if you could rename your club

Started by seafoid, November 08, 2021, 02:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

A lot of GAA clubs are named after saints eg St Marys, St Patricks or revolutionary figures eg Wolfe Tones, Pearses.
If you could rename your club, what would the name be ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

APM

Some great names out there, like Fighting Cocks, Lord Edwards, Raperees:

What about:
The Wangers (after the great Crossmaglen)
The Hallions, as in Poyntzpass Hallions

armaghniac

Crossmaglen Rulyas
Culloville Chancers
Cullyhanna Cavemen
Silverbridge Savages 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Aristo 60

Gaa clubs with'united' in their names don't feel right to me.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Aristo 60 on November 08, 2021, 09:32:22 PM

Not many of them is there? Ramor United is the only one I know of.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Smellyball

I'm watching From dusk till dawn at the moment, I think Santanico Pandemonium would be a cool club name.

Main Street

My club Ballybay, Monaghan  are named the Ballybay Pearse Brothers.
No rename required.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on November 08, 2021, 07:04:31 PM
Crossmaglen Royalty
Culloville Chancers
Cullyhanna Cavemen
Silverbridge Softies

Corrected that for you.....

general_lee

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 09, 2021, 09:56:13 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 08, 2021, 07:04:31 PM
Crossmaglen Royalty
Culloville Chancers
Cullyhanna Cavemen
Silverbridge Softies

Corrected that for you.....
Feens
More feens
Rulya feens
I can't believe they're not feens

Dreadnought

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 08, 2021, 10:09:49 PM

There's a Laragh United in Cavan too. In Ramors case, it was a situation where there were 3 different clubs in the Parish. They amalgamated in the early 70s. The parish is called Lurgan, but as one of the teams were already called Lurgan, they decided against that and named the club Ramor after the large lake that is in the parish, and then United for literally uniting the parish again. Might not feel right, but is what it is and really they are a United in what they did.

Cavan also have two Celtics, Lacken Celtic and Cootehill Celtic, which I think is unique in GAA too. Cootehill actually wear Green and White hoops, taking their name and colours from Glasgow Celtic after locals returned home from Glasgow and formed the GAA club with this nod to Celtic.

Dreadnought

My own profile name comes from my home club, Mullahoran Dreadnoughts. Not a chance I'd want that name to change, think it's one of the best and most iconic of GAA names out there.

Do think there needs to be that discussion on clubs named after contentious figures. Lot of people who would be in the middle ground in the North for example, are very much put off by some club names linked to figures in the Troubles, and will likely never associate themselves with GAA. No harm in some looking to change and become more inclusive now we're moving on past a lot of these issues on the island. Clubs named after John Mitchel also need to look at themselves, after it was shown what type of man he was.

Itchy

We also have Laragh United in Cavan. Couple of other ones in Cavan I havent heard of elsewhere are Killeshandra "Leaguers" (Land League) and Kingscourt "Stars".

Don Cockburn

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 10:28:40 AM
My own profile name comes from my home club, Mullahoran Dreadnoughts. Not a chance I'd want that name to change, think it's one of the best and most iconic of GAA names out there.
A club in landlocked Cavan calls itself after a battleship!

BennyCake

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 10:28:40 AM

Do think there needs to be that discussion on clubs named after contentious figures. Lot of people who would be in the middle ground in the North for example, are very much put off by some club names linked to figures in the Troubles, and will likely never associate themselves with GAA. No harm in some looking to change and become more inclusive now we're moving on past a lot of these issues on the island. Clubs named after John Mitchel also need to look at themselves, after it was shown what type of man he was.

Is that because he was a slave owner ?

Maybe they should get rid of all the clubs named after St Patrick, after it was proven that snakes never made it as far as Ireland, so he couldn't possibly have driven them from the country. Plus he was Welsh apparently, and  was likely a rugby man.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on November 16, 2021, 10:30:50 AM

We also have Laragh United in Cavan. Couple of other ones in Cavan I havent heard of elsewhere are Killeshandra "Leaguers" (Land League) and Kingscourt "Stars".

And we've Drung Dalcassians too. Some very unique names in Cavan alright.

Lots of old defunct ones too that were absolutely brilliant and unique: Loughduff Millesians, Doogarry Raparees, Killeshandra Fontenoys (they did join though to become the Leaguers). Finea Knights of Freedom are now Ballymachugh too