if you could rename your club

Started by seafoid, November 08, 2021, 02:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: Don Cockburn on November 16, 2021, 11:15:16 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 10:28:40 AM
My own profile name comes from my home club, Mullahoran Dreadnoughts. Not a chance I'd want that name to change, think it's one of the best and most iconic of GAA names out there.
A club in landlocked Cavan calls itself after a battleship!

Yeah bit odd I suppose, but hardly need to be a coastal county. Just naming after a ship and how good it was in battle

Dreadnought

Quote from: BennyCake on November 16, 2021, 11:21:21 AM
My own profile name comes from my home club, Mullahoran Dreadnoughts. Not a chance I'd want that name to change, think it's one of the best and most iconic of GAA names out there.

Do think there needs to be that discussion on clubs named after contentious figures. Lot of people who would be in the middle ground in the North for example, are very much put off by some club names linked to figures in the Troubles, and will likely never associate themselves with GAA. No harm in some looking to change and become more inclusive now we're moving on past a lot of these issues on the island. Clubs named after John Mitchel also need to look at themselves, after it was shown what type of man he was.

Is that because he was a slave owner ?

Maybe they should get rid of all the clubs named after St Patrick, after it was proven that snakes never made it as far as Ireland, so he couldn't possibly have driven them from the country. Plus he was Welsh apparently, and  was likely a rugby man.

Are you really making that analogy? Equating Slavery with a childs tale about snakes? Come on now...

armaghniac

Could you call yourselves the Battlestars or the Panzers?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 11:35:20 AM

Do think there needs to be that discussion on clubs named after contentious figures. Lot of people who would be in the middle ground in the North for example, are very much put off by some club names linked to figures in the Troubles, and will likely never associate themselves with GAA. No harm in some looking to change and become more inclusive now we're moving on past a lot of these issues on the island. Clubs named after John Mitchel also need to look at themselves, after it was shown what type of man he was.

Maybe they should get rid of all the clubs named after St Patrick, after it was proven that snakes never made it as far as Ireland, so he couldn't possibly have driven them from the country. Plus he was Welsh apparently, and  was likely a rugby man.

Are you really making that analogy? Equating Slavery with a childs tale about snakes? Come on now...

What do you think? What I'm getting at is everyone has a past. Slavery was legal then, was it not? If a ground was named after a club man, and then it was found out years later that he had 3 penalty points, or he once laughed at Bernard Manning telling a Pakistani joke, should we rename the ground? This erasing of history has gone too far.

seafoid

Crom would look great in a name of a Cavan club .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dreadnought

Quote from: BennyCake on November 16, 2021, 11:46:52 AM

What do you think? What I'm getting at is everyone has a past. Slavery was legal then, was it not? If a ground was named after a club man, and then it was found out years later that he had 3 penalty points, or he once laughed at Bernard Manning telling a Pakistani joke, should we rename the ground? This erasing of history has gone too far.

Alright, can't tell if you're actually trolling or not, but that's me out. I'll say this, and then I'm out of discussing this. If you think something was right, just because it was legal (in some countries) then you need your head checked. There was massive uproar against Slavery outside of those benefitting from it (a civil war was fought over it in the US - and Mitchel was on the wrong side of that), and we absolutely can disassociate from those involved in slavery. It doesn't have to be ok or legal at the time. It was and is hugely wrong, and we should not be honouring these type of people. Really pal, don't excuse that.

whitey

I think we should just rename every club in the country to whatever the GPS coordinates are for their home ground

That way no one is offended

Dreadnought

Quote from: whitey on November 16, 2021, 12:12:22 PM
I think we should just rename every club in the country to whatever the GPS coordinates are for their home ground

Ah yes, the old lets change everyone due to a problem few. There's no need for that, no need to be facetious. Vast bulk of clubs names are absolutely fine, but there clearly are a problem few, and we know which ones they are. We see clubs in other sports change (Washington Football don't use Redskins anymore), and others getting serious pressure to change (Exeter Chiefs) so it shouldn't be an issue to look into themselves. Some names aren't even linked to the club or area, it really shouldn't be hard to effect a name change to something local and non contentious. The GAA has evolved on many issues over the years. This should be another as there's really no need for it

BennyCake

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 12:08:55 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 16, 2021, 11:46:52 AM

Alright, can't tell if you're actually trolling or not, but that's me out. I'll say this, and then I'm out of discussing this. If you think something was right, just because it was legal (in some countries) then you need your head checked. There was massive uproar against Slavery outside of those benefitting from it (a civil war was fought over it in the US - and Mitchel was on the wrong side of that), and we absolutely can disassociate from those involved in slavery. It doesn't have to be ok or legal at the time. It was and is hugely wrong, and we should not be honouring these type of people. Really pal, don't excuse that.

I'm not excusing anything. Slavery was wrong, but Mitchell is honoured (like others around that time) for his fight for Irish freedom,  promotion of Irish culture etc. Not because he was a slave owner.

Anyway, you could go through any club name in Ireland and find a reason, However small , to get rid of it. From those who murdered British soldiers, to those that voted against the same sex marriage referendum, to those that gave the  wife the odd slap.  Someone's viewpoint  on one topic/issue will always go against someone else's viewpoint of same. There will always be someone offended by something, that's just the way of the world

LeoMc

If you can show Mitchell was Welsh and it was only a myth he owned slaves your argument would be persuasive.

Rossfan

The holocaust was legal.
The people who hid Anne Frank broke the Law as it then was
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

whitey

A lot of people are outraged at the Catholic Church for child abuse and the treatment of unmarried mothers in homes and Magdalene Laundries

An argument could be made that any club or ground named after a saint or a  cleric should be renamed

Dreadnought

Quote from: whitey on November 16, 2021, 01:02:54 PM
A lot of people are outraged at the Catholic Church for child abuse and the treatment of unmarried mothers in homes and Magdalene Laundries

An argument could be made that any club or ground named after a saint or a  cleric should be renamed

I hope you don't pull your hamstring with that stretch

whitey

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2021, 01:05:24 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 16, 2021, 01:02:54 PM

I hope you don't pull your hamstring with that stretch

What the hell are you talking about?

If I got 10 people to sign a petition to rename a club because they're traumatized every time they drive by the ground, why shouldn't they be heard?

armaghniac

Quote from: whitey on November 16, 2021, 12:12:22 PM

Surely the GAA would require Irish National Grid.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B