Laois GAA needs urgent help

Started by Joeythelips, May 10, 2023, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottoman

Quote from: clonadmad on May 15, 2023, 09:02:42 AM
Theres an onus in everyone in the clubs to step up too and sort out their coaching

A friend of mine from a traditional football county was involved in a football development squad here recently.

He was shocked at the standard of young lads that were being sent for trials and also being included on Panels

He said he could name the 4/5 clubs that were doing their coaching right based on the lads arriving in, the rest he said he was wondering what the hell they were doing in training

A complete lack of even the basics skills for that age group and level.

He described it a being like a first year maths teacher and lads coming in from the national schools, not being able to add or subtract.

The inequality in coaching is massive and I don't know how you address it. I don't like having a go at coaches either as, 90% of the time it comes down to parents giving up their spare time to try and drive things on, especially at club level. I'm also a Laois exile in faraway lands so I probably have even less grounds to give an opinion on this, but  I'll give a small example of what I witnessed. I was home visiting my sister a few weeks back and it coincided with an u7 and u9 hurling blitz that my nephew was playing in. Our home club is Clough Ballacolla and we were taking on a neighboring team of similar size. There was no scoreboard or score keeping, but if there was it would have been a similar case to that Tipp u17 match and it would have been turned off. The Clough/Ballacolla young lads were just so far ahead in every aspect of early stage hurling development that you couldn't even try make a competitive affair out of things. I couldn't get my head around it, there was no big lads who were walking through players as you often see at that level, it was just the very basic stuff that had them worlds apart. The whole thing was demoralising affair for all involved by the end and it does nobody any use. There should be no reason why there's such a massive chasm between a group of 7 and 9 year olds who live no more than 10 miles apart!

Laois Rising

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. It definitely comes to mind looking at Laois hurling at the moment.

Chrimtain

Following their humiliating defeat to Wexford last week, tonight, our minor footballers have been well beaten by Wicklow.

I mean no disrespect to Wicklow, but how much lower can we go? At both adult and underage level, maybe along with Carlow, we must be at rock bottom in Leinster football now. And we all know Leinster football is the weakest of the four provinces.

Yes, Laois GAA needs urgent help!!!

On the other hand, maybe we should bask in the praise OMP's broadcasting facilities received from TG4 recently.

Is it possible our CB is prioritising the provision of facilities at OMP above the promotion of the games in the county?

High Fielder

It feels quite hopeless, sadly.

I do know one thing, and I say this specifically with football in mind. In the last number of years, we've been doing no more than throwing the dice. We keep putting teams into competitions but the reality is they're miles behind. Some have fared better than others, but eventually we end up getting taught a lesson. It won't just magic itself better and we won't just play our way out of it. Right now, we're doing the same things on a yearly basis and expecting different results. Madness

georgedoylesrightleg

satanta runnin, morda og startin. lads need to get in n help out.

Spiritof86

First of all people need to stop mentioning Zoom and Cheddar in relation to been director or head development officer etc etc . They've been asked on more than one occasion and are clearly not interested . They've invested a lot of their time in Laois GAA over the years and they owe us nothing

. The Setanta Hurling programme started last Wednesday in Laois split between the centre of excellence and Clonad . Great numbers in attendance.
There is a football equivalent due to start at end of the month.

Unfortunately the problems in Laois GAA are a lot more complicated than the above .

High Fielder

People are fed up with the regime and their inability to do anything worthwhile. These people are administrators, not innovators. People reference Offaly a lot on here, but they have someone over them who is driving and pushing. That has created momentum and people are getting interested again. We're a busted flush. Out on our arse completely

georgedoylesrightleg

is creg doin anythin to help i wondr.

redsetanta

Offaly on a steep upward curve.  U20 Leinster on top of last years minor win.

If the will is there, there is a way.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Chrimtain

Quote from: redsetanta on May 18, 2023, 01:01:25 PM

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they win a senior All Ireland title within the next decade and I bet that's their ambition. If Offaly can do it, is there any reason why we can't achieve some success?

High Fielder

History, funding, Chairman, better coaches/coaching. Off the top of my head. And genuinely, I don't intend to be mean spirited by saying that. I just have zero faith in anything we're doing at the moment

clonadmad

Won it with 6 of last years minor team starting as well

In a minor football semifinal also

In the Joe McDonagh Final and probably going to be very competitive in the Tailteann cup also

Interesting to note also the number of dual players they have at the underage grades

Where we have the mentors in underage squads here telling lads to choose one

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Chrimtain on May 18, 2023, 04:30:01 PM

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they win a senior All Ireland title within the next decade and I bet that's their ambition. If Offaly can do it, is there any reason why we can't achieve some success?

Offaly Senior all Ireland in the next decade ???? There's not a snowballs chance in hell that will happen