AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Sid Wadell made a rare good point a few days ago

QuoteMickey Harte's tenure since the 2003-2008 team broke up has been quite under rated in that regard because Tyrone have consistently stayed a top four team. They never fell away like other counties after winning All Irelands, which could easily have happened.

This year a lot of the breaks went Tyrones way the type of breaks that didn't go the way of Hartes team in recent years, Donegal was always going to be Tyrones main challenger in Ulster and they lost their best player and leader Michael Murphy early in the game. The build up to the Kerry game was ideal for Tyrone. It was a hyped up Kerry team that had serious issues in defence and Tyrone exploited it with 3 goals another break came in the form of David Clifford playing no part in extra time.

Last be not least the final. Unlike 2018 no Dublin standing in their way as Mayo did them a huge favor by taking them out. The majority of pundits basically did the team talk for Tyrone by writing them off. It was remarked beforehand that Tyrone would need goals and both goals came at key stages in the game and longer the game went on you could see the clear desire from Tyrone to not be that team that lost All Ireland final to a supposedly cursed Mayo team.

An Watcher

I fancied Tyrone to beat Donegal irrespective of Murphy and McGee.  One is done and injuries are catching up with the other.  As for Kerry they were stuffing teams out the gate all-year and have won manys an all ireland with dodgy defences.  Mayo just did what mayo do 8n many finals.
Let's not belittle tyrones achievement.  They beat 4 division one teams on the way to this all ireland.  Have dublin or kerry ever done this.  They've probably won all irelands playing no division one teams. 

Jayop

Quote from: An Watcher on September 17, 2021, 05:28:49 PM
I fancied Tyrone to beat Donegal irrespective of Murphy and McGee.  One is done and injuries are catching up with the other.  As for Kerry they were stuffing teams out the gate all-year and have won manys an all ireland with dodgy defences.  Mayo just did what mayo do 8n many finals.
Let's not belittle tyrones achievement.  They beat 4 division one teams on the way to this all ireland.  Have dublin or kerry ever done this.  They've probably won all irelands playing no division one teams.

4 D1 teams and the reigning Ulster champs. It's a serious route to the final.

2008 we got beat by Down in Ulster, then played

Louth D3
Westmeath D2 (had won promotion that year to D1)
Mayo D1
Dublin D2 (had won promotion that year to D1)
Wexford D3 (had won promotion that year to D2)
Kerry D1

So even that year we only played 2 actual D1 teams but 2 teams who went up to D1 that summer.

I had clean forgot about Wexford in the semi that year. What a summer for them!!

Armagh18

Sure look at Dublin last year, walked through Leinster, beat a dogged but very average Cavan team who are on their way to Division 4 and then beat Mayo pulling up. Handiest one in manys a day.

Armagh18

Quote from: Jayop on September 17, 2021, 05:44:57 PM

Louth D3
Mayo D1
Kerry D1

So even that year we only played 2 actual D1 teams but 2 teams who went up to D1 that summer.

I had clean forgot about Wexford in the semi that year. What a summer for them!!
Was that the year Mattie Ford destroyed us in the quarters? Another one we ballsed up and could have won.

Jayop

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 17, 2021, 05:47:04 PM

Louth D3
Mayo D1
Kerry D1

Was that the year Mattie Ford destroyed us in the quarters? Another one we ballsed up and could have won.

Aye looks like it. According to Wiki this was his day out...

M Forde 1-5 (1f, 1sl)

He didn't win an All Star that year either//

BennyCake

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 17, 2021, 05:47:04 PM

Louth D3
Mayo D1
Kerry D1

Aye that was another AI we left behind us.

clarshack

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 17, 2021, 05:45:48 PM
Sure look at Dublin last year, walked through Leinster, beat a dogged but very average Cavan team who are on their way to Division 4 and then beat Mayo pulling up. Handiest one in manys a day.

Last year was probably the handiest path for the winners since 1997.

Dubhaltach

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 17, 2021, 01:25:51 PM
Quote from: lenny on September 16, 2021, 10:55:44 PM
Quote from: Jayop on September 16, 2021, 10:38:07 PM
Score 2 of them and you'd have been a point up. It's much too simplistic to say that would have won the game (I know that's not exactly what you said). Tyrone could just have easily have reacted and pushed on and scored more. And likewise Tyrone missed some other simple chances, if we had have scored them we'd have won by a mile.

Totally agree. My point was really that Mayo aren't scoring enough in finals to win them. Missing clear cut goal chances saps the confidence of the whole team. 0.15 won't win too many finals but 2.15 would be hard to beat most times. Mckenna showed a level of composure that IMO was beyond any of the Mayo forwards.

Mayo for a team with so many great individual defenders were opened up a lot, Tyrone missed plenty of easy chances. That 2nd goal was coming from the long kickout had been coming since early on and was a very obvious tactic that Horan had done nothing to negate. I listened to a good few podcasts during the build up and plenty from Mayo thought it needed to be a low scoring game for Mayo to win, conceding 2-14 is always going to make it nigh on impossible to win especially when you've got a half forward line and a full forward who barely contribute to the scoreboard. Even with Cillian O'Connor back next year I don't see Mayo winning it with Horan's tactics, its a definition of madness to keep making the same mistakes time and time again.

Hard to argue with any of that.

JoG2

Quote from: Dubhaltach on September 17, 2021, 07:02:30 PM
Score 2 of them and you'd have been a point up. It's much too simplistic to say that would have won the game (I know that's not exactly what you said). Tyrone could just have easily have reacted and pushed on and scored more. And likewise Tyrone missed some other simple chances, if we had have scored them we'd have won by a mile.

Totally agree. My point was really that Mayo aren't scoring enough in finals to win them. Missing clear cut goal chances saps the confidence of the whole team. 0.15 won't win too many finals but 2.15 would be hard to beat most times. Mckenna showed a level of composure that IMO was beyond any of the Mayo forwards.

Mayo for a team with so many great individual defenders were opened up a lot, Tyrone missed plenty of easy chances. That 2nd goal was coming from the long kickout had been coming since early on and was a very obvious tactic that Horan had done nothing to negate. I listened to a good few podcasts during the build up and plenty from Mayo thought it needed to be a low scoring game for Mayo to win, conceding 2-14 is always going to make it nigh on impossible to win especially when you've got a half forward line and a full forward who barely contribute to the scoreboard. Even with Cillian O'Connor back next year I don't see Mayo winning it with Horan's tactics, its a definition of madness to keep making the same mistakes time and time again.

Horan didn't butcher about 12 points worth in the 3rd quarter alone. As for negating against the long kickout, it'll happen the odd time. Pushing up on the kickouts, percentage wise is probably the wisest thing to do over the course of the game. When pushing up what spare men have you got?

And, as I'm generally interested, what tactics of Horan's does yourself and Maroon not agree with and what should Horan implement? A couple of cooler heads on the pitch, Mayo win and Horan is the bee's knees.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 17, 2021, 06:59:54 PM
I'm certainly not belittling their achievement. They won the All Ireland for Christ sake!
I'm just of the opinion that they haven't been given the credit they deserve over the last few years. Other than a superb Dublin outfit, they've been as good as anyone.

But, until 2021 that doesn't bear scrutiny -- we did not beat any of the 'top 3' since 2008 until this year, with Dublin, Kerry & Mayo all having our number (despite games we "should have won", we didn't).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Dubhaltach

Quote from: JoG2 on September 17, 2021, 08:03:31 PM
Quote from: Dubhaltach on September 17, 2021, 07:02:30 PM

Horan didn't butcher about 12 points worth in the 3rd quarter alone. As for negating against the long kickout, it'll happen the odd time. Pushing up on the kickouts, percentage wise is probably the wisest thing to do over the course of the game. When pushing up what spare men have you got?

And, as I'm generally interested, what tactics of Horan's does yourself and Maroon not agree with and what should Horan implement? A couple of cooler heads on the pitch, Mayo win and Horan is the bee's knees.

Even if Mayo had have taken more of the scores you refer to, chances are Tyrone would still have won. There is always goals to be got against Mayo in finals and the Tyrone players knew that as well as anyone.

Horan's tactics or 'Horanball' as its called by some in Mayo, involves pushing the entire half backline forward and leaving the full back line totally exposed. There is no plan B. Look at McShane's goal the last day, he was left one on one and the inevitable happened. It was well taken and fair play to him but it's the exact same shite that happened us with Kieran Donaghy in 2014. Lessons are just not learned. I don't want to be too harsh on Horan because he's done an unbelievable amount for Mayo football, I just have no faith that he's going to be the man to get us over the line.

From the Bunker

God you know sometimes the better team wins. 

screenexile

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 17, 2021, 09:56:10 PM
God you know sometimes the better team wins. 

Sin é nothing more needs to be said close her up!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair enough, closing this one, good luck in 2022 all.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...