RG at arms length

Started by seafoid, May 15, 2023, 11:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Might be idle gossip, but someone told me yesterday that RG had his ban from the GAA lifted.
Can anyone confirm?

Wildweasel74

Sure it been temp suspended last few weeks did it not. It all come to nothing, there's nothing previously brought up that hadn't been through the court arena twice already.

ck

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 29, 2023, 11:24:06 AMMight be idle gossip, but someone told me yesterday that RG had his ban from the GAA lifted.
Can anyone confirm?

I heard the opposite. The GAA looking for the evidence from court case to make sure he gets a life time ban.

seafoid

Quote from: ck on September 29, 2023, 10:48:55 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on September 29, 2023, 11:24:06 AMMight be idle gossip, but someone told me yesterday that RG had his ban from the GAA lifted.
Can anyone confirm?

I heard the opposite. The GAA looking for the evidence from court case to make sure he gets a life time ban.
The GAA don't want to be associated with him any more than the IRFU want to be associated with Sue me Paddy Jackson. The Sunday Independent interview was the gamechanger.

tbrick18

Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2023, 12:25:49 PM
Can anyone confirm?

The GAA don't want to be associated with him any more than the IRFU want to be associated with Sue me Paddy Jackson. The Sunday Independent interview was the gamechanger.

Any links to the interview? Didn't know about it...

seafoid

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 02, 2023, 09:38:32 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2023, 12:25:49 PM
Can anyone confirm?

Any links to the interview? Didn't know about it...
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/if-my-story-helps-one-woman-or-man-then-it-will-have-been-worth-it-nicola-gallagher-on-domestic-abuse-claims/a1936363625.html

nrico2006

How can you get a lifetime ban from the GAA, i.e. what are the actual offences in the rulebook that warrant such a ban?

There are players playing currently who have actually done worse than what Gallagher has allegedly done, should they get life bans too?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 10, 2023, 10:40:19 PMHow can you get a lifetime ban from the GAA, i.e. what are the actual offences in the rulebook that warrant such a ban?

There are players playing currently who have actually done worse than what Gallagher has allegedly done, should they get life bans too?

There are convicted murders that have played GAA and not thing said  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

statto

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2023, 09:25:51 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 10, 2023, 10:40:19 PMHow can you get a lifetime ban from the GAA, i.e. what are the actual offences in the rulebook that warrant such a ban?

There are convicted murders that have played GAA and not thing said  ;)
Sean Hackett playing for Maghery this year.

mrdeeds

Corduff trained in Louth.

tbrick18

This is the thing that annoys me about all of this.
Gallagher has been found guilty by social media and has subsequently been "cancelled" (look how down with the kids I am).
Seemingly allegations against him have been reviewed by the PPS and there are no criminal charges AND he has custody of the kids.
So, legally, he has done nothing wrong.
We all know that doesn't mean he's innocent, but it also doesn't mean he's guilty. As in most things, I suspect the true story lies somewhere in the middle.
Really he has been cancelled from the GAA on moral grounds.

So if we take that a step further, where do the moral grounds stop? Murderers? Ex-Paramilitaries? Drug dealers/users? Dangerous driving? Alcoholics? Rapists?
As an organisation do we pick in choose what moral high ground we take based on how loud the social medial noise is?
I just don't agree with that. Either we have regs to state who can and cannot been involved or we don't, and if we don't then anyone can be involved.

When coaching kids we have to do an AccessNI check. I assume there are similar checks in the south.
Why not a blanket rule that any players/coaches/management/officials all must have clean records and are subject to AccessNI/background checks. That covers everything consistently and rules out the social media nonsense.

Wildweasel74

Right I played a few years where our midfielder had done  no.of years for IRA post office robberies plus a ton of semtex in the roof space in a small housing estate. Playing on the other team was his OC in the Maze that had been in for top level serious activity. Playing away in Derry, Not a issue, I knew dodgy drug dealers playing too, again not a word said. So how had Gallagher done any worse than them lads who never got suspended for what they done.

armaghniac

If there are drug dealers then they should not be welcome either.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

WT4E

For me I think when it involves the fairer sex these days all bets are off whats goin happen

bennydorano

I don't see how the GAA bans him for life without leaving themselves open to being embarrassed in a court of law themselves, with the inevitable challenge.