The US policing crisis thread

Started by Eamonnca1, April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: muppet on December 01, 2015, 03:27:18 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 01, 2015, 02:23:33 PM
Grim but fascinating story of what appears to be a very trigger happy PD in California. Well worth the 10 mins or so.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/01/the-county-kern-county-deadliest-police-killings

Disturbing.

Interesting to see that any race can be shot by police in that county. They aren't bothered.

Whats even more interesting is that the Sherrif is an ELECTED official.  Obviously some people think hes doing a good job-LOL

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Donny-Youngblood-Kern-County-California-illegals/2015/04/10/id/637714/

muppet

Quote from: whitey on December 01, 2015, 03:54:43 PM
Grim but fascinating story of what appears to be a very trigger happy PD in California. Well worth the 10 mins or so.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/01/the-county-kern-county-deadliest-police-killings

Disturbing.

Interesting to see that any race can be shot by police in that county. They aren't bothered.

Whats even more interesting is that the Sherrif is an ELECTED official.  Obviously some people think hes doing a good job-LOL

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Donny-Youngblood-Kern-County-California-illegals/2015/04/10/id/637714/

True.

But even Hitler & Stalin were elected (occasionally).
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: muppet on December 01, 2015, 03:57:51 PM
Quote from: whitey on December 01, 2015, 03:54:43 PM

Disturbing.

True.

But even Hitler & Stalin were elected (occasionally).

Maybe the Garda could hire him to confront the robbery gangs marauding throughout the countryside.

Open up full bore on any cvnt he didn't like the look of

I'd say he'd be petty popular 😀

omaghjoe

Interesting read that, got a few friends in Bakersfield....they say some "interesting" things. Lets not forget the Okies discrimination (grapes of wrath) and Cesar Chavez activism in Kern County and you might get an idea of the prevailing attitude towards "the newcomers" in the area.

Although what struck me most about this article was the county's with the highest police homicide rate. 4 out of the 10 or so in Socal are in top 15 :o :o :o, and some of the others are very sparsely populated. Seems like we are leaving Chicago, Missouri, Michigan etc in our wake!

To hear the national debate about police is funny when put in this context. I am guessing the majority of the victims are Mexican /Hispanic as well and this hasnt been mentioned once in the debate. Throw in tighter gun control laws than most states and its another eye opener.

On a side note surprised to see Santa Clara county in there, maybe Eammon could shed some light on this?

whitey

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 01, 2015, 07:25:57 PM

Interesting read that, got a few friends in Bakersfield....they say some "interesting" things. Lets not forget the Okies discrimination (grapes of wrath) and Cesar Chavez activism in Kern County and you might get an idea of the prevailing attitude towards "the newcomers" in the area.

Although what struck me most about this article was the county's with the highest police homicide rate. 4 out of the 10 or so in Socal are in top 15 :o :o :o, and some of the others are very sparsely populated. Seems like we are leaving Chicago, Missouri, Michigan etc in our wake!

To hear the national debate about police is funny when put in this context. I am guessing the majority of the victims are Mexican /Hispanic as well and this hasnt been mentioned once in the debate. Throw in tighter gun control laws than most states and its another eye opener.

On a side note surprised to see Santa Clara county in there, maybe Eammon could shed some light on this?

Close to the border you have tons of illegals.....did the article say 66,000 illegals out of a pop of 850,000.....and while I cant speak to S Cal, I know in Phoenix AZ, illegals create all kinds of problems.     Hence the rise of "celebrity tough on crime Sherrifs" like Sheriff Joe in Phoenix and this guy in CA

periere

Saying they cause "all sorts of problems" is overreaching. There are the normal gangbanging issues. The one unusual aspect is the kidnappings.In general, the impact to the social fabric of the Phoenix metro area is not big imo.

periere

Santa Clara is close to San Jose.  I remember years ago coming out of the bar at closing time in San Jose and it was like entering a warzone.I had never seen anything like it.  There were cops everywhere. Generally speaking the bay area is safe as houses but (at least back then..mid 90's) certain areas still had a wild west feel to them.

omaghjoe

Quote from: whitey on December 01, 2015, 07:47:10 PM

Close to the border you have tons of illegals.....did the article say 66,000 illegals out of a pop of 850,000.....and while I cant speak to S Cal, I know in Phoenix AZ, illegals create all kinds of problems.     Hence the rise of "celebrity tough on crime Sherrifs" like Sheriff Joe in Phoenix and this guy in CA

Like it or not there is a massive demand for the "illegals", the economy of Kern County (and indeed the rest of Socal) would take a massive dent if they were removed from it.

omaghjoe

Quote from: periere on December 01, 2015, 08:49:03 PM

Santa Clara is close to San Jose.  I remember years ago coming out of the bar at closing time in San Jose and it was like entering a warzone.I had never seen anything like it.  There were cops everywhere. Generally speaking the bay area is safe as houses but (at least back then..mid 90's) certain areas still had a wild west feel to them.

Yeah San Jose is in Santa Clara county. Its Silicone valley and Ive been around there a few times recently, massive amount of money there and comes across as boring and docile. Certainly didn't get the impression there is a crime problem that a stat like that would suggest.

whitey

Im sure 99% are law abiding but you only need a few to give everyone a bad name (Like Irish in Aus)

I was just out in Phoenix last week and my (very right wing) cousin just sold his house and moved up to Sedona full time. Speaking to him, it sounds like the whole city is gone to the dogs due to all the illegals. I would be interested to hear the opinion of someone a little bit more reasonable though

periere

I haven't lived there for a while but know the area fairly well. Since Phoenix is an acknowledged "white flight" area and snowbird central I would say that if your cousin thinks Phoenix has gone to the dogs then he must be very right wing indeed  :)   

periere

caveat: I didn't live in Phoenix itself and I understand the issues with gangbanging/kidnappings/cartels etc so If he lives in Phoenix proper then he is dead right to get out ! phoenix metro area is grand though.

periere

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 01, 2015, 09:12:10 PM
Quote from: periere on December 01, 2015, 08:49:03 PM

Yeah San Jose is in Santa Clara county. Its Silicone valley and Ive been around there a few times recently, massive amount of money there and comes across as boring and docile. Certainly didn't get the impression there is a crime problem that a stat like that would suggest.

Its fine and it was fine when I was there as well...but the US is like that. When the sun sets a whole new country emerges.   

Hardy