The North American / Canada GAA and Hurling thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, January 18, 2007, 08:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Anybody hear how Boston is going at the moment? Was over with Donegal last year.I suppose the Macs are still the team to beat?

behind the wire

not sure what about boston but was over in philadelphia there for a month. football is dying out in philly. only 2 clubs left.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

IVEDECIDED

Does anyone know how the football is going in San Fran this summer?

The Iceman

I'd say the future of gaelic football in america lies in the hands of americans - i know the hurling scene around philadelphia is picking up and there are a lot of americans of irish decent being introduced to the game and loving it

australia is the biggest thing affecting football and gaelic sports in general over here - all the university ones and younger players who could go anywhere seem to be choosing OZ first
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

behind the wire

Quote from: The Iceman on August 07, 2008, 03:30:16 PM
I'd say the future of gaelic football in america lies in the hands of americans - i know the hurling scene around philadelphia is picking up and there are a lot of americans of irish decent being introduced to the game and loving it

australia is the biggest thing affecting football and gaelic sports in general over here - all the university ones and younger players who could go anywhere seem to be choosing OZ first

you are definitely right about the future of gaa in america lying in the hands of americans. the irish community in philadelphia seems to have dwindled in recent times, i think this is also prevalent all along the east coast.

there are alot of americans playing now which can only be a good thing, played with a few of them this summer and some of them would not look out of place on a team at home.

hurling seems to be getting stronger in philly at underage level but at senior level there is only one club left. there was another one running last year, brian boru i think, but it folded.

The Iceman

brian boru folded - shamrocks are the main team with the allentown hibernians just taking off

shamrocks run out against them a few times in the summer

we tried to string together a team here in nj where i am but not enough interest - so we're going with the shamrocks and hoping to build on that as time goes by

there are a lot of decent americans playing right now but i do believe the way forward is to have less % of "real irish" on the senior or "A" teams.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

behind the wire

shamrocks seem to have a decent hurling set up. eamonn lyons seemed to think they would give it a good rattle this year. the shamrocks football team didnt really take off. there is a club in philly called eire og, all americans. they were playing senior with shamrocks and have some very decent footballers.

shapes

What stage is Boston at at the moment, if anyone on this board is involved in shannon blues can you let us know how you are doing thanks.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: boojangles on August 06, 2008, 12:55:56 AM
Anybody hear how Boston is going at the moment? Was over with Donegal last year.I suppose the Macs are still the team to beat?
Quote from: shapes on August 10, 2008, 12:23:33 AM
What stage is Boston at at the moment, if anyone on this board is involved in shannon blues can you let us know how you are doing thanks.

Maybe this will help

http://www.tharantrasnan.blogspot.com/

boojangles

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 10, 2008, 12:53:06 AM
Quote from: boojangles on August 06, 2008, 12:55:56 AM
Quote from: shapes on August 10, 2008, 12:23:33 AM

Maybe this will help

http://www.tharantrasnan.blogspot.com/
What do ya know they make the Semis the year after I come out.Thanks Carmen

Carmen Stateside

Young Tyrone man playing well at corner formard for them i see! :)

gortnaleck

In San Fran Sean Traceys are going as Senior and the Intermediate is between the Ulster and Boru.Enda Gaffney is playing Jun for Ulster (Boojangles may be interested).Only two hurling teams and I think Na Fianna won that

redandblack4ever

FYI in Chicago last Sunday the Parnells beat the St. Brendan's for the Chicago League. Rumor had it the Brendan's were going to object, but they didn't.  Tommy Dolan couldn't get the NACB to give the Brendan's a break a week before because they (the Brendans) refused to play extra time in a drawn game even though it has been posted on every schedule that the Central Divisional Board put out, the extra time would be played in the case of a draw.

I guess the NACB is finally seeing the Chicago St. Brendan's for the crybabies and fools that they are. They cannot take a beating on the field, they always have to run to the NACB and Tommy Dolan to get their way.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

Niall Quinn

Toronto Mens Championship Semi Finals

Ottawa Gaels 2-13 v Durham 2-11
St. Vincents 0-9 St. Mikes 0-12

Thought you might be interested Sparky!
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

HowdyDoody

Boston Finals
Saturday August 23, 2008
Field A
2:30 Jr B - Celtics v Aidan McAnespies
4:00 JH - Wexford v Tipperary