The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

It wouldnt suprise me if its shut down again within six months and the media start the whole cirucs again fawmning over them  if it gets shut down again the media should just ignore them and there pay cut to Zero but that wont happen.It wouldnt even suprise me if they pull out again this week.

smort

Yes, there could be twists and turns before the end of the week, they're not back in yet

AustinPowers

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 30, 2024, 08:43:33 AMWhen is the Jamie Bryson joke over?

You feel a bit for Donaldson then you remember what trailer says. What is that song you lie down with dogs you get fleas etc.

He's  the unionist version of Jedward.

And I'd say  even they got more  votes than him in the last election

ranch

Quote from: Substandard on January 30, 2024, 12:23:27 AMMad stuff.
Surely the BBC can't platform Bryson again after that escapade, or even Allister for cheerleading it.
The fall-out of this will be very interesting.  A weakened DUP, and a few inevitable defections to TUV.  If the primary objection was a Nationalist First Minister, then they not only shot themselves in the foot, they danced on a nail, jumped on a landmine, then amputated the foot and threw it in a barrel of acid.

There'll be few, if any, defections. Maybe the odd disgruntled MLA or councillor.
They get elected and earn a living based on their status in the DUP, the majority are not going to risk their livelihood for this.
Get back into the executive and by the time the next election comes around they'll still be the biggest Unionist party.
Come the next assembly election don't be surprised to see them and UUP come to some sort of arrangement whereby they run as separate parties, but sit as one in the assembly, giving Unionism the FM position once more.

Keyser soze

Isn't it completely ludicrous that there are still a significant percentage of unionists that will get behind a campaign with slogans such as No Surrender, the Slippery Slope to Dublin, No Sellout, For God and Ulster etc people amongst us living in a different millennium to the rest of the planet.

trailer

I cannot see there being any major defections to the TUV or others. The DUP has a huge clout in Orange Lodges, Churches and Tea rooms across Ulster. Jumping to the TUV would be political suicide unless they have an ultra super safe seat. Some of these MLA's and MPs are lunatics. Unelectable unless they have the big party behind them. Jonathan Bell a perfect example. While Sammy Wilson and Ian Paisley might not like it they'll suck it up. Dodds and Morrow who have cushy HOL positions can be slightly more vocal but expect Dodds to be bought off with a ministerial position or a baroness title for his wife.

Bryson on the other hand won't be easily handled. Of course he is a muppet but I listened to part of his exchange with Nolan this morning and he is a good media performer. Nolan criticised him for publicising a private DUP meeting on X last night. Bryson pointed out that Nolan did exactly the same a week or so ago dialling in from the USA. Now I didn't have section 7a of whatever legislation he was quoting to hand but he was able to make fairly coherent arguments based on legal text and what he had heard and seen last night about sea borders and acts of union. To me I don't give a f**k if the sea border eats him, but many others in the Unionist community listen to him and that will be an issue for JD.

Someone said it above.... they're not back in yet.

imtommygunn

It's hard to know sometimes if it's an amplified minority or there are lots of unionists who think like that. Unfortunately there are way more than you would hope for regardless.

Social media definitely amplifies things as if you look at the protestors there were at that meeting last night there really weren't very many. Just like the flag protests.

trailer

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 30, 2024, 11:28:27 AMIt's hard to know sometimes if it's an amplified minority or there are lots of unionists who think like that. Unfortunately there are way more than you would hope for regardless.

Social media definitely amplifies things as if you look at the protestors there were at that meeting last night there really weren't very many. Just like the flag protests.

Hard to know but their stance hasn't harmed their popularity in the polls. As good of indicator that we have. If/when they go back it will be interesting to see if there's any change.

93-DY-SAM

They are a laughing stock. Was barely touched on the BBC and ITV breakfast news this morning which shows you how much of a priority the story is with them. If only they'd report the farcical details of last night to their viewers it would open their eyes a bit more to think that these clowns had their hands anywhere near the levers of power in GB not that long ago aided by a Tory government.

Milltown Row2

This isn't difficult to understand, Unionist will veto (rightly or wrongly) any attempts to 'break away' from the Union.

They have been sucking on that tit for so long that it might take another 100 years for them to ween off it

All Nationalists should be doing is let them at it, if the border poll shows that a Ref'n is ready then take it, still think its further away than some feel
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Pub Bore

Wee Jeff trying to polish a turd.  EU have said they expect the UK to fulfil its obligations under the Framework. Brexiter headbangers have said GB will continue to be able to diverge. A bit of tinkering at the edges and a lot of cosmetics.  If they go back this week, I give the Assembly 12-18 months before some other issue brings it down.

imtommygunn

It's all going to be smoke and mirrors but if they go in and they get 3 billion or whatever they get you can be sure the tories won't give this out without conditions. I doubt they would be able to just coup it again quickly.

(Although in an ideal world the tories won't be in that much longer so that is another variable to be thrown in the mix.)

NAG1

Quote from: Pub Bore on January 30, 2024, 12:11:30 PMWee Jeff trying to polish a turd.  EU have said they expect the UK to fulfil its obligations under the Framework. Brexiter headbangers have said GB will continue to be able to diverge. A bit of tinkering at the edges and a lot of cosmetics.  If they go back this week, I give the Assembly 12-18 months before some other issue brings it down.

This is it in a nutshell, the hardliners on the Unionist side are right, this deal changes nothing essentially. A couple of cosmetic details on the edges that were easily agreed.
But if JD can get them into the Assembly and up and running again, the local issues will take over and the quick wins of public sector pay increases and budgets actually being in place should get them through the first tricky weeks/ months and the rest hopefully will die down.

Alliance and SDLP are seeking for reform of the assembly to stop one party being able to bring the place down, if there are any right thinking MLAs up there surely this is top priority for the assembly as well.

No sympathy for the DUP and I hope that come the next election that they and TUV have a proper election spat and they eat themselves. Gone are the days of a Unionist majority no matter how much they kick and scream.

AustinPowers

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 30, 2024, 12:14:22 PMIt's all going to be smoke and mirrors but if they go in and they get 3 billion or whatever they get you can be sure the tories won't give this out without conditions. I doubt they would be able to just coup it again quickly.

(Although in an ideal world the tories won't be in that much longer so that is another variable to be thrown in the mix.)

Yes.  If the DUP return to Stormont , that means  the  people will suffer as there will be  rates hikes, prescription charges,  water charges  etc.

Now , say what you like about   Britain having to pay for those and NI not  , the fact is,  it's always the ordinary folk who  foot the bill. In this case , people will pay for    the north being  mismanaged and underfunded for decades

Workers will get  some  sort of a raise. But it will be taken away as  quickly 

ranch

Quote from: NAG1 on January 30, 2024, 12:20:25 PM
Quote from: Pub Bore on January 30, 2024, 12:11:30 PMWee Jeff trying to polish a turd.  EU have said they expect the UK to fulfil its obligations under the Framework. Brexiter headbangers have said GB will continue to be able to diverge. A bit of tinkering at the edges and a lot of cosmetics.  If they go back this week, I give the Assembly 12-18 months before some other issue brings it down.

This is it in a nutshell, the hardliners on the Unionist side are right, this deal changes nothing essentially. A couple of cosmetic details on the edges that were easily agreed.
But if JD can get them into the Assembly and up and running again, the local issues will take over and the quick wins of public sector pay increases and budgets actually being in place should get them through the first tricky weeks/ months and the rest hopefully will die down.

Alliance and SDLP are seeking for reform of the assembly to stop one party being able to bring the place down, if there are any right thinking MLAs up there surely this is top priority for the assembly as well.

I can't see how that can be achieved. The whole point was to implement power sharing so the days of majority rule couldn't be brought back. Such a big change would require a huge re-negotiation including the two governments.
The DUP had a mandate for their position, and will get a mandate for their new position at the next election as well, they've no party capable of challenging them within Unionism.