The US policing crisis thread

Started by Eamonnca1, April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Did they have their own guns or... are they bring charged with possession of the cops guns that they allegedly grabbed?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston.com/news/local-news/2018/04/13/man-charged-with-murdering-yarmouth-police-officer-sean-gannon/amp

My buddy attempted to serve a warrant on the same individual 2 weeks before he shot Officer Gannon

Cops aren't putting pensioners out of pubs-they're dealing with extremely dangerous criminals and unpredictable and violent drug addicts

And the fire dept in a local town were ordered to remove a flag honoring officer Michael Chesna after someone complained

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston.com/news/local-news/2018/07/16/weymouth-police-officer-michael-chesna-vera-adams-fatally-shot/amp

But the cops are always the bad guys, right?

Gabriel_Hurl

Story time with whitey - fantastic

whitey

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 11, 2020, 07:15:55 PM
Story time with whitey - fantastic

When you live somewhere for 25 years and you're in my line of work you get to know an awful lot of people

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2020, 07:14:09 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston.com/news/local-news/2018/04/13/man-charged-with-murdering-yarmouth-police-officer-sean-gannon/amp

My buddy attempted to serve a warrant on the same individual 2 weeks before he shot Officer Gannon

Cops aren't putting pensioners out of pubs-they're dealing with extremely dangerous criminals and unpredictable and violent drug addicts

And the fire dept in a local town were ordered to remove a flag honoring officer Michael Chesna after someone complained

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston.com/news/local-news/2018/07/16/weymouth-police-officer-michael-chesna-vera-adams-fatally-shot/amp

What about a sensible approach, if they are so dangerous why intercept on the street? Wait till they go to kindergarten or middle school and lift them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2020, 06:57:00 PM
Did they have their own guns or... are they bring charged with possession of the cops guns that they allegedly grabbed?

"He's reaching for a gun" is the standard porcine mantra that they call out before they're about to shoot someone. If a gun is found on the victim, great. If not, change the story to "he was reaching for my gun." As you can probably see on this thread, there are plenty of people out there who will believe anything the cops say after they attack black people.

whitey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2020, 07:34:35 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2020, 07:14:09 PM

What about a sensible approach, if they are so dangerous why intercept on the street? Wait till they go to kindergarten or middle school and lift them

Doesn't apply to these 2 cases, maybe it does to the one Eamonn referenced

I think the people who've never lived here have no idea as to the level of criminality in some of these communities. 

A gang of 10-17 year olds in Chicago are suspected in 15 armed carjackings. Imagine trying to teach or discipline kids like that

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/platform/amp/crime/2020/7/20/21327232/calumet-heights-carjacking-alyssa-blanchard-trinity-hospital

Milltown Row2

Sister car was carjacked on the Malone Ed one year... no one died. True story

J70

Its going to take a lot of reform and time to build trust between the authorities and minority communities. If I was a black man from a poor neighbourhood, I would probably say "f**k the police" too, and so would the vast majority of us here. Its rather sad (but not surprising) that a large segment of American society rejects out of hand that black and brown communities have legitimate reasons to mistrust the entire justice system. That the police are not the only repressive force at play in places besieged by criminality and social deprivation doesn't mean that they are not a problem. And let's face it – if it wasn't for mobile phones, none of this would have come to a head and police misconduct would still be being covered up and unacknowledged.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on August 11, 2020, 08:03:58 PM
Its going to take a lot of reform and time to build trust between the authorities and minority communities. If I was a black man from a poor neighbourhood, I would probably say "f**k the police" too, and so would the vast majority of us here. Its rather sad (but not surprising) that a large segment of American society rejects out of hand that black and brown communities have legitimate reasons to mistrust the entire justice system. That the police are not the only repressive force at play in places besieged by criminality and social deprivation doesn't mean that they are not a problem. And let's face it – if it wasn't for mobile phones, none of this would have come to a head and police misconduct would still be being covered up and unacknowledged.

We've been hating the police here for years! Many still do

whitey

If I was Trump I would demand a huge surge in hiring of minority police officers.

The police is a great 6 figure job for working class white people. One of my Irish American clients (who's own father is retired BPD) refers to anyone he knows in the police as being "on the Irish dole".....getting paid big money for doing fvck all. (Most of the time )

But your "fvck the police" stance is highly offensive...my buddy lost his training partner who was shot dead during a domestic dispute and he attempted to serve a warrant on the guy who shot Officer Gannon dead down the Cape 2 years ago. It's as ignorant as white people who assume all black people are criminals

gallsman

Six figure jobs for rank and file cops?! Away and shite.

J70

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2020, 08:15:48 PM

If I was Trump I would demand a huge surge in hiring of minority police officers.

The police is a great 6 figure job for working class white people. One of my Irish American clients (who's own father is retired BPD) refers to anyone he knows in the police as being "on the Irish dole".....getting paid big money for doing fvck all. (Most of the time )

But your "fvck the police" stance is highly offensive...my buddy lost his training partner who was shot dead during a domestic dispute and he attempted to serve a warrant on the guy who shot Officer Gannon dead down the Cape 2 years ago. It's as ignorant as white people who assume all black people are criminals

1. I didn't say it was my stance. I said that if I was a black man from one of those neighbourhoods, it probably WOULD be my stance i.e. I can understand it/I can empathize. I'm a white, highly educated, middle class person who grew up in rural Ireland. I have little to fear from the police. I'm not going to be harrassed by the cops every other time I leave the house. I'm not going to be targeted on account of my skin colour or being in the "wrong" neighbourhood or pulled over on some bullshit excuse. I'm not going to go down as just another black criminal statistic if things go wrong and no one happens to be around filming. I'm not going to worry about the same happening to my son.

2. I'm sorry for your friend's partner, but I'm not talking about anecdotes. No one denies that there are many, many excellent, decent cops and that many of them have lost their lives in the course of their work. But they are all part of a system that covered up the "bad apples" for years and years, whether it was simple brutality, illegitimate killings, corruption and even in extreme cases outright professional criminality. I can throw plenty of anecdotes into the mix too from a guy I work with who is ex-NYPD. The bad apples may be and may have been a minority, but like other institutions that come to mind having grown up in catholic Ireland, they were indulged by the system and victims dismissed or worse. Just because you know a good cop who died trying to do the right thing doesn't mean that the perception of black and brown people based on their experiences at the hands of the police and the wider justice system and the mistrust that has built up over decades and decades is illegitimate.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: gallsman on August 11, 2020, 08:18:46 PM

Wouldn't be far away - average salary for a Toronto police officer is approx. $105K CAD

whitey

Quote from: gallsman on August 11, 2020, 08:18:46 PM

Away and double shite (you haven't a clue)

The top earners are pulling down $200K +

Average cop in Boston is on $127K

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/17/metro/amid-defunding-debate-boston-police-payroll-surges-dozens-officers-earn-more-than-300k-year/%3foutputType=amp

"The average pay for police department employees last year was $127,094, including nearly $30,000 in overtime and $20,000 in detail pay, in addition to a base salary. The tally includes civilian workers and sworn personnel"

245 state troopers pulled down more than $200K in 2018

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/03/12/state-police-troopers-earned-more-than-last-year/1LM2sE7Z5OJLujXQv9ZXyK/story.html%3foutputType=amp