Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redzone

Who's the ejjicts on Northern Sound. Good craic the odd time I used to listen in

APM

Quote from: Gold on June 10, 2021, 09:19:50 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 10, 2021, 12:05:37 PM
Quote from: APM on June 10, 2021, 11:16:19 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 10, 2021, 09:25:00 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2021, 05:07:24 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2021, 08:51:04 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 07:56:50 PM
Yeah it's the personal attacks. Let's not forget that's why he is out of RTE and he was warned. He wasn't a victim from one incident here.

The political stuff should have been separate and they didn't seem to seperate it mind you but I dunno what he wants to achieve here.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/no-regrets-from-rte-chief-mcbennett-over-axing-of-controversial-pundit-brolly-39487035.html

It was primarily down to a change in the head of RTE sport and his change away from personality based pundits to more game based analysis. Has the standard of pundit on RTE improved since the new head came in, I don't think so. I watched the Ireland match last night and didn't tune into the analysis yet this used to often be the best entertainment of the night. Wondering what Dunphy and Giles would say and how Bill knew how to press their buttons.

I do get the fact that some people want stats based analysis and information on KPIs but if I want that type of information I'll sign up for a coaching seminar. It just doesn't interest me.

This looks like the real reason he was sacked

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/no-regrets-from-rte-chief-mcbennett-over-axing-of-controversial-pundit-brolly-39487035.html

"I don't think you can just cover it the same way you've always done. People want to learn more. It's simply not good enough to come out with the same scenario... the old days were good, this is awful. "

Dublin's  hegemony is a huge problem for anyone selling ads linked to.sports coverage. TV sport is about drama and the all Ireland endgame doesn't have any..

Using that metric, Pat Spillane and Colm O'Rourke should be gone too then!

Exactly what I was thinking.  Spillane in particular should be gone on that basis.  The interesting thing about Brolly that McConville seemed to uncover was that he is capable of giving far more incisive analysis, but he chose not to do so. He worked on the basis that people tuned into to hear a yarn at half time and for a good portion of the population he was probably right. 

My view of Brolly is that once you accept him for what he is, he is quite enjoyable to listen to.  His rant on Cavanagh was really good TV and for the most part he was dead right about the cynicism.  He articulated it very well; the notion that they were celebrating but that they had achieved something rotten.  There was hyperbole, but it was worth it as the point needed to be made.  Can you imagine any other pundit saying it. 

I could live without Spillane as there was no-one else who pedaled the myth as much as him that it was better in the 70s like him.  Pure crap analysis. 

It's grand to have the detailed analysis of tactics and formulations.  However, its great to have someone to spark a debate. There's no harm in the devil's advocate.

Paddy Heaney once had a very accurate article in the Irish News about GAA attendances depending heavily on the average drinking man.  They aren't there to examine tactics and they aren't that committed.  They are there to enjoy themselves, have a day out, a few pints and roar on their team.  He talked about them being priced out the gate by rising ticket costs.  The average drinking man is probably sitting at home or in the pub, and isn't a bit worried about which team made the most unforced errors.  It's the likes of Brolly, Spillane etc that keeps these guys engaged.

Oisin made that point, but Brolly refuted it in the interview and I have to say I agree with Brolly on that.
Once you cut through the bluster and the "entertainment", Brolly gave some very good insights into the games. I think a lot of people couldn't see past Brolly the entertainer far enough to actually listen to the analyst.
Of course that's a problem for a pundit too, but to be fair to brolly IMO he was rarely too far off the mark in terms of analysis.
I actually find McConnville (and Canavan for that matter) really difficult to listen to due to their tone of voice. The bore the arse of me to be honest.

Agree with all that. Brolly when he wanted to be was thee most informative pundit out there. He did get bored and did go off on rants but on form he was the best. Most importantly Joe was right in the podcast....IT IS ENTERTAINMENT ffs. Its our amateur sport that takes us away from our daily humdrum and we want a balance of insight and craic.

Canavan and McConville are good analysts but so drove...no life in them.

Eamon  Fitzmaurice seems like he's at a wake. Awful. Wieland constantly angry and dour.

There's bound to be some boys with a bit of craic and light in their eyes out there who can give a bit of both and are articulate enough to teach and keep us entertained

I'd be happy enough to listen to a McConville or a Canavan with a Brolly alongside them. Part of the problem in RTE is the increased level of political correctness. It's all so careful and once Joanne Cantwell replcaed Michael Lyster, it seemed to me that she didn't want to work with him.   

Louther

Listened to the first 15mins and it's text book Brolly so far. Makes a couple of good points and then talks over everyone, talks about himself and throws in a few far fetched tales.

Two corkers so far:
- Dublin team Doctor, Dr Hickey, rang him after his comments on Tyrone and told him he was watching it in a pub in Listowel and there was a round of applause and standing ovation for Brolly after he spoke.
- pub in Tyrone had to turn off the TV when Brolly was speaking before a game as the punters where throwing their shoes at the telly.  ::)

Then at one stage Mark Sidebottom said that not all people like what Brolly was describing as his style. Brolly disagreed naturally, Sidebottom give example of he been at dinner the day before and 3 people where looking forward to the podcast and 3 said they wouldn't listen. Brolly dismissed this and said the 3 where lying.

That 15 minute is Brolly in a nutshell. It's funny at first but tiresome after half a hour. If you in a pub, you'd listen to it for first pint but you'd quickly look to move on.

BennyHarp

John McEntee the greatest Armagh player ever?  :o
That was never a square ball!!

APM

Quote from: Louther on June 11, 2021, 09:23:53 AM
Listened to the first 15mins and it's text book Brolly so far. Makes a couple of good points and then talks over everyone, talks about himself and throws in a few far fetched tales.

Two corkers so far:
- Dublin team Doctor, Dr Hickey, rang him after his comments on Tyrone and told him he was watching it in a pub in Listowel and there was a round of applause and standing ovation for Brolly after he spoke.
- pub in Tyrone had to turn off the TV when Brolly was speaking before a game as the punters where throwing their shoes at the telly.  ::)

Then at one stage Mark Sidebottom said that not all people like what Brolly was describing as his style. Brolly disagreed naturally, Sidebottom give example of he been at dinner the day before and 3 people where looking forward to the podcast and 3 said they wouldn't listen. Brolly dismissed this and said the 3 where lying.

That 15 minute is Brolly in a nutshell. It's funny at first but tiresome after half a hour. If you in a pub, you'd listen to it for first pint but you'd quickly look to move on.

Is it not good craic talking to people with opinions that they can articulate well and in an entertaining way, even if you disagree with them.  I laugh at people complaining about him telling lies.  Who's to say that story about Dr Hickey was untrue.  I can imagine it happening.  I don't know about the shoe story, but wouldn't rule it out in certain Tyrone bars  ;)

Even if it isn't true. What odds?

He's telling a story and giving a bit of colour.  He's passionate and clearly has a love of the games. You can see that he is concerned that as a cultural and sporting body, something is being lost in the drive for a more professional approach, whether its in the cautious football, the bland boring sports personalities, cynical football or some of the ambitions of the GPA. 

You mightn't like him, or his personality, but take away all of the bluster he is a really important voice for the GAA to listen to.

tbrick18

Quote from: APM on June 10, 2021, 09:35:48 PM
Yeah it's the personal attacks. Let's not forget that's why he is out of RTE and he was warned. He wasn't a victim from one incident here.

The political stuff should have been separate and they didn't seem to seperate it mind you but I dunno what he wants to achieve here.

It was primarily down to a change in the head of RTE sport and his change away from personality based pundits to more game based analysis. Has the standard of pundit on RTE improved since the new head came in, I don't think so. I watched the Ireland match last night and didn't tune into the analysis yet this used to often be the best entertainment of the night. Wondering what Dunphy and Giles would say and how Bill knew how to press their buttons.

I do get the fact that some people want stats based analysis and information on KPIs but if I want that type of information I'll sign up for a coaching seminar. It just doesn't interest me.

"I don't think you can just cover it the same way you've always done. People want to learn more. It's simply not good enough to come out with the same scenario... the old days were good, this is awful. "

Dublin's  hegemony is a huge problem for anyone selling ads linked to.sports coverage. TV sport is about drama and the all Ireland endgame doesn't have any..

Exactly what I was thinking.  Spillane in particular should be gone on that basis.  The interesting thing about Brolly that McConville seemed to uncover was that he is capable of giving far more incisive analysis, but he chose not to do so. He worked on the basis that people tuned into to hear a yarn at half time and for a good portion of the population he was probably right. 

My view of Brolly is that once you accept him for what he is, he is quite enjoyable to listen to.  His rant on Cavanagh was really good TV and for the most part he was dead right about the cynicism.  He articulated it very well; the notion that they were celebrating but that they had achieved something rotten.  There was hyperbole, but it was worth it as the point needed to be made.  Can you imagine any other pundit saying it. 

I could live without Spillane as there was no-one else who pedaled the myth as much as him that it was better in the 70s like him.  Pure crap analysis. 

It's grand to have the detailed analysis of tactics and formulations.  However, its great to have someone to spark a debate. There's no harm in the devil's advocate.

Paddy Heaney once had a very accurate article in the Irish News about GAA attendances depending heavily on the average drinking man.  They aren't there to examine tactics and they aren't that committed.  They are there to enjoy themselves, have a day out, a few pints and roar on their team.  He talked about them being priced out the gate by rising ticket costs.  The average drinking man is probably sitting at home or in the pub, and isn't a bit worried about which team made the most unforced errors.  It's the likes of Brolly, Spillane etc that keeps these guys engaged.

Oisin made that point, but Brolly refuted it in the interview and I have to say I agree with Brolly on that.
Once you cut through the bluster and the "entertainment", Brolly gave some very good insights into the games. I think a lot of people couldn't see past Brolly the entertainer far enough to actually listen to the analyst.
Of course that's a problem for a pundit too, but to be fair to brolly IMO he was rarely too far off the mark in terms of analysis.
I actually find McConnville (and Canavan for that matter) really difficult to listen to due to their tone of voice. The bore the arse of me to be honest.

Agree with all that. Brolly when he wanted to be was thee most informative pundit out there. He did get bored and did go off on rants but on form he was the best. Most importantly Joe was right in the podcast....IT IS ENTERTAINMENT ffs. Its our amateur sport that takes us away from our daily humdrum and we want a balance of insight and craic.

Eamon  Fitzmaurice seems like he's at a wake. Awful. Wieland constantly angry and dour.

There's bound to be some boys with a bit of craic and light in their eyes out there who can give a bit of both and are articulate enough to teach and keep us entertained

I'd be happy enough to listen to a McConville or a Canavan with a Brolly alongside them. Part of the problem in RTE is the increased level of political correctness. It's all so careful and once Joanne Cantwell replcaed Michael Lyster, it seemed to me that she didn't want to work with him.

I can't listen to Joanne Canwell and I think you are right, she didn't like Brolly and didnt want to work with him.
The Sunday Game now almost seems like it is entirely scripted before the game even kicks off. It just bores the life out of you.

Louther

Quote from: APM on June 11, 2021, 10:01:55 AM

Two corkers so far:

Is it not good craic talking to people with opinions that they can articulate well and in an entertaining way, even if you disagree with them.  I laugh at people complaining about him telling lies.  Who's to say that story about Dr Hickey was untrue.  I can imagine it happening.  I don't know about the shoe story, but wouldn't rule it out in certain Tyrone bars  ;)

He's telling a story and giving a bit of colour.  He's passionate and clearly has a love of the games. You can see that he is concerned that as a cultural and sporting body, something is being lost in the drive for a more professional approach, whether its in the cautious football, the bland boring sports personalities, cynical football or some of the ambitions of the GPA. 

You mightn't like him, or his personality, but take away all of the bluster he is a really important voice for the GAA to listen to.

It's about balance and you want some personality and colour for sure but with Brolly, and it's only my take on him, you don't get the balance. You just get him.

These stories of his, they don't stand up. The Dr Hickey story, there may have been approval and a few nodding heads but round of applause and standing ovation....have you ever been in an Irish pub FFS  ;D ;D In Joe's head it happened. Numerous times his stories are far fetched. I've no doubt he believes them though, many exaggerated and before fact over time.

What odds? If we let everyone on TV tell tales we'd be in a great place alright. Leave the lying to the politicians.

I don't think he is a great voice at all for the GAA. He goes to extremes and makes it personal all too often. He has these great causes and drops them like a hot potato. Pay TV was going to ruin GAA and now he involved in it, he was going to stop Covid and hasn't mentioned it in 12 months. He a mixed up man.

As I said, if you landed into a pub a bit under weather of a Sunday morning, you'd land in beside him and get a few pints onboard while he leads the way. Come a hour later, you'd have heard enough and be off up the street to another spot.

APM

Quote from: Louther on June 11, 2021, 10:26:11 AM
Quote from: APM on June 11, 2021, 10:01:55 AM

Two corkers so far:

It's about balance and you want some personality and colour for sure but with Brolly, and it's only my take on him, you don't get the balance. You just get him.

These stories of his, they don't stand up. The Dr Hickey story, there may have been approval and a few nodding heads but round of applause and standing ovation....have you ever been in an Irish pub FFS  ;D ;D In Joe's head it happened. Numerous times his stories are far fetched. I've no doubt he believes them though, many exaggerated and before fact over time.

What odds? If we let everyone on TV tell tales we'd be in a great place alright. Leave the lying to the politicians.

I don't think he is a great voice at all for the GAA. He goes to extremes and makes it personal all too often. He has these great causes and drops them like a hot potato. Pay TV was going to ruin GAA and now he involved in it, he was going to stop Covid and hasn't mentioned it in 12 months. He a mixed up man.

As I said, if you landed into a pub a bit under weather of a Sunday morning, you'd land in beside him and get a few pints onboard while he leads the way. Come a hour later, you'd have heard enough and be off up the street to another spot.

In my head they were already standing to be fair  :)

In terms of letting everyone tell tales; the point is that it isn't politics, its football and as far as spectators are concerned, it is entertainment. 

Think of the games that you played in and some of the stuff that happened on and off the pitch.  As the years go on the stories get a bit taller and a bit more embellished.  Is that not telling tales.

And to be fair to Brolly, a lot of his message is about ensuring that the adventure and joy remain in the game and all that goes with it, punditry included.

Louther

Someone likely dropped a glass and the pub stood and roared and Joe took that as for him  ;)

Joe would have his place but not sure if that in telly week in and week out talking about what he wants to talk about rather than what's happening in the game.

If Joe was in local Hotel at event or dinner place. Would I go and listen? Very likely - his stories and free floor would go down very well.
If Joe on TV watching Galway V Roscommon and he talking about Dublin, his playing days, rules, sniping etc - where's the remote.

trailer

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 11, 2021, 09:53:57 AM
John McEntee the greatest Armagh player ever?  :o

He's not even the best McEntee ffs.

Main Street

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 11, 2021, 10:11:09 AM
Quote from: APM on June 10, 2021, 09:35:48 PM

I can't listen to Joanne Canwell and I think you are right, she didn't like Brolly and didnt want to work with him.
The Sunday Game now almost seems like it is entirely scripted before the game even kicks off. It just bores the life out of you.
Joanne is an experienced presenter, well versed in the GAA and had worked alongside Brolly for years. It was proper order for her to take Brolly to task for his outright spoofery. Brolly's reaction to this incident was ridiculous  and with more that  a hint of sexism  as in how dare she try to take me to task.
Similar to this latest event in Joe's life, how dare she cut me off? I´m taking RTE to court.
That in a nutshell is the insecurity and hypocrisy of Joe the narcissist, of course this doesn't define the person as a whole  but no matter what, this is where it all ends up everytime,  deeply insecure, incredibly sensitive to admonition and making it all about me me me.

MC

I'm never sure what to make of him - its extremes of sincerity to absolute wind-up.
He can be very astute - I was always taken aback by his early comments in the Donegal v Dublin semi-final when Dublin seemed to be on top.
However, I'd agree with Mc Conville - it was always an issue when you could see him getting bored.
Says it all when Brolly was insulted by that bored comment and than made exactly the same accusation against O' Rourke.
I thought RTE should also clear out Spillane and O' Rourke but its a very broad audience they are catering to and viewer surveys may be supporting their retention.
I was always amazed no-one clobbered Joe live on air because his antics would be extremely irritating.

The argument is always presented as extremes - it's either a sole choice of the pub analysis and stories or it's all statistics.
However, the reality is we need both - the broad brush analysis and then select statistics to illuminate that.
Personally, I want the pundit to talk about what just happened but also go in depth into why it happened - what one team did to make it happen and what the other team did to stop it happening, etc. - why it works against Team A but it wont work against Team B, etc.

The other thing I have a real dislike for is the obvious bias from some of the pundits and often rank hypocrisy - you would think Meath had been a team of nuns when you hear O' Rourke talk about fouling!

Taylor

Quote from: MC on June 11, 2021, 02:21:44 PM
I'm never sure what to make of him - its extremes of sincerity to absolute wind-up.
He can be very astute - I was always taken aback by his early comments in the Donegal v Dublin semi-final when Dublin seemed to be on top.
However, I'd agree with Mc Conville - it was always an issue when you could see him getting bored.
Says it all when Brolly was insulted by that bored comment and than made exactly the same accusation against O' Rourke.
I thought RTE should also clear out Spillane and O' Rourke but its a very broad audience they are catering to and viewer surveys may be supporting their retention.
I was always amazed no-one clobbered Joe live on air because his antics would be extremely irritating.

The argument is always presented as extremes - it's either a sole choice of the pub analysis and stories or it's all statistics.
However, the reality is we need both - the broad brush analysis and then select statistics to illuminate that.
Personally, I want the pundit to talk about what just happened but also go in depth into why it happened - what one team did to make it happen and what the other team did to stop it happening, etc. - why it works against Team A but it wont work against Team B, etc.

The other thing I have a real dislike for is the obvious bias from some of the pundits and often rank hypocrisy - you would think Meath had been a team of nuns when you hear O' Rourke talk about fouling!

Disagree.

Just because you or your team mates did something in the past in no way should stop you from calling it  out today if you are a pundit

MC

I've no issue with anything being called out - it's the manner in which they do it.

From the Bunker

What percentage of terrestrial TV viewership want in analysis? 15%?

Most don't care!

My wife the kids will watch sport. They will get emotionally involved. But they care little for analysis. Not unless there is a controversial decision or someone makes a mistake and it affect the result in a negative way to the result they wanted. And that's not analysis.

The rest is Punch and Judy.