Monaghan v Down 07/02 Clones 2pm

Started by Main Street, February 05, 2016, 01:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Referee: Cormac Reilly
Monaghan are made hot favorites to win this game this weekend.  A false reflection I think.
Down are supposedly coming to Clones with their tails between their legs and we are supposedly on a high after a fortunate enough win in Roscommon.
Though I  fancy us to win because i'm biased  and we usually win these type of games at home against all (sweet, sour and bitter) ulster rivals.

Brick Tamlin

Im expecting Down to improve their performance from last weeks debacle.
But I still wouldn't give them a hope of beating a side who are miles ahead of them in terms of their development.
Bookies have it spot on im afraid. Put the house on Monaghan. I cant see how Down will beat Monaghan.

Schkite

It's the kind of game we've so often slipped up in over the years. A game we're expected to win and most people tipping us. For the most part we've learned to deal with that expectation a bit better in the last couple of years, but still we'll have to guard against complacency, but again the team is experienced enough at this stage to know that.

Down will be well improved I'm sure and out to prove a point, but they've a few key players missing and we're normally tough to beat in Clones, so I'd be confident enough of the win. Should we win that will leave us in a great position on 4 points and most of the league still to come. Malachy will be well aware that, despite getting the win, last Sunday's performance left alot to be desired so I'd want to see an improvement in ourselves aswell.

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on February 05, 2016, 03:27:54 PM
It's the kind of game we've so often slipped up in over the years. A game we're expected to win and most people tipping us. For the most part we've learned to deal with that expectation a bit better in the last couple of years, but still we'll have to guard against complacency, but again the team is experienced enough at this stage to know that.

Down will be well improved I'm sure and out to prove a point, but they've a few key players missing and we're normally tough to beat in Clones, so I'd be confident enough of the win. Should we win that will leave us in a great position on 4 points and most of the league still to come. Malachy will be well aware that, despite getting the win, last Sunday's performance left alot to be desired so I'd want to see an improvement in ourselves aswell.
After me saying that we usually win these type of league games.

armaghniac

"Interesting" policy in Monaghan of making it harder for fans to attend, playing Mayo in 'Blayney and Down in Clones. Not very collegiate.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

snoopdog

Totally agree this game would've been better in Blaney .  Also it's years since I've been at a game in blaney so it would've been nice to see the new stand.

Down Follower

We are at a low ebb in terms of confidence and indeed personnel.  We arent even as good as we were last year (which wasnt great) when we got promoted and nowhere near the team we were 5/6 years ago.
Given the above, we honestly dont expect to win this game, and in fact would probably secretly be delighted if we give it a good run.  Even in NFL games now, the team has to be super prepared which Monaghan are, and we are not. 
No fault of management as they are only in a wet week, just the way it is at the moment.

armaghniac

Quote from: snoopdog on February 05, 2016, 04:13:43 PM
Totally agree this game would've been better in Blaney .  Also it's years since I've been at a game in blaney so it would've been nice to see the new stand.

Sure you can drive past it, giving you a chance to visit real football country on your way to Newry

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: armaghniac on February 05, 2016, 04:04:21 PM
"Interesting" policy in Monaghan of making it harder for fans to attend, playing Mayo in 'Blayney and Down in Clones. Not very collegiate.

"Interesting" observation from a county who played most of their NFL games (until recently) in one venue (see Athletic Grounds history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_Grounds).

All counties do that sh*t.. Monaghan fans had to travel to a 2,500 capacity stadium last weekend; what's your thoughts on that?

The rationale may be; not that many Mayo fans would travel, and hence 'Blayney would suffice whereas many Down fans would travel, and hence Clones was required.

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on February 05, 2016, 03:54:10 PM
Quote from: Schkite on February 05, 2016, 03:27:54 PM

After me saying that we usually win these type of league games.

Ha yeah fair point! Now I think about it, my point probably fits in more to championship games where we were favourites after a previous win, you know the type.

armaghniac

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash"Interesting" observation from a county who played most of their NFL games (until recently) in one venue (see Athletic Grounds history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_Grounds).

The Athletic Grounds is central, and conventient to trunk roads, buses etc. Nothing to note about its use.

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on February 05, 2016, 05:17:59 PM
All counties do that sh*t.. Monaghan fans had to travel to a 2,500 capacity stadium last weekend; what's your thoughts on that?

Because other people do it does not make it right. Monaghan complained about last week, and rightly so.

QuoteThe rationale may be; not that many Mayo fans would travel, and hence 'Blayney would suffice whereas many Down fans would travel, and hence Clones was required.

Perhaps. But I'd say 'Blayney would hold the crowd, Down people are not very upbeat at present. 

I just think the GAA should facilitate people.

cluaineois

Ah lads let's not start this crap again. Clones is our nominated county ground.while I have nothing against blaney the design of the new stand is not great as it is set so far back from the pitch that you feel that you might as well be in doohamlet. Roscommons ploy of bringing us to kilotoom last week seems to have had the desired effect as I see that this week the new pitch for the Hyde was given the go-ahead. Believe it or not armaghniac clones does suit some of us.
once your a clone your never alone

Main Street

Clones being the nominated county ground doesn't cut the mustard, The point Armaghniac made  is that Clones can be nominated one week  for the game against Down and Blaney the next week for the visit of Mayo and maybe it would have been more logical to do it vice versa.
I would hope there is a good reason rather than some haphazard decision being made.

Schkite

Monaghan team:

1   Rory Beggan   
2   Colin Walshe   
3   Drew Wylie   
4   Ryan Wylie   
5   Dessie Mone   
6   Kieran Duffy
7   Fintan Kelly   
8   Neil Mc Adam   
9   Darren Hughes   
10   Karl O'Connell   
11   Dermot Malone   
12   Thomas Kerr   
13   Shane Carey   
14   Owen Duffy   
15   Conor McManus   

16   Mark Keogh   
17   John McCarron   
18   Conor Boyle   
19   Niall Mc Keown
20   Mark Thornton
21   Padraic Keenan
22   Ryan McAnespie   
23   Stephen Gollogly   
24   Conor Mc Carthy   
25   Daniel Mc Kenna   
26   Barry Mc Ginn   

GrandMasterFlash

My point re the ground was not in relation to the (now trite) argument re 'Clones not Clones'. I was making the point that counties pick their grounds to suit the game in question. We took Tyrone to Inniskeen a few years back to beat them, and it worked. Roscommon tried it last week. I'm sure the same rationale has been applied by the Armagh county board; sure didn't they opt for Clones for their championship games during the 00's when they were going well. Why? because it worked.

Also, when the fixtures were being made nobody knew or considered the relative happiness of the average Down fan..

I'd expect a bit more bite from them tomorrow after last weeks disaster. Not having O'Hare doesn't help their case mind..