2018 Ulster Club Minor Tournament

Started by bloody mary, December 16, 2018, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloody mary

It's getting interesting. Bellaghy qualified today to play St Eunan's in the semi-finals, while Crossmaglen will play Ballyholland in the other semi. Here's how Bellaghy won today against Inniskeen.. https://youtu.be/VdOWMQNgpG4

Dougal Maguire

I can't understand how this meaningless excuse for a football tournament is still going on. Clubs have to pay to participate and are treated like crap. Games are played on a quagmire pitch in the depth of winter. There's no car parking and even less facilities. Was speaking to a lady from Inniskeen who was at the tournament. I warned her in advance what it was like but of course they delighted to have qualified. She's changed her tune now they've experienced it.
Careful now

thewobbler

What really happened to you at the tournament dougal?

Dougal Maguire

Jesus man I couldn't even start to tell you. In fact I can feel my old trouble coming on again even thinking about it again
Careful now

restorepride

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 17, 2018, 10:06:05 PM
I can't understand how this meaningless excuse for a football tournament is still going on. Clubs have to pay to participate and are treated like crap. Games are played on a quagmire pitch in the depth of winter. There's no car parking and even less facilities. Was speaking to a lady from Inniskeen who was at the tournament. I warned her in advance what it was like but of course they delighted to have qualified. She's changed her tune now they've experienced it.
Sounds like a very sore loser. 

Dougal Maguire

Not at all. Fact is it's a meaningless competition which is really badly run at a venue and time which are both totally unsuitable. I remember when our team lost in the final they were put out of the dressing room and  made stand out in a sleet storm to watch the presentation. Some of the lads were just in their football socks. It was shocking. Obviously you guys are on a high cos you're still in it, and good luck to you. It's many years since we were there and I still remember it vividly so awful was it.
Careful now

Tyrdub

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 18, 2018, 01:09:08 AM
Not at all. Fact is it's a meaningless competition which is really badly run at a venue and time which are both totally unsuitable. I remember when our team lost in the final they were put out of the dressing room and  made stand out in a sleet storm to watch the presentation. Some of the lads were just in their football socks. It was shocking. Obviously you guys are on a high cos you're still in it, and good luck to you. It's many years since we were there and I still remember it vividly so awful was it.

Better luck next year!

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

thewobbler

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 18, 2018, 01:09:08 AM

The value/importance of a tournament is decided by the competitors and not the organisers.

From what I've seen this year, clubs will knock their pans in to win it.

You might need to redefine "meaningless".

Dougal Maguire

No, I've no plans to do so. A meaningless tournament with no official standing. Akin to a friendly match. It's actually a danger to let children participate. When you compare it with the Feile you realise that there's no comparison.
Careful now

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on December 18, 2018, 03:04:34 PM
No, I've no plans to do so. A meaningless tournament with no official standing. Akin to a friendly match. It's actually a danger to let children participate. When you compare it with the Feile you realise that there's no comparison.

We won this the year they made it an All Ireland competition to celebrate their Jubilee. Nemo Rangers and Dungiven were two of the other representatives. I disagree with your assessment :)

brokencrossbar1

As regular participants in it I believe that it is an excellent competition and the teams involved in my experience have always had nothing but praise for the organisers. 

bloody mary

I think anyone who hasn't been up to St Paul's for a few years would be impressed by the improvement in facilities. There is a new terraced area for supporters which is really excellent, much better than before, no grassy banks any more, all concreted with shops, barriers, fencing, etc. There is also a new first-class all-weather warm-up area for teams, plus the pitch surface is vastly improved. The club will admit themselves that the pitch was a weak point in years gone by but they have worked very hard on it, plus several games have been played this year at Colaiste Feirste which is one of the best GAA facilities I have seen, both for spectators and players. In every interview, players and managers talk about the honour and excitement of playing in the Tournament, whether they are new to it, like Inniskeen last Sunday, or Bellaghy who are trying to emulate their previous generation who won it in the 1990s. It's quite incredible that the competition has been hosted every single year in all sorts of climate, both weather and political, since the early 1980s. The host club members have always stepped up to the plate, whether to clear snow or do umpires or whatever, year in year out, giving up their Boxing Day and New Year's Day. The tournament has also inspired an U-16 version in Dromore and an U-21 version in Creggan. But at the end of the day it's up to the players and clubs to take part or not, and every year they come from all parts of Ulster. In 2012, Kilcar left home at 6am to play and an unknown Paddy McBrearty banged in a great goal. 9 months later Paddy won the Sam Maguire. Not that it's all about winning. In fact, Kilcar lost that day. I do recall the Final where the presentation was made in awful conditions a few years ago, but that can happen and of course it is worse when you lose, but it is custom for losing teams to watch the presentation, no matter what the weather is. Half an hour later, everyone was sat down enjoying a 3-course meal in the clubhouse. By the way, it is an official competition, sanctioned by Ulster Council.

bloody mary

If you watch the first 10 seconds of this video from Sunday, I don't think you could call the pitch a quagmire..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBToTurjdKc

timmyot501

That is some clip of Bellaghy breaking out of defence at speed (54 seconds in) and creating a goal chance.  Then a good save, a follow up block by Inniskeen No. 5 and finally recycled and popped over the bar.  (Of course under the new rules the shot at goal wouldn't happen as there was one hand pass too many)