Laois Senior Hurlers 2023

Started by mcwregor, November 18, 2022, 08:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: burdizzo on May 13, 2023, 10:12:48 PM
The second quarter against Carlow wasn't too hot, either.

Carlow could easily beat Offaly. Offaly're playing a dangerous game. Here's hoping... But, on the other hand, didn't we play a bloodless draw w/ Westmeath the time we were to play them in the final?

We did. But both ourselves and WH had already qualified for that final at that time? We were very competitive in that match - and drew it.

Laois Rising

It's a pity Laois conceded that last minute penalty to Carlow. Shouldn't have lost that day and it looks like that the team has finally found its stride but to no avail because we have missed out on the final. Playing Offaly in the final would have been a great occasion. I think we are now probably that bit stronger than them as well now that different players have returned from injury and others like Ross King have found their rhythm. Such a missed opportunity. Beating Offaly and a home game then to follow with probably Dublin would have really given hurling in the county a lift which is badly needed. Maher was building to have the team peak for the "business end" of the season. We just sadly missed the boat on that through unfortunate circumstances and switching off in a game before it was won.

burdizzo

Even more of a pity now, seeing as it's a big possibility Wexford will be in McDonagh next year, and all. Honestly, the Leinster championship has become like a slow-horse race, compared to the Munster one!

Laois Rising

Wexford might benefit from a year in the Joe McDonagh and building some momentum winning games on a consistent basis. However, it makes our challenge of getting back into the Leinster championship all the more harder if they do end up in the Joe McDonagh next year. I'm still so frustrated that we have made a complete rocks of this year's Joe McDonagh- Laois are a level above Carlow and Kerry and, despite the renewed optimism in Offaly hurling, I still think we are better than them when at full strength. A Laois Offaly final could have been a wonderful advertisement for the Joe McDonagh. Instead, we will probably see Offaly win comfortably and poor Carlow sent like lambs to the slaughter to play either Cork or Limerick in a premlinary quarter final.   

marty34

Quote from: Laois Rising on May 22, 2023, 11:00:25 AM
Wexford might benefit from a year in the Joe McDonagh and building some momentum winning games on a consistent basis. However, it makes our challenge of getting back into the Leinster championship all the more harder if they do end up in the Joe McDonagh next year. I'm still so frustrated that we have made a complete rocks of this year's Joe McDonagh- Laois are a level above Carlow and Kerry and, despite the renewed optimism in Offaly hurling, I still think we are better than them when at full strength. A Laois Offaly final could have been a wonderful advertisement for the Joe McDonagh. Instead, we will probably see Offaly win comfortably and poor Carlow sent like lambs to the slaughter to play either Cork or Limerick in a premlinary quarter final.   

Laois are where they are.  No point saying we're better than Kerry or Carlow etc.

Sense of entitlement must be huge in Laois.

You are where you are for a reason.  No ifs or buts!

Giovanni

Delighted for Carlow. Well deserved on the day.

smcder

thought carlow left it behind when it went to extra time, great ending, great final two points

redsetanta

Really exciting game to watch and to see what it meant to the Carlow people.

As Marty Kavanagh said it was their All Ireland.

A game against the Dubs now and they should give it a right go.

You have to feel though that we left this one behind with that draw against Carlow. No doubts Carlow were good and Offaly maybe underestimated them but we were playing well and that performance in Kerry showed that.

To have Dublin back in O'Moore Park would have been a great day again. But not to be.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

On the plus side, Wexford didn't get demoted, and we should have Offaly at home next year. And Kerry. Not sure about Westmeath, but should have them at home, as well.

Zooming around

Is there any indication as to whether William Maher is staying on or not?

Joeythelips

Quote from: Zooming around on June 21, 2023, 09:45:18 AM
Is there any indication as to whether William Maher is staying on or not?

Whats the general opinion of this year? Just based on a results we seemed to have taken a dip. I watched the Joe McD final and was thinking surely Laois are better than both these sides?

Laois Rising

Laois were unlucky. They were coming good by the end of the Joe McDonagh and had they made the final I think they would have been too strong for either Carlow and Offaly. Injuries and looking to peak later in the season backfired as Carlow grabbed a fortuitous last minute penalty to scupper Maher's plans. I hope everyone he had in this year stays on for next year. We will have a league campaign and Joe McDonagh where we should win more games than we will lose. Will be good for confidence and it will help integrate some of our u20s from the last year or two who have showed true potential into the side without shipping big beatings from likes of Tipperary or Kilkenny. It's not ideal to find ourselves in the position we are in but we could claim a league and Joe McDonagh title next year which would be positive for the squad's upward trajectory.       

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Laois Rising on June 21, 2023, 11:08:13 AM
Laois were unlucky. They were coming good by the end of the Joe McDonagh and had they made the final I think they would have been too strong for either Carlow and Offaly. Injuries and looking to peak later in the season backfired as Carlow grabbed a fortuitous last minute penalty to scupper Maher's plans. I hope everyone he had in this year stays on for next year. We will have a league campaign and Joe McDonagh where we should win more games than we will lose. Will be good for confidence and it will help integrate some of our u20s from the last year or two who have showed true potential into the side without shipping big beatings from likes of Tipperary or Kilkenny. It's not ideal to find ourselves in the position we are in but we could claim a league and Joe McDonagh title next year which would be positive for the squad's upward trajectory.     

There was something up with our fitness / stamina this year. In far too many matches we were FAR the better side in the first half but seemed to die in the second half. Hopefully there is a learning there. We didn't seem to hit any form until the Kerry match when it was too late.

Zooming around

What's the story with the senior hurling league?  I read today that Abbeyleix have appealed. What happened?

Laois man

County board made at feck of it.