Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 08, 2020, 11:38:55 AM
40 years ago John Lennon murdered.  How time flies.

Sitting eating my cornflakes getting ready to get the school bus for 8.30, hearing the news on the radio that he had been shot and much of the talk being about his 5 year old son.  Huge amount of Beatles films and footage of him that Christmas. I visited New York some years back and stood at the entrance to the Dakota where he was shot and thought back to that moment of hearing the news.  Who knows what classic tracks Chapman robbed the world of.
That's just, like your opinion man.

BennyHarp

1982 World Cup legend Paolo Rossi.
That was never a square ball!!

ziggy90

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 10, 2020, 06:37:48 AM

RIP Paulo.
He epitomised our perception of the Italian male: sharp, stylish but deadly.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: ziggy90 on December 10, 2020, 07:17:58 AM

RIP Paulo.
He epitomised our perception of the Italian male: sharp, stylish but deadly.

+1 RIP

nrico2006

Only reading up on Rossi's stats this morning and always though he was more prolific to be honest.  Didn't play a lot of games in his career and retired early.  What happened to him?  Did he have injuries or did his powers just wane earlier than normal.  He would have only been around 30 at the 1986 world cup.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Pub Bore

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 10, 2020, 10:18:32 AM
Only reading up on Rossi's stats this morning and always though he was more prolific to be honest.  Didn't play a lot of games in his career and retired early.  What happened to him?  Did he have injuries or did his powers just wane earlier than normal.  He would have only been around 30 at the 1986 world cup.

He was banned for two years after a match fixing scandal.  Missed Euro 80 because of this.  I think he had only played a month or so when selected for the 82 World Cup squad.  He was a controversial choice for the squad.

sid waddell

Italy were very poor in general at the 1986 World Cup

Defending champions performing poorly at the next tournament has been a serious pattern for a long time - only Brazil 1998 broke this pattern, Argentina 1990 were also poor but somehow struggled through to the final

Italy-Brazil '82 is the ultimate football match

Along with Argentina-England '86, the two greatest World Cup matches I think - and now the stars of both of them are gone in two weeks

Billys Boots

That Italy-Brazil game is probably still the best game I've ever watched - such a clash of styles and approaches to the game.  I can remember it like it happened yesterday.  RIP Paolo.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: sid waddell on December 10, 2020, 11:31:29 AM

Defending champions performing poorly at the next tournament has been a serious pattern for a long time - only Brazil 1998 broke this pattern, Argentina 1990 were also poor but somehow struggled through to the final

Along with Argentina-England '86, the two greatest World Cup matches I think - and now the stars of both of them are gone in two weeks

West Germany France 82 has to come into any discussion about greatest ever

J70

sid waddell

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 10, 2020, 12:24:31 PM

It was very good and very dramatic but I think a notch below the other two

Context and historical significance is important too

Italy and Argentina went on to win the '82 and '86 World Cups - the two greatest World Cups bar maybe 1970 - and those matches are even more remembered than the finals they won

Italy - Brazil was a very historically significant match in terms of style - Italian pragmatism beat Brazilian flair - Brazilian football changed a lot because of that match - but it was a great Italian team

Argentina - England '86 was the ultimate showdown which mattered on levels way beyond football, I don't think any football match now could have anywhere near the deep and long lasting cultural significance of that match

Plus, there is something about a classic World Cup match played in the blazing sunshine that captures the spirit of the World Cup more than a match played under floodlights

Brazil-Italy 1970 would be up there in terms of cultural significance and joy and a celebration of what a particular idea of football meant, but it didn't quite have the drama of the other two matches

ziggy90

The semi-final of the 1970 WC, West Germany v Italy would have to rank right up there in the discussions.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

mouview

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 10, 2020, 12:24:31 PM

As would France-Brazil 1986.

Is that 82 Brazil team subject for revisionism? For all that many call it one of the greatest ever, it's unlikely it was even the best Brazilian side ever. They beat weak Scotland and NZ teams in the group games, got enough of it from the USSR, beat the Argies in a war of a match and were overturned by Italy and Rossi. They couldn't defend for toffee. The French side 82 - 86 were at least equally good I would suggest.

sid waddell

Quote from: ziggy90 on December 10, 2020, 01:03:11 PM
The semi-final of the 1970 WC, West Germany v Italy would have to rank right up there in the discussions.
For drama yes but like France v West Germany 1982 most of the drama came in extra-time when the players were bolloxed

Italy-Brazil '82 was the highest level of drama and quality from first whistle to last and unusually for a big World Cup tie what it also had was that European tie away goal type dynamic where one goal either way swung it, there was no such a thing as it being level at any stage - Italy had to win, while a draw would have been an effective win for Brazil

In the post-1986 era, Romania v Argentina 1994 and Holland v Argentina 1998 are two matches I would rate very highly - they were filled with drama and quality throughout - but the winners of both matches went out in the next round

Italy v Argentina 1990 is under rated - for context, occasion and drama, it should rate highly

Germany v Italy 2006 had an amazing finish, one of the great finishes, but I think people slightly over rate it because of that finish - my recollection is that it was a pretty decent match but at the same time it was goalless for 118 minutes - it had some kick at the end, mind