Laois Senior Football Championship 2021

Started by SCFC, August 29, 2021, 11:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Robbo on September 20, 2021, 02:42:53 PM
I've seen a lot of matches in both codes over the last couple of weeks. We're not in a great place but at least the football looks quite competitive. I didn't go into the 2 early games on Sunday and though Port are worthy favourites, they're not miles ahead of the pack by any means.

Have to say I was very disappointed with Stradbally. They played into Graigue's hands. I had them as potential dark-horses but they looked a good deal off. Graigue will be there or thereabouts.

O'Dempseys laboured over Rosenallis. Hatch and Barry are dangerous but you'd worry if they are held. They look well-drilled.

Looking forward, I think we'll see wins for Clonaslee, Joe's, Emo and Stradbally.

Ballyfin and Ballylinan should win the relegation semi-finals.

Port favourites; Graigue second.
Very little between O'Ds, Ballyroan, Joseph's, Portlaoise and maybe Strad/Emo.

The fact that Graigue are still the second best team in the county probably means that everyone else is still a way off competing with Port. They should win the Laois championship again but I'm not sure I see them going very far in Leinster if they reached that stage.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on September 20, 2021, 04:00:32 PM
Quote from: Robbo on September 20, 2021, 02:42:53 PM
I've seen a lot of matches in both codes over the last couple of weeks. We're not in a great place but at least the football looks quite competitive. I didn't go into the 2 early games on Sunday and though Port are worthy favourites, they're not miles ahead of the pack by any means.

Have to say I was very disappointed with Stradbally. They played into Graigue's hands. I had them as potential dark-horses but they looked a good deal off. Graigue will be there or thereabouts.

O'Dempseys laboured over Rosenallis. Hatch and Barry are dangerous but you'd worry if they are held. They look well-drilled.

Looking forward, I think we'll see wins for Clonaslee, Joe's, Emo and Stradbally.

Ballyfin and Ballylinan should win the relegation semi-finals.

Port favourites; Graigue second.
Very little between O'Ds, Ballyroan, Joseph's, Portlaoise and maybe Strad/Emo.

The fact that Graigue are still the second best team in the county probably means that everyone else is still a way off competing with Port. They should win the Laois championship again but I'm not sure I see them going very far in Leinster if they reached that stage.

Are Graigue really the second best team in the county though ? I know they got to last years final but they were well beaten by Port. Are they actually any better than Ballyroan, Portlaoise, St Joseph's , ODempseys, Courtwood ??? I'm not sure . If you took Port out of it you would have a right dung heap

town1980

I have to agree with robbo but I am hoping a meeting with Joseph's will kick us into life,, the dogged defensive display from ballyabbey and plus joes had numerical advantage for most parts of the game and could make zero in roads into them  I feel we are well primed to send them out early but only if graham starts Kevin needs to bite the bullet on this one

Chrimtain

I enjoy the GAA podcasts that Laois Today produce. They are interesting and provide a means by which those who cannot attend all of the matches (most of us) an insight into the games.

I would, however, love to hear them discuss, with relevant guests, the state of gaelic games in the county, and how badly needed improvements may be brought about.

I would like to hear them discuss these issues with people like Cheddar, Mick Dempsey, Chris Conway and other relevant people.

I think.such a podcast (or series of podcasts) could be beneficial.

Apart from this forum, it seems to me that the state of the GAA is not discussed at all in the county. Laois Today can provide a huge service by filling that void.

High Fielder

You're basically asking for people to have a discussion about the failings of individuals, clubs and successive County Boards to address ongoing issues. How unlikely is that? Remember, at the end of the day, all politics is local. It doesn't make a whole pile of difference to any of these people how deep in the shit Laois GAA is. The story still gets written and the administrators still administrate.

New manager announced soon. Some of the applicants were worse than I could have imagined, but you'll get that when you're in the state we are. It'll get the red carpet treatment anyway, but we have far bigger issues to address.

town1980

i dont think any of us are going to be happy with who im hearing is nominated ,,alot were approached to do the job and all have turned it down so its a tough process at the minute for the commitee who are probably going to get the blame because the county board stepped away from that process,,still no meeting on why L Phelan was turfed out why would anyone wana be apart of that set up Eddie was given the u20 job and there was alot more candidates looking for it and for me alot more better men,,but the politics of laois GAA is great

High Fielder

The whole process is a joke. The nodding dogs who do or don't attend these CB meetings, and then ratify them for another year and then another, ought to just piss off. Clearly the free parking and entry is clouding their ability to do anything good for Laois GAA. The poor stooks on the Committee probably got a free jacket and expenses. And for what? To stop us being sold to the lowest bidder? There is no hope for us unless we rid ourselves of cronyism and petty politics. I heard the phone calls back and forth after last week's row were like something out of the UN. Priorities eh?

town1980

SCFC

Quote from: town1980 on September 23, 2021, 09:18:42 AM
Eddie was given the u20 job and there was alot more candidates looking for it and for me alot more better men,,but the politics of laois GAA is great
Well if you know so much, who were all these other outstanding candidates? Throw up these names, you say there's a lot of them.

thegreeenandgold

John Sugrue
P J Dempsey
Padraig Clancy
Kevin Doogue
Donnacha Phelan
Eoin Kearns

I think all of them expressed an interest but then Eddie did a fine Job getting beaten by Wicklow, so the review must have been positive from Fergal.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on September 23, 2021, 09:11:18 PM
John Sugrue
P J Dempsey
Padraig Clancy
Kevin Doogue
Donnacha Phelan
Eoin Kearns

I think all of them expressed an interest but then Eddie did a fine Job getting beaten by Wicklow, so the review must have been positive from Fergal.

That Laois U-20 team wasn't a great one, let's be honest. They had been hammered by Meath at their respective Minor grade a few years previous.

Kinsella got a Laois team to a Leinster final before that, where the Dublin side were just too strong in the end and I believe they went on to win an All-Ireland. Personally, I don't have an issue with Kinsella staying on as U-20 manager for another year as I think he's a decent coach. He's done well with Courtwood as well.

town1980

Oh SCFC you not in the no..? but the green and gold ffs you have it spot on it's an abs joke what's going on here,, Eddie great referee but beaten well by port at the weekend act Shuda  been beaten by more a joke that he has the u20 job again but fergal  another man on the review committee who got rid of Laurence phelan is on the job Laois gaa is a joke simple as all of the fore mentioned were interested but one man for me with a track record working with younger lads shuda got the job but I'll let yes guess who I think 🤔

thegreeenandgold

I'd guess by the amount sniffing round this isn't a bad Laois Team. 

Spiritof86

Quote from: town1980 on September 23, 2021, 09:18:42 AM
i dont think any of us are going to be happy with who im hearing is nominated ,,alot were approached to do the job and all have turned it down so its a tough process at the minute for the commitee who are probably going to get the blame because the county board stepped away from that process,,still no meeting on why L Phelan was turfed out why would anyone wana be apart of that set up Eddie was given the u20 job and there was alot more candidates looking for it and for me alot more better men,,but the politics of laois GAA is great

Who is nominated for the job ? Is it a secret ?

SCFC

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on September 23, 2021, 09:11:18 PM
John Sugrue
P J Dempsey
Padraig Clancy
Kevin Doogue
Donnacha Phelan
Eoin Kearns

You "think all of them expressed an interest"?  Sugrue definitely didn't anyway. Out of the rest of them you named kearns would have been an interesting appointment. Can't really see what Donncha Phelan offers. He didn't exactly tear up trees with the minors!