Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: bannside on June 11, 2021, 09:58:57 PM
Not much chat about our big game on Sunday. 70 mins from bring a Division three team. I'm heading down confident but wary of what happened in 08 when Waterford burst our bubble in Casement in a winner takes all encounter..... especially when you look at the calibre of that 08 team, the majority of them featuring prominently for Baker the following year.

Lady luck has shone on us to date this season, if we guard very strongly against any remote prospect of complacency, we could be celebrating over our lunch on Sunday

Good luck to all. Saffron Abu.

Please god we do it
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

Good win. To be honest we were a good bit better and could have won by more. A good performance and campaign. I think we have improved a good bit this year.

BrendanAntrim

A brilliant achievement! Well done to all involved, feels like this promotion has been a long time coming. Brilliant weekend all round for Antrim

EOC1923

Seems to be a serious togetherness in the Antrim Football squad, something thats been missing this last 7 r 8 years. Well done to all and fair play to McGinley, the doubters will be believers now

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 13, 2021, 01:59:35 PM
Good win. To be honest we were a good bit better and could have won by more. A good performance and campaign. I think we have improved a good bit this year.

Great win and totally agree. We shouldve won by 15. A wee bit more composure and we could've done a Kerry and scored 6 goals. But absolutely delighted we finally got out of the basement and great pride in our team.

We are gonna open up against someone...we have it in us. Armagh Div 1 but we have the ability.....

Gold

I see Derry and Offaly have agreed to play a Div 3 final

Can we do the same ?!

Thanks to Enda, Stevie and Sean btw....class year and achievement . GRMA lads

bannside

Great achievement to win four on the trot. Next year will be a step up, but one we can deal with. Congrats to all, great weekend for a Saffron.

asaffgael

Good to get the result and get back up to division 3. No away trip in the league is easy.

A lot of improvement needed going forward, some sloppy giving the ball away that against better opposition will be punished.

bannside

Can't put my finger on it to be honest, happy to be getting results but yesterday performance wise was a long way off. If we are going to be honest, Waterford were very poor and we were just a bit better!

It's ok to win ugly and four in a row is an excellent stat... but the exciting thing for me is we are still very open to improvement!

Big Ricky was standout yesterday, and the two midfielders Big Niall and Conor are winning first phase ball we have struggled to win for a few years. Those are positives for me that we can definitely build on.

Realistically what is our expectation against Armagh in two weeks?

Dunsilly King

Big Ricky the stand out yesterday. Jez, I can't believe you think that. I wasn't expecting him out the second half. He had nothing to do the first half but almost balls up everything he tried. To his credit he was really good second half. The stand out was easily Jordan. Agree about Niall & Conor. But we have to many poor decesion makers to trouble Armagh.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on June 14, 2021, 10:35:19 PM
Can't put my finger on it to be honest, happy to be getting results but yesterday performance wise was a long way off. If we are going to be honest, Waterford were very poor and we were just a bit better!

It's ok to win ugly and four in a row is an excellent stat... but the exciting thing for me is we are still very open to improvement!

Big Ricky was standout yesterday, and the two midfielders Big Niall and Conor are winning first phase ball we have struggled to win for a few years. Those are positives for me that we can definitely build on.

Realistically what is our expectation against Armagh in two weeks?

Armagh are Div 1... we are promoted from Div 4... the odds will reflect that and any pundit will give us zero chance, but depending on how we set up and approach the game will decide how we do.

I've watched Armagh and they are a lot better this year so it's an uphill struggle but we put a good showing last year in championship.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

When Waterford brought it back to four points with 15 mins left Ricky made two fantastic interceptions which could have led to goal chances for Waterford. One of them started the move that led to Eastwood's goal. Possibly a six point swing in our favour. Jordan yes he put in another good shift, but overall no more than half a dozen players can think of putting their hand up and saying they were good on the day.

The heat could have been a factor, the burden of expectancy too possibly....but on other days a performance like that would not be nearly good enough.

Depending on how you look at it this could be okay, because some of these days we could really click for longer periods and that will be in our favour.

In the meantime we can all enjoy the moment and plan for a competitive performance against Armagh.

asaffgael

Would you go defensive against Armagh as they have a lot of good forwards?

asaffgael

I thought Conor while good was very laboured on the ball, against a division 1 team with intensity he will need to be sharper on it and move it quicker. Also we won't be able to carry it into the tackle.

imtommygunn

That was a tough game to judge. I think we were constantly expecting something from Waterford which never came. We should have beat them out the gate but never drove on. I honestly thought the same against Louth. Armagh a big challenge and anything we get a bonus.