Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: whitey on November 19, 2021, 12:03:30 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 19, 2021, 08:39:19 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 18, 2021, 09:45:00 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2021, 05:15:17 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 18, 2021, 04:11:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2021, 10:19:34 AM
I think we are progressing well, the great thing about the GAA is, it hasn't stood still, things take time to change, and those that used the term ' the GAA is the IRA at play'  have lessened over the years, coverage and exposure of our games, not just here but on the likes of SKY have made the game so much more accessible to new people.

You'll never win over cnuts, and to be honest there is no point in trying, just continue as we have and its will modernize and evolve naturally, there are some own goals at times and that's going to happen.

Headquarters should always look at including as many people as possible, the more people on this island playing our unique sports the better, I'm not for the association being political and we should always steer away from that, our grounds should be sporting grounds and not used by political parties or agendas.

Not fussed on political GAA tops either tbh, there are some about with the GAA logo on them, if we can keep it more cultural less political then we reduce the own goals, and give less ammunition to those cnuts who wish to bring the sport down

In recent years too , I've come to the opinion that the tri colour shouldn't be flown at grounds either. The GAA flag should be flown instead.
Careful Benny.
I suggested that a year or so ago and got savaged by Snapchap and some other extremist.
I totally understand where the 3 of you are coming from with the tricolour and politics thing and see what you mean, but I totally disagree. For me republicanism, patriotism, nationalism and the GAA are all intertwined and part of my culture and who I am. I don't see the tricolour or the national anthem or grounds/trophies/clubs named after republicans as something to be ashamed of, apologise for or change. If people from the other side of the house want to get involved in GAA that's brilliant and they should be more than welcome, if not then it's no skin off anyone's nose but we shouldnt have to compromise to accommodate anyone.

Maybe it's the area I grew up in I don't know.

Yeah I get most of that. But then are you happy for just the GAA to be pretty much exclusionary for many in places in the North then? I'm fine with pretty much most of the iconography, but do think we need to look at clubs named after Slavers, and convicted Republicans. Like there's really no need for it at this stage. Some clubs changed their names during the Troubles, so could change it back. Do think it would make a difference to those middle ground.

And you shouldn't have to compromise to accommodate anyone. But people need to come to the realisation themselves if they don't want to be so insular and exclusionary, or at least the GAA need to see the problem and set standards for it. The GAA has been progressive in teh past, just something else it should look

So who will be doing the looking, and who will make the final decision in whether a name is offensive?

The clubs themselves and their members?

The GAA executive?

The local community?

I've said it before to you earlier in teh thread, they need to come to the decision themselves. They need education and informed discussion, and if needed led by the GAA if they issue standards. But they need to have those discussions. You know the ones I'm talking about too...

whitey

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 19, 2021, 12:20:26 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 19, 2021, 12:03:30 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 19, 2021, 08:39:19 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 18, 2021, 09:45:00 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2021, 05:15:17 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 18, 2021, 04:11:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2021, 10:19:34 AM
I think we are progressing well, the great thing about the GAA is, it hasn't stood still, things take time to change, and those that used the term ' the GAA is the IRA at play'  have lessened over the years, coverage and exposure of our games, not just here but on the likes of SKY have made the game so much more accessible to new people.

You'll never win over cnuts, and to be honest there is no point in trying, just continue as we have and its will modernize and evolve naturally, there are some own goals at times and that's going to happen.

Headquarters should always look at including as many people as possible, the more people on this island playing our unique sports the better, I'm not for the association being political and we should always steer away from that, our grounds should be sporting grounds and not used by political parties or agendas.

Not fussed on political GAA tops either tbh, there are some about with the GAA logo on them, if we can keep it more cultural less political then we reduce the own goals, and give less ammunition to those cnuts who wish to bring the sport down

In recent years too , I've come to the opinion that the tri colour shouldn't be flown at grounds either. The GAA flag should be flown instead.
Careful Benny.
I suggested that a year or so ago and got savaged by Snapchap and some other extremist.
I totally understand where the 3 of you are coming from with the tricolour and politics thing and see what you mean, but I totally disagree. For me republicanism, patriotism, nationalism and the GAA are all intertwined and part of my culture and who I am. I don't see the tricolour or the national anthem or grounds/trophies/clubs named after republicans as something to be ashamed of, apologise for or change. If people from the other side of the house want to get involved in GAA that's brilliant and they should be more than welcome, if not then it's no skin off anyone's nose but we shouldnt have to compromise to accommodate anyone.

Maybe it's the area I grew up in I don't know.

Yeah I get most of that. But then are you happy for just the GAA to be pretty much exclusionary for many in places in the North then? I'm fine with pretty much most of the iconography, but do think we need to look at clubs named after Slavers, and convicted Republicans. Like there's really no need for it at this stage. Some clubs changed their names during the Troubles, so could change it back. Do think it would make a difference to those middle ground.

And you shouldn't have to compromise to accommodate anyone. But people need to come to the realisation themselves if they don't want to be so insular and exclusionary, or at least the GAA need to see the problem and set standards for it. The GAA has been progressive in teh past, just something else it should look

So who will be doing the looking, and who will make the final decision in whether a name is offensive?

The clubs themselves and their members?

The GAA executive?

The local community?

I've said it before to you earlier in teh thread, they need to come to the decision themselves. They need education and informed discussion, and if needed led by the GAA if they issue standards. But they need to have those discussions. You know the ones I'm talking about too...

And who will provide these peasants with the needed education to help the reach an informed decision?

(FWIW one of the clubs in question had a PHD candidate come in and give a talk on the life of the person their club is named for. Apart from club members no one else showed up iirc)

Dreadnought

Quote from: whitey on November 19, 2021, 01:03:45 PM

And who will provide these peasants with the needed education to help the reach an informed decision?

(FWIW one of the clubs in question had a PHD candidate come in and give a talk on the life of the person their club is named for. Apart from club members no one else showed up iirc)

The GAA needs to provide help in their standards and such. If anyone wants to discuss it, they should help guide and such. Same way as there are guidelines in how to run an AGM, election of officers etc. They could do this is they so wanted. And your last sentence makes my point. It won't work if they have head in the sand, they need to engage. I'm not sure how to do this, but I'm sure there's smarter people than you or I who would know how to set up a system to go through and look at this that will bring in engagement

whitey

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 19, 2021, 01:10:54 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 19, 2021, 01:03:45 PM

The GAA needs to provide help in their standards and such. If anyone wants to discuss it, they should help guide and such. Same way as there are guidelines in how to run an AGM, election of officers etc. They could do this is they so wanted. And your last sentence makes my point. It won't work if they have head in the sand, they need to engage. I'm not sure how to do this, but I'm sure there's smarter people than you or I who would know how to set up a system to go through and look at this that will bring in engagement

They widely advertised the talk throughout the community and no one from outside the club showed up. How does that prove your point

GAABoardMod5

Dreadnought and GiveItToTheShooters getting close to feuding territory.

Knock it off, or bans for both.  Do not engage each other at all.