if you could rename your club

Started by seafoid, November 08, 2021, 02:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 11:33:00 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 16, 2021, 10:30:50 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 08, 2021, 10:09:49 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on November 08, 2021, 09:32:22 PM
Gaa clubs with'united' in their names don't feel right to me.

Not many of them is there? Ramor United is the only one I know of.

We also have Laragh United in Cavan. Couple of other ones in Cavan I havent heard of elsewhere are Killeshandra "Leaguers" (Land League) and Kingscourt "Stars".

And we've Drumlane Dalcassians too. Some very unique names in Cavan alright.

Lots of old defunct ones too that were absolutely brilliant and unique: Loughduff Millesians, Doogarry Raparees, Killeshandra Fonenoys (they did join though to become the Leaguers). Finea Knights of Freedom are now Ballymachugh too

Never heard of all them. I know there was a team in Killeshandra called Croghan alright at one stage and they were consumed into the leaguers. Was that Finea club in Cavan or Westmeath?

whitey

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 12:26:31 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 16, 2021, 12:12:22 PM
I think we should just rename every club in the country to whatever the GPS coordinates are for their home ground

That way no one is offended

Ah yes, the old lets change everyone due to a problem few. There's no need for that, no need to be facetious. Vast bulk of clubs names are absolutely fine, but there clearly are a problem few, and we know which ones they are. We see clubs in other sports change (Washington Football don't use Redskins anymore), and others getting serious pressure to change (Exeter Chiefs) so it shouldn't be an issue to look into themselves. Some names aren't even linked to the club or area, it really shouldn't be hard to effect a name change to something local and non contentious. The GAA has evolved on many issues over the years. This should be another as there's really no need for it

Agreed

Leave it up to the club members to decide if the name stays or goes

If they're fine with it let everyone else go f _ c _ themselves as far as I'm concerned

Dreadnought

Quote from: whitey on November 16, 2021, 01:09:49 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 01:05:24 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 16, 2021, 01:02:54 PM
A lot of people are outraged at the Catholic Church for child abuse and the treatment of unmarried mothers in homes and Magdalene Laundries

An argument could be made that any club or ground named after a saint or a  cleric should be renamed

I hope you don't pull your hamstring with that stretch

What the hell are you talking about?

If I got 10 people to sign a petition to rename a club because they're traumatized every time they drive by the ground, why shouldn't they be heard?

But come on. We're talking about a known Slaver. We're not on about Saints from 1500 years ago because of the actions of some horrendous people recently. That's a humongous stretch. Lets deal with people themselves, not stretching that far back by association. You will eventually find 10 people to sign anything, but that's hardly the point. It's looking objectively at some names on individuals, on what they did themselves. And how they are being honoured with having clubs named after them despite what they themselves did. Your point was making a huge stretch...

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on November 16, 2021, 01:24:30 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 11:33:00 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 16, 2021, 10:30:50 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 08, 2021, 10:09:49 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on November 08, 2021, 09:32:22 PM
Gaa clubs with'united' in their names don't feel right to me.

Not many of them is there? Ramor United is the only one I know of.

We also have Laragh United in Cavan. Couple of other ones in Cavan I havent heard of elsewhere are Killeshandra "Leaguers" (Land League) and Kingscourt "Stars".

And we've Drumlane Dalcassians too. Some very unique names in Cavan alright.

Lots of old defunct ones too that were absolutely brilliant and unique: Loughduff Millesians, Doogarry Raparees, Killeshandra Fonenoys (they did join though to become the Leaguers). Finea Knights of Freedom are now Ballymachugh too

Never heard of all them. I know there was a team in Killeshandra called Croghan alright at one stage and they were consumed into the leaguers. Was that Finea club in Cavan or Westmeath?

That club was in Cavan. Finea is a bit off an odd one as it did play in Cavan at one time (weren't the borders redrawn in the not too distant past?). That Finea Knights of Freedom club is the direct descendant of Ballymachugh now, so would always have been Cavan.

Dreadnought

Quote from: whitey on November 16, 2021, 01:26:46 PM
I think we should just rename every club in the country to whatever the GPS coordinates are for their home ground

Ah yes, the old lets change everyone due to a problem few. There's no need for that, no need to be facetious. Vast bulk of clubs names are absolutely fine, but there clearly are a problem few, and we know which ones they are. We see clubs in other sports change (Washington Football don't use Redskins anymore), and others getting serious pressure to change (Exeter Chiefs) so it shouldn't be an issue to look into themselves. Some names aren't even linked to the club or area, it really shouldn't be hard to effect a name change to something local and non contentious. The GAA has evolved on many issues over the years. This should be another as there's really no need for it

Agreed

If they're fine with it let everyone else go f _ c _ themselves as far as I'm concerned

They really do need to have an honest educated informed discussion on it though. Not just a usual GAA thing where they pretend to, have a vote, say we're ok with things and move on as before. Need education on it, not head in the sand and pretend we can ignore things. These are a problem to a lot outside of usual GAA circles who might otherwise come into the GAA family. Need to include, not exclude.

GAA really should lead with information/detail and standards on this and should have a structure in place for club names and if a club does decide to change

whitey

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 02:04:05 PM

Agreed

They really do need to have an honest educated informed discussion on it though. Not just a usual GAA thing where they pretend to, have a vote, say we're ok with things and move on as before. Need education on it, not head in the sand and pretend we can ignore things. These are a problem to a lot outside of usual GAA circles who might otherwise come into the GAA family. Need to include, not exclude.

GAA really should lead with information/detail and standards on this and should have a structure in place for club names and if a club does decide to change

So, if after an honest,  educated and informed discussion takes place, the members decide that they're going to stick with the name of their club, are you willing to accept their decision ?

BennyCake

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 01:54:21 PM
A lot of people are outraged at the Catholic Church for child abuse and the treatment of unmarried mothers in homes and Magdalene Laundries

An argument could be made that any club or ground named after a saint or a  cleric should be renamed

If I got 10 people to sign a petition to rename a club because they're traumatized every time they drive by the ground, why shouldn't they be heard?

But come on. We're talking about a known Slaver. We're not on about Saints from 1500 years ago because of the actions of some horrendous people recently. That's a humongous stretch. Lets deal with people themselves, not stretching that far back by association. You will eventually find 10 people to sign anything, but that's hardly the point. It's looking objectively at some names on individuals, on what they did themselves. And how they are being honoured with having clubs named after them despite what they themselves did. Your point was making a huge stretch...

What about the saints themselves? I'd be certain they were no er, saints themselves . Does someone who  lived 1500 years  get away with more because it was further back in time?

I mean, there's a question to whether some even existed at all, but take the Patrick story. Did he really walk the land meeting hairy-arsed pagans, who willingly gave up all their pagan beliefs and rituals to go along with this fella they just met? Aye right.

Anyway, I digress

general_lee

Need to get rid of the O'Duffy stand at Clones.
Any club named after Mitchel should be probably reconsider.

Armagh18

Wait til you's hear who Sam Maguire was..

Dreadnought

Quote from: whitey on November 16, 2021, 02:58:18 PM

Agreed

So, if after an honest,  educated and informed discussion takes place, the members decide that they're going to stick with the name of their club, are you willing to accept their decision ?

Let's be honest here. If they have an honest, educated, and informed discussion, and still keep the name of a Slaver not linked to their area (bar the Newry based club) then they've either got their head in the sand or they just didn't or don't want to listen. It is up to them, and they shouldn't be forced, but they should be changing that name. They need to get there themselves, but they absolutely should get there. Links to slavery just isn't acceptable

whitey

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 04:02:17 PM

Agreed

Let's be honest here. If they have an honest, educated, and informed discussion, and still keep the name of a Slaver not linked to their area (bar the Newry based club) then they've either got their head in the sand or they just didn't or don't want to listen. It is up to them, and they shouldn't be forced, but they should be changing that name. They need to get there themselves, but they absolutely should get there. Links to slavery just isn't acceptable

Fair enough

What about Tipperary buck singing the Galtee Mountain Boy in the steps of the Hogan Stand when they win the AIF?

Dan Breen was a rabid Nazi supporter and should not be honored with people singing songs about him or naming cups after him (Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship)

https://markhumphrys.com/dan.breen.html

Itchy

Quote from: BennyCake on November 16, 2021, 03:03:47 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 01:54:21 PM

What about the saints themselves? I'd be certain they were no er, saints themselves . Does someone who  lived 1500 years  get away with more because it was further back in time?

I mean, there's a question to whether some even existed at all, but take the Patrick story. Did he really walk the land meeting hairy-arsed pagans, who willingly gave up all their pagan beliefs and rituals to go along with this fella they just met? Aye right.

Anyway, I digress

I believe Santa Claus (St Nicholas) was a right Cnut. Time to cancel Christmas.

Itchy

Quote from: whitey on November 16, 2021, 04:11:26 PM

Agreed

Fair enough

What about Tipperary buck singing the Galtee Mountain Boy in the steps of the Hogan Stand when they win the AIF?

Dan Breen was a rabid Nazi supporter and should not be honored with people singing songs about him or naming cups after him (Tipperary Senior Hurling Championship)

Read through that. Didnt see the word Rabid anywhere and a lot of circumstantial shite too. Sources the brits a lot who I know you probably have a lot of trust in but I would beg to differ. He was good at shooting black and tans though so he deserves his own song.
Longford slashers, thats a great name. There used to be a Cavan Slashers too but they became Cavan Gaels.

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on November 16, 2021, 04:42:55 PM

Agreed

Fair enough

Read through that. Didnt see the word Rabid anywhere and a lot of circumstantial shite too. Sources the brits a lot who I know you probably have a lot of trust in but I would beg to differ. He was good at shooting black and tans though so he deserves his own song.
Longford slashers, thats a great name. There used to be a Cavan Slashers too but they became Cavan Gaels.

So if it was proven that he was in fact a Nazi sympathizer, would you be in favor of my proposal of removing his name from the cup, and the banning of the song?

Itchy

Quote from: whitey on November 16, 2021, 04:45:57 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 16, 2021, 04:42:55 PM

Agreed

Fair enough

So if it was proven that he was in fact a Nazi sympathizer, would you be in favor of my proposal of removing his name from the cup, and the banning of the song?

Well first thing I would do is dig him up and send to the Haque for trial.