Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 11, 2021, 05:51:03 PM
What percentage of terrestrial TV viewership want in analysis? 15%?

Most don't care!

My wife the kids will watch sport. They will get emotionally involved. But they care little for analysis. Not unless there is a controversial decision or someone makes a mistake and it affect the result in a negative way to the result they wanted. And that's not analysis.

The rest is Punch and Judy.

So why even bother having any pundits giving analysis then?
That was never a square ball!!

Tony Baloney

Most don't care!

My wife the kids will watch sport. They will get emotionally involved. But they care little for analysis. Not unless there is a controversial decision or someone makes a mistake and it affect the result in a negative way to the result they wanted. And that's not analysis.

Same here. I like the analysis but the young buck has zero interest on tv analysis but will happily watch some tubes on YouTube talk shite about it.

tiempo

More football less shite talk

Look no further

https://youtu.be/vz3XVPGWMUI

Walter Cronc

Quote from: johnnycool on June 10, 2021, 11:24:38 AM
WRT pundits, I never bother with the lads/ladies at half time, but the pundits co comparing during the game are more important.

McStay and his americanisms does my banger in.

Hurling wise I like Duignan and Donal O'Grady.

Nail on the head. The commentator and Co commentator far more important for me. Those are the ones who need to tell the viewer what's happening. Martin Carney, Martin McHugh. Jesus wept.

tiempo

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 12, 2021, 12:10:05 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 10, 2021, 11:24:38 AM
WRT pundits, I never bother with the lads/ladies at half time, but the pundits co comparing during the game are more important.

McStay and his americanisms does my banger in.

Hurling wise I like Duignan and Donal O'Grady.

Nail on the head. The commentator and Co commentator far more important for me. Those are the ones who need to tell the viewer what's happening. Martin Carney, Martin McHugh. Jesus wept.

Martin McHugh, wise after the fact 🥱

McStay treats it like an interview for the Mayo job, next parish New Yark

Hard to look past Jimmy Smyth

Tubberman

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 10, 2021, 12:05:37 PM
Quote from: APM on June 10, 2021, 11:16:19 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 10, 2021, 09:25:00 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2021, 05:07:24 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2021, 08:51:04 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 07:56:50 PM
Yeah it's the personal attacks. Let's not forget that's why he is out of RTE and he was warned. He wasn't a victim from one incident here.

The political stuff should have been separate and they didn't seem to seperate it mind you but I dunno what he wants to achieve here.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/no-regrets-from-rte-chief-mcbennett-over-axing-of-controversial-pundit-brolly-39487035.html

It was primarily down to a change in the head of RTE sport and his change away from personality based pundits to more game based analysis. Has the standard of pundit on RTE improved since the new head came in, I don't think so. I watched the Ireland match last night and didn't tune into the analysis yet this used to often be the best entertainment of the night. Wondering what Dunphy and Giles would say and how Bill knew how to press their buttons.

I do get the fact that some people want stats based analysis and information on KPIs but if I want that type of information I'll sign up for a coaching seminar. It just doesn't interest me.

This looks like the real reason he was sacked

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/no-regrets-from-rte-chief-mcbennett-over-axing-of-controversial-pundit-brolly-39487035.html

"I don't think you can just cover it the same way you've always done. People want to learn more. It's simply not good enough to come out with the same scenario... the old days were good, this is awful. "

Dublin's  hegemony is a huge problem for anyone selling ads linked to.sports coverage. TV sport is about drama and the all Ireland endgame doesn't have any..

Using that metric, Pat Spillane and Colm O'Rourke should be gone too then!

Exactly what I was thinking.  Spillane in particular should be gone on that basis.  The interesting thing about Brolly that McConville seemed to uncover was that he is capable of giving far more incisive analysis, but he chose not to do so. He worked on the basis that people tuned into to hear a yarn at half time and for a good portion of the population he was probably right. 

My view of Brolly is that once you accept him for what he is, he is quite enjoyable to listen to.  His rant on Cavanagh was really good TV and for the most part he was dead right about the cynicism.  He articulated it very well; the notion that they were celebrating but that they had achieved something rotten.  There was hyperbole, but it was worth it as the point needed to be made.  Can you imagine any other pundit saying it. 

I could live without Spillane as there was no-one else who pedaled the myth as much as him that it was better in the 70s like him.  Pure crap analysis. 

It's grand to have the detailed analysis of tactics and formulations.  However, its great to have someone to spark a debate. There's no harm in the devil's advocate.

Paddy Heaney once had a very accurate article in the Irish News about GAA attendances depending heavily on the average drinking man.  They aren't there to examine tactics and they aren't that committed.  They are there to enjoy themselves, have a day out, a few pints and roar on their team.  He talked about them being priced out the gate by rising ticket costs.  The average drinking man is probably sitting at home or in the pub, and isn't a bit worried about which team made the most unforced errors.  It's the likes of Brolly, Spillane etc that keeps these guys engaged.

Oisin made that point, but Brolly refuted it in the interview and I have to say I agree with Brolly on that.
Once you cut through the bluster and the "entertainment", Brolly gave some very good insights into the games. I think a lot of people couldn't see past Brolly the entertainer far enough to actually listen to the analyst.
Of course that's a problem for a pundit too, but to be fair to brolly IMO he was rarely too far off the mark in terms of analysis.
I actually find McConnville (and Canavan for that matter) really difficult to listen to due to their tone of voice. The bore the arse of me to be honest.

So, if you ignore the 90% of waffle, insults,  made-up stories, and demeaning of amateur players, you'll find he can make a point?
Well, couldn't we just listen to someone who doesn't spout 90% shite?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

yellowcard

Most don't care!

I think this is increasingly true. Attention spans with the younger generation are much lower. The half time break is a chance to get a comfort break and attention moves to their IPhone or elsewhere not some ex player talking about turnovers and transitions. It has to be something entertaining to hold their attention. Some of these pundits take themselves and their roles far too seriously.

StPatsAbu

Canavan on Sky gives a level of analysis that makes every one of RTE pundits look like rank amateurs

Silver hill

Quote from: StPatsAbu on June 13, 2021, 02:33:07 PM
Canavan on Sky gives a level of analysis that makes every one of RTE pundits look like rank amateurs

Aye, but his voice is like the boring priest in Father Ted.

tbrick18

Quote from: Tubberman on June 12, 2021, 07:32:40 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 10, 2021, 12:05:37 PM
Quote from: APM on June 10, 2021, 11:16:19 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 10, 2021, 09:25:00 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2021, 05:07:24 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2021, 08:51:04 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 07:56:50 PM
Yeah it's the personal attacks. Let's not forget that's why he is out of RTE and he was warned. He wasn't a victim from one incident here.

The political stuff should have been separate and they didn't seem to seperate it mind you but I dunno what he wants to achieve here.

It was primarily down to a change in the head of RTE sport and his change away from personality based pundits to more game based analysis. Has the standard of pundit on RTE improved since the new head came in, I don't think so. I watched the Ireland match last night and didn't tune into the analysis yet this used to often be the best entertainment of the night. Wondering what Dunphy and Giles would say and how Bill knew how to press their buttons.

I do get the fact that some people want stats based analysis and information on KPIs but if I want that type of information I'll sign up for a coaching seminar. It just doesn't interest me.

This looks like the real reason he was sacked

"I don't think you can just cover it the same way you've always done. People want to learn more. It's simply not good enough to come out with the same scenario... the old days were good, this is awful. "

Dublin's  hegemony is a huge problem for anyone selling ads linked to.sports coverage. TV sport is about drama and the all Ireland endgame doesn't have any..

Using that metric, Pat Spillane and Colm O'Rourke should be gone too then!

Exactly what I was thinking.  Spillane in particular should be gone on that basis.  The interesting thing about Brolly that McConville seemed to uncover was that he is capable of giving far more incisive analysis, but he chose not to do so. He worked on the basis that people tuned into to hear a yarn at half time and for a good portion of the population he was probably right. 

My view of Brolly is that once you accept him for what he is, he is quite enjoyable to listen to.  His rant on Cavanagh was really good TV and for the most part he was dead right about the cynicism.  He articulated it very well; the notion that they were celebrating but that they had achieved something rotten.  There was hyperbole, but it was worth it as the point needed to be made.  Can you imagine any other pundit saying it. 

I could live without Spillane as there was no-one else who pedaled the myth as much as him that it was better in the 70s like him.  Pure crap analysis. 

It's grand to have the detailed analysis of tactics and formulations.  However, its great to have someone to spark a debate. There's no harm in the devil's advocate.

Paddy Heaney once had a very accurate article in the Irish News about GAA attendances depending heavily on the average drinking man.  They aren't there to examine tactics and they aren't that committed.  They are there to enjoy themselves, have a day out, a few pints and roar on their team.  He talked about them being priced out the gate by rising ticket costs.  The average drinking man is probably sitting at home or in the pub, and isn't a bit worried about which team made the most unforced errors.  It's the likes of Brolly, Spillane etc that keeps these guys engaged.

Oisin made that point, but Brolly refuted it in the interview and I have to say I agree with Brolly on that.
Once you cut through the bluster and the "entertainment", Brolly gave some very good insights into the games. I think a lot of people couldn't see past Brolly the entertainer far enough to actually listen to the analyst.
Of course that's a problem for a pundit too, but to be fair to brolly IMO he was rarely too far off the mark in terms of analysis.
I actually find McConnville (and Canavan for that matter) really difficult to listen to due to their tone of voice. The bore the arse of me to be honest.

So, if you ignore the 90% of waffle, insults,  made-up stories, and demeaning of amateur players, you'll find he can make a point?
Well, couldn't we just listen to someone who doesn't spout 90% shite?

Don't ignore it, accept it for what it is and for what Brolly himself says it is.....barstool conversation, personal opinion and a bit of craic. That's the entertainment part and it generally sits on top of some decent analysis.

Canavan doesn't spout "shite" as you call it, but you couldn't listen to him. He'd put an insomniac to sleep as would the majority of other pundits.

I know what I'd rather watch on The Sunday Game.

Rossfan

I'd prefer to watch more action and less blather
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

keep her low this half

Quote from: Rossfan on June 21, 2021, 10:35:52 AM
I'd prefer to watch more action and less blather

This times 1,000. An hour and a half of the Sunday game and about 20 minutes of actual hurling/football the rest auld shite analysis. Feck that 1 hour 15 of action, 15 minutes analysis.

imtommygunn

TG4 monday night has it right. Show more of the games. Sure any sunday game etc I would just record and fast forward through.

Captain Scarlet

It actually takes more time to edit down a match to 45 seconds than to let a proper highlights package of 3-4 minutes roll on.
Like there are times when serious passes or skill are never seen even though there are cameras there. And then it cuts back to studio to lads who simply could not have seen anything about the game and they will waffle on.

They don't need to have a generic comment on every game, just play more match highlights! The whole Brolly thing was great for a bit when his clips started getting the social media traction but then they pulled back and went safe.

Overall the standard is very bad. Like in Euro 2020 the lack of homework done by the panel at times is really poor, even for the bigger teams. Constantly stopping to check notes for names and so on.

It's talk for the sake of it.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

greatpoint

Brolly on Cavan:

QuoteWhat has happened to Cavan? Their vibrant Ulster championship, all courage and togetherness, men chasing after lost causes and diving into danger like lunatics, has disappeared from memory quicker than Donald Trump.

If they keep going the way they are at the moment, this time next year they will be in Division 5 with Kilkenny, the Aran islands, Siberian Gaels, Warwickshire over 40s and the PSNI.