of passages of play, over 70 minutes. This is no way to live folks. Demand better.

There a quick fix option to help that would upset noone and it's so painfully obvious that I'm starting to second guess myself at this stage. Just go back to the defined striking action with a closed fist, same as we used to have not long ago whatsoever. Not sure why it was ever changed

It won't stop teams being able to punch it round outside the 65 when there's no press. However when there is a press, all those little easy flicks over the head, or flick backwards while your being tackled, all of a sudden become much harder to execute. It's very difficult to get a closed fistpass away accurately when someone has hands on you. It's very easy to get the little flick with the fingers away.

Team would actually then have a reason to press, having a realistic chance of a turnover. At the moment there's no point, you just tire yourself chasing shadows while the other team plays basketball only without a shot clock

onefineday

Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2023, 08:51:49 PM

Not sure they're that far off 2020 form, that was far from vintage Dublin.

onefineday

Quote from: Manning18 on May 30, 2023, 09:36:30 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 30, 2023, 03:54:27 PM
See, no.

It's the same rule change that was needed a few years ago to prevent teams in front from clock-killing, of which Dublin were prime exponents and Ciaran Kilkenny was executor in chief.

It was a dour way to win games when Dublin did it. It's a dour way to stay competitive now Ros does it.

As mentioned above I have absolute respect for Ros for being competitive and disciplined.

But anyone who believes that our game would not be improved by the prevention elongated periods of non-contact possession, I honestly feel sorry for you. The Gaelic football bar now has been set so low for you, that you can gain enjoyment from a handful of passages of play, over 70 minutes. This is no way to live folks. Demand better.

There a quick fix option to help that would upset noone and it's so painfully obvious that I'm starting to second guess myself at this stage. Just go back to the defined striking action with a closed fist, same as we used to have not long ago whatsoever. Not sure why it was ever changed

It won't stop teams being able to punch it round outside the 65 when there's no press. However when there is a press, all those little easy flicks over the head, or flick backwards while your being tackled, all of a sudden become much harder to execute. It's very difficult to get a closed fistpass away accurately when someone has hands on you. It's very easy to get the little flick with the fingers away.

Team would actually then have a reason to press, having a realistic chance of a turnover. At the moment there's no point, you just tire yourself chasing shadows while the other team plays basketball only without a shot clock
I thought Sunday was more piggy in the middle than basketball.
I think the easiest fix would be to call a foul when the attacking team play the ball back into their own half combined with a requirement to keep 2 players in the opposition half at all times.
It has to be worth trying at least?

statto

Dublin still rated as favourites for all ireland with the bookies which given the performance on Sunday and against Kildare is hard to believe.  Be interesting to see who tops the group will expect it to come down to score difference. 

Manning18

Quote from: statto on May 31, 2023, 10:42:26 AM
Dublin still rated as favourites for all ireland with the bookies which given the performance on Sunday and against Kildare is hard to believe.  Be interesting to see who tops the group will expect it to come down to score difference.

There's a high percentage Kerry meet the Group 2 winners (Galway favs at this point) with all the rules about no repeat group pairings, which lengthens boths price from where it could be. Mayo have rightly shortened in, and Dublin still look very likely to top their group

As proud as Roscommon can be with their performance Sunday, I'd be absolutely sick they didn't win if I was a fan. It doesn't materially change their chances of topping the group all that much, as it will now likely come down to scoring difference and Dublin have Sligo in the final game, potentially having an educated guess at how much they'll need to score. We've seen what Dublin can do to teams like this, i.e Laois, and having that game last is a huge advantage.

Roscommon's best hope may be Kildare nabbing something from this weeks game with Dublin, given Dublin's injuries

Hound

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 30, 2023, 03:01:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2023, 08:25:33 AM
What rule change d'ye want?
You can't pass the ball to a team mate?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41150701.html

It was remarkable to even have the balls to attempt that 6 minutes passage of play against Dublin in Croke Park.  A more than credible draw (could have should have won) is a big improvement from the last time Roscommon played Dublin in the championship, which was 4 years and 18 point defeat.  A selection of the comments after that match including your own.

Quote from: Hound on July 20, 2019, 07:58:31 PM
Roscommon though are probably perfect opponents to allow Dublin show their stuff.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 20, 2019, 08:11:04 PM
They'll have to take ALL the games out of Croke Park at this rate. Too many matches being played in funereal atmospheres. Doesn't make for an attractive product.

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2019, 08:41:55 PM
Dublin are simply a brilliant football team regardless of all the advantages they may or may not have. But feck me their games are incredibly boring to watch.

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2019, 12:52:19 AM
Just home from this away game.
Weary, depressed, disappointed for the lads but it was amateur boys against professional men.
Hard to know where we go from here, how many lads will have the appetite to slog it out over the winter again.

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2019, 04:26:37 PM
how can you sell a game to players where you are telling them to do their best and keep the score down? It's depressing.

But we need a rule change now because little old Roscommon found a way to be competitive against the mighty Dubs?

What an utterly ridiculous post. Quotes from a game 4 years ago, dealing with 2 very different teams playing in different ways.

As I said earlier if a team holds onto possession for 5 minutes or so, then it's totally the opposition's fault. I've no doubt most  Dubs were more frustrated with their own team not pushing on rather than Ros recycling. That changed in the second half. As a Dub, I'd be well confident of beating Ros in the semi final, if both of us were lucky enough to get there. No rule change required. Although I do highly rate the Ros manager, he could well have something else up his sleeve.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Hound on June 02, 2023, 01:17:53 PM
What an utterly ridiculous post. Quotes from a game 4 years ago, dealing with 2 very different teams playing in different ways.

As I said earlier if a team holds onto possession for 5 minutes or so, then it’s totally the opposition’s fault. I’ve no doubt most  Dubs were more frustrated with their own team not pushing on rather than Ros recycling. That changed in the second half. As a Dub, I’d be well confident of beating Ros in the semi final, if both of us were lucky enough to get there. No rule change required. Although I do highly rate the Ros manager, he could well have something else up his sleeve.

The point I was making has gone totally over your head.

First of all four years ago selected because it was the last championship between the two, discussion  on here was about the possession football tactic that makes games boring and need for a rule change.

For me more boring is one sided games whereby one side was so poorly organised without the ball that they allowed it to happen. Yes Dublin aren't at the level they once were but back in 2019 even Cork relegated to Div 2 gave a better account of themselves against Dublin in Croke Park and had Roscommon performed in a similar manner last Sunday it would have been 7 to 10 point defeat instead of having the last kick of the match to win it.

As for All Ireland semi final progression, Roscommon would probably need to top the group as if not three games in 14 days would take its toll on their fitness and conditioning. Dublin remain strong favourites to top the group and so long as they avoid Kerry in the last 8 they should at least be reaching the last 4.

Quote from: The Coddfather on June 02, 2023, 02:06:07 PM

An embarrassing post.

Says the WUM with embarrassing posts

The Coddfather

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 30, 2023, 03:01:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 30, 2023, 08:25:33 AM
What rule change d'ye want?
You can't pass the ball to a team mate?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41150701.html

It was remarkable to even have the balls to attempt that 6 minutes passage of play against Dublin in Croke Park.  A more than credible draw (could have should have won) is a big improvement from the last time Roscommon played Dublin in the championship, which was 4 years and 18 point defeat.  A selection of the comments after that match including your own.

Quote from: Hound on July 20, 2019, 07:58:31 PM
Roscommon though are probably perfect opponents to allow Dublin show their stuff.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 20, 2019, 08:11:04 PM
They'll have to take ALL the games out of Croke Park at this rate. Too many matches being played in funereal atmospheres. Doesn't make for an attractive product.

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2019, 08:41:55 PM
Dublin are simply a brilliant football team regardless of all the advantages they may or may not have. But feck me their games are incredibly boring to watch.

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2019, 12:52:19 AM
Just home from this away game.
Weary, depressed, disappointed for the lads but it was amateur boys against professional men.
Hard to know where we go from here, how many lads will have the appetite to slog it out over the winter again.

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2019, 04:26:37 PM
how can you sell a game to players where you are telling them to do their best and keep the score down? It's depressing.

But we need a rule change now because little old Roscommon found a way to be competitive against the mighty Dubs?

An embarrassing post.

seafoid

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on May 30, 2023, 04:04:17 PM
Quote from: onefineday on May 29, 2023, 11:59:05 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on May 29, 2023, 12:26:28 PM
A great performance by Roscommon yesterday. But surely no one can be surprised by this. They are a strong team who have battled it out with the top teams in the country over the past year and who came to Croke Park well prepared for the game. They came up against a Dublin team who had not been exposed to the required level of intensity for some time - and yet in the end Roscommon were lucky to get away with the draw. It may be that this will be the closest Roscommon will get to Dublin for some time.
Nonsense, Dublin are a pale shadow of what they were for most of the last decade.
So far this year kildare should have closed out the Leinster semi, Derry beat them, Clare should have held on, cork had a great chance to beat them too, didn't see the first kildare league game, but all of these games were more or less the minimum margin, they've had plenty of tight intense games this year.

Some fair points there.

Of course "Dublin are a pale shadow of what they were for most of the last decade", and it's for that reason that Dessie Farrell spent the league and Leinster Championship trying to beef up the squad. They didn't go out trying to wipe teams out but at the end of the day they managed to win Leinster and finish top of Division 2.

If we're honest, with the new championship format, it's very hard to assess where any of the teams stand now. There are a lot of games to be played yet. And we're all hoping for the best for our own favourites.

COYBIB

Winning the provincial championship doesn't seem to have been advantageous for Dublin, Kerry or Derry in the first round of the Group stages. Monaghan, Mayo and Roscommon all brougt a lot of energy to their games.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU