Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on August 20, 2018, 12:31:18 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 20, 2018, 12:27:27 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on August 20, 2018, 12:12:51 PM
mickey should have apologized to RTE for sticking his nose in and trying to influence who a public company hires and fires. RTE's responce was a disgrace. both harte and RTE were in the wrong but one has apologized and tried to sort the matter out. i think the harte family should feel free to refuse any contact or interviews with RTE but i think the players etc should be free to do so if they want.

They are, so we're all happy then?

Of course the players are free to talk to rte. But they know if they do they will soon be ex tyrone players because harte has a reputation of being extremely vindictive. So are they really free to talk to rte?

Yes, I'm sure Matty Donnelly would be dropped for the final if he did an interview with Marty Morrissey after the semi final. Maybe, just maybe the team have a bit of loyalty to each other and the management.
That was never a square ball!!

southtyronegael

sean cavanagh, brian mc guigan, philip jordan, ryan mc menamin havent shown much loyalty to harte then benny.

Under Lights

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 20, 2018, 12:34:50 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on August 20, 2018, 12:28:43 PM
It's been good for motivation for us though, like Fergie and the BBC that time, used it as a siege mentality kind of thing.
how has it been good for us? we havent exactly been rolling in the trophies since 2011. unless mc kenna cups are your thing.

All Ireland Semi Finals not bad going.

trueblue1234

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 20, 2018, 12:39:48 PM
funny alot of ex tyrone players seem to be queing up to talk with rte. wonder why they dont do it when they are playing.....?

Because they don't get paid when they are players. I'm surprised this needs explained.

I suppose when the on-field activities are going well, you have to look to the off-field issues in order to maintain your agenda. And even then your grasping.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Redhand Santa

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 20, 2018, 11:56:49 AM
typical of hartes cronies to conveniently forget the original reason for the RTE boycott. ive no time for RTE but at least they have offered an apology unlike mickey. will be a strange final in that tyrone will be the underdog and yet most neutrals will want to see them beat.

Will you do everyone a favour and clear away off with your nonsense. We are less than 2 weeks away from only our 6th All Ireland senior final in history (4 of which have come under Mickey Harte) and want to enjoy the build up on here without your anti Harte crap. You've had plenty of time in the past to talk about this boycott and get your anti harte digs in and have nothing new to say on the matter.

It's unfortunate that this hasn't been sorted at some stage from all parties point of view but I can assure you it won't take away from any right minded Tyrone fans celebrations if we do win the All Ireland. If we don't all the focus will be on Dublin anyway and I'm sure their media access will be limited in the run up to the final anyway.

I like the way you said about us only winning McKenna cup since 2011 and ignoring the fact that we won back to back ulster's since then, reached the all Ireland final this year and reached the all Ireland semi finals in 2 other years. That's some going for a bad spell and from a manager who doesn't have a clue.

Redhand Santa

I wonder will you reply as southtyronegael or big dog today? I assume you'll both be hoping Tyrone lose like you did all year?

The Golden Years

Personally I think Mickey should move on from the whole episode.  Players wont talk to RTE due to this but that doesnt mean they dont want to.  As someone said its only the 6th time in our History that we have made the final.  It doesnt come around that often and part and parcel of the occasion is the build up and players want to be part of that also if if they say publicly they dont.  A lot of players have big egos.  When they look back and want to show their children / grandchildren of what they where part of wouldnt it be good to have the RTE coverage to go along with.   

Jim Bob

Quote from: Thebigdog on August 20, 2018, 10:52:27 AM
Quote from: trileacman on August 20, 2018, 04:23:02 AM
Quote from: Thebigdog on August 19, 2018, 10:30:39 PM
A little bit of reality needed. Tyrone have beaten Monaghan again in Croke park just like 2013 and 2015 only this time in a Semi final. We all know what happened after. The personnel hasn't changed much especially in attack. That's where the problems mainly lay. It's gonna be a tough ask in two weeks.

I agree with you there. Hartes done a great job considering the players at his disposal.
Why do you think their are problems in attack? Mickey s poor tactics. The RTE boycott has been going on now since 2011 for no apparent reason other than Mickey didn't like getting ridiculed because his bestie didn't get a big job on the TV station. Looks like Harte comes first in Tyrone and f**k the players and their moment in the sun.

Well TBG hows it going? Your bestie didn't make the grade in Mickeys squad. No option than to drop him. He just wasn't good enough even though he got a few chances. Take it on the chin don't take it out on Mickey cos he did what he had to do.
Ps. Do you ever get fed up having to log out of this account and relog in as your other account AS Southtyronegael on this board. Don't know how you can be bothered.

GJL

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 20, 2018, 02:35:09 PM
Quote from: The Golden Years on August 20, 2018, 02:12:11 PM
Personally I think Mickey should move on from the whole episode.  Players wont talk to RTE due to this but that doesnt mean they dont want to.  As someone said its only the 6th time in our History that we have made the final.  It doesnt come around that often and part and parcel of the occasion is the build up and players want to be part of that also if if they say publicly they dont.  A lot of players have big egos.  When they look back and want to show their children / grandchildren of what they where part of wouldnt it be good to have the RTE coverage to go along with.

I can see how missing out on the man of the match award or something might be an issue. But what rte coverage would you expect the players to be part of during the build up? Can you remember anything from the last time we were in the all Ireland final? I'd say at this stage there is very little player involvement in the build up, more likely to see ex players being interviewed on tv.

I wonder if Tyrone were to win could Sky be invited into the Banquet to do some sort of program like RTE do?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: GJL on August 20, 2018, 02:38:12 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 20, 2018, 02:35:09 PM
Quote from: The Golden Years on August 20, 2018, 02:12:11 PM

I can see how missing out on the man of the match award or something might be an issue. But what rte coverage would you expect the players to be part of during the build up? Can you remember anything from the last time we were in the all Ireland final? I'd say at this stage there is very little player involvement in the build up, more likely to see ex players being interviewed on tv.

I wonder if Tyrone were to win could Sky be invited into the Banquet to do some sort of program like RTE do?

I'm sure Tyrone gaa or teamtalkmag could easily film the banquet and bring out decent coverage online if Tyrone did happen to win. Do interviews and have their own award for the man of the match. Could produce more coverage than would have gotten through rte anyway. Given the novelty of it I'm sure it would get plenty of interest and people looking to see what was going on.

APM

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 20, 2018, 11:56:21 AM
Quote from: APM on August 20, 2018, 11:36:54 AM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mickey-harte-brian-carthy-and-that-fourpage-letter-to-rte-26741449.html
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/tyrone-manager-harte-taking-carthy-fight-to-rte-28625242.html

This is where all this started and it has to have been the silliest grounds for protest that I've ever heard.  Who the hell did he think he was and what on earth compelled the other managers to get involved in something so daft (those of whom consented to having their name added to the list)? I didn't realise it, but he actually went onto the radio to talk about this.  Weird stuff! 

As an aside, Brian Carthy has to be one of the most annoying commentators on the radio.  Him of the double narration!
And Cork have a sideline ball, a sideline ball to Cork.

John Murray then took the piss about Harte's perceived interference in what was a personnel matter at RTE and Harte took offence at the insensitivity of it - see below. According to this, those in RTE that had caused offence apologised and the piece was removed from the RTE archive and social media. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/rt%C3%A9-accused-of-insulting-michaela-harte-s-memory-1.590684

You would think after this, everyone could say, that entire issue was embarassing from start to finish, lets forget it ever happened - lesson learned - move on. 

The irony of this is that Brian Carthy is working away with RTE (annoying us with his really whiny commentary) and Tyrone haven't engaged with them in 7 years. 

Mad stuff. 

It started with the letter about Carthy which I agree was weird and stupid. But that's not the reasons behind the current blackout. MH hand Tyrone have been clear about that.

Due to the portrayal of the said letter, at least one other broadcaster within the organisation acted in a most insensitive manner in the choice of their programme dialogue in a morning radio show soon after. Inappropriate references to the fact that the Tyrone manager Mickey Harte was associated with the Dali Lama conference in Limerick and the choice of the song "Pretty Little Girl from Omagh" will give you an indication of the complete lack of sensitivity the presenter in question afforded the Harte family and Michaela's husband John McAreavey, in what remains for them a very difficult time.

So I fully support MH's decision to deal with RTE as he see's fit.

In fairness, it was reported that the people involved apologised and RTE took action by removing the offending content from their website. 

You say its his decision to deal with RTE as he sees fit.  Should the County Board not have a say, and also the players?

trueblue1234

Quote from: APM on August 20, 2018, 05:06:04 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mickey-harte-brian-carthy-and-that-fourpage-letter-to-rte-26741449.html
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/tyrone-manager-harte-taking-carthy-fight-to-rte-28625242.html

This is where all this started and it has to have been the silliest grounds for protest that I've ever heard.  Who the hell did he think he was and what on earth compelled the other managers to get involved in something so daft (those of whom consented to having their name added to the list)? I didn't realise it, but he actually went onto the radio to talk about this.  Weird stuff! 

As an aside, Brian Carthy has to be one of the most annoying commentators on the radio.  Him of the double narration!

John Murray then took the piss about Harte's perceived interference in what was a personnel matter at RTE and Harte took offence at the insensitivity of it - see below. According to this, those in RTE that had caused offence apologised and the piece was removed from the RTE archive and social media. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/rt%C3%A9-accused-of-insulting-michaela-harte-s-memory-1.590684

You would think after this, everyone could say, that entire issue was embarassing from start to finish, lets forget it ever happened - lesson learned - move on. 

The irony of this is that Brian Carthy is working away with RTE (annoying us with his really whiny commentary) and Tyrone haven't engaged with them in 7 years. 

Mad stuff. 

It started with the letter about Carthy which I agree was weird and stupid. But that's not the reasons behind the current blackout. MH hand Tyrone have been clear about that.

Due to the portrayal of the said letter, at least one other broadcaster within the organisation acted in a most insensitive manner in the choice of their programme dialogue in a morning radio show soon after. Inappropriate references to the fact that the Tyrone manager Mickey Harte was associated with the Dali Lama conference in Limerick and the choice of the song "Pretty Little Girl from Omagh" will give you an indication of the complete lack of sensitivity the presenter in question afforded the Harte family and Michaela's husband John McAreavey, in what remains for them a very difficult time.

In fairness, it was reported that the people involved apologised and RTE took action by removing the offending content from their website. 

You say its his decision to deal with RTE as he sees fit.  Should the County Board not have a say, and also the players?

They didn't take any action against their employee. So that says plenty about the conviction behind their apology.

The county board and players have a say. I don't know why you think otherwise?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

bigtogs

I would rather as a County we could have brokered a deal years ago that the County Board would have accommodated RTE by sending some representation to speak on match days and receive Man of the Match awards..... i just think it does not look right....Our County is bigger than one person...... only my opinion....

skeog

Will up for the game only have dublin people.Would parents of players be included in MHs directive.

APM

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 20, 2018, 05:12:36 PM
Quote from: APM on August 20, 2018, 05:06:04 PM

Mad stuff. 

They didn't take any action against their employee. So that says plenty about the conviction behind their apology.

The county board and players have a say. I don't know why you think otherwise?

Firstly, I don't like John Murray.  Bit of a prat on that show and the skit in particular wasn't funny - just a bit crap, which was typical of a lot of his stuff - smart-alecy.   

Now I don't suppose all of the Mickey fans will agree; but I have listened to it on YouTube and I can certainly see how it was certainly clumsy and insensitive in the regard that Murray probably didn't give a second to think about this in the context of his bereavement.   But was it so offensive that it merits a seven year stand-off between RTE and Tyrone GAA - I think not - particularly in the context of the apology and removal of the material. 

But then offence is in the eye of the beholder and it's at this point you need an objective voice like the County Board to step in and sort it out.  It's hard to believe they didn't and its also possible to believe that they did try to sort it out and weren't strong enough. 

Many of the same people that are defending Harte on this, are doing it out of sheer blind loyalty to Tyrone.  If this was to have happened instead to Pete McGrath, Joe Kernan or Jimmy McGuinness I'd love to know their views.   Of course, you'll all say now that you would be completely consistent. 

PS - What action did you want from RTE?  Did you think Murray should be fired? Do you want to dictate RTE HR policy also? :)