Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile an tuaigh

One thing about Brolly boys, you can't accuse of him of being boring. He's the type of boy that runs over and pokes the bees nest with his hurl and runs while laughing at everyone's reaction around him.

Oisin a little more pc but you need to bring your A game if your going to debate Brolly. For his volcalbary skills are very admirable.

20 years with the Sunday game is not to shabby. I like people who talk off the cuff and not hindered by correctness as long as its within reason.

Great interview its nice to hear people talk without the interpretation of ads etc

Main Street

If I want to be entertained I'll listen to some stand up comedy, when it comes to GAA pundits I want to listen to different (hopefully) intelligent perceptions of the game. The game is the event,  not the clown at half time.
In that podcast Brolly has an orgasm  when telling how he wound up Colm O'Rourke at HT in a particularly boring game,  winding up Colm was where it was at for Brolly - he regards himself  as an entertainer for the gullible viewer who's supposed to  remember those stand out moments when Joe entertained us as opposed to an intelligent piece of punditry.

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2021, 08:51:04 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 07:56:50 PM
Yeah it's the personal attacks. Let's not forget that's why he is out of RTE and he was warned. He wasn't a victim from one incident here.

The political stuff should have been separate and they didn't seem to seperate it mind you but I dunno what he wants to achieve here.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/no-regrets-from-rte-chief-mcbennett-over-axing-of-controversial-pundit-brolly-39487035.html

It was primarily down to a change in the head of RTE sport and his change away from personality based pundits to more game based analysis. Has the standard of pundit on RTE improved since the new head came in, I don't think so. I watched the Ireland match last night and didn't tune into the analysis yet this used to often be the best entertainment of the night. Wondering what Dunphy and Giles would say and how Bill knew how to press their buttons.

I do get the fact that some people want stats based analysis and information on KPIs but if I want that type of information I'll sign up for a coaching seminar. It just doesn't interest me.

This looks like the real reason he was sacked

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/no-regrets-from-rte-chief-mcbennett-over-axing-of-controversial-pundit-brolly-39487035.html

"I don't think you can just cover it the same way you've always done. People want to learn more. It's simply not good enough to come out with the same scenario... the old days were good, this is awful. "

Dublin's  hegemony is a huge problem for anyone selling ads linked to.sports coverage. TV sport is about drama and the all Ireland endgame doesn't have any..
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2021, 05:07:24 AM
Yeah it's the personal attacks. Let's not forget that's why he is out of RTE and he was warned. He wasn't a victim from one incident here.

The political stuff should have been separate and they didn't seem to seperate it mind you but I dunno what he wants to achieve here.

It was primarily down to a change in the head of RTE sport and his change away from personality based pundits to more game based analysis. Has the standard of pundit on RTE improved since the new head came in, I don't think so. I watched the Ireland match last night and didn't tune into the analysis yet this used to often be the best entertainment of the night. Wondering what Dunphy and Giles would say and how Bill knew how to press their buttons.

I do get the fact that some people want stats based analysis and information on KPIs but if I want that type of information I'll sign up for a coaching seminar. It just doesn't interest me.

"I don't think you can just cover it the same way you've always done. People want to learn more. It's simply not good enough to come out with the same scenario... the old days were good, this is awful. "

Dublin's  hegemony is a huge problem for anyone selling ads linked to.sports coverage. TV sport is about drama and the all Ireland endgame doesn't have any..

Using that metric, Pat Spillane and Colm O'Rourke should be gone too then!

imtommygunn

Absolutely... RTE needs a clearout. I'm not sure Whelan much better.

APM

Quote from: yellowcard on June 10, 2021, 09:25:00 AM

"I don't think you can just cover it the same way you've always done. People want to learn more. It's simply not good enough to come out with the same scenario... the old days were good, this is awful. "

Exactly what I was thinking.  Spillane in particular should be gone on that basis.  The interesting thing about Brolly that McConville seemed to uncover was that he is capable of giving far more incisive analysis, but he chose not to do so. He worked on the basis that people tuned into to hear a yarn at half time and for a good portion of the population he was probably right. 

My view of Brolly is that once you accept him for what he is, he is quite enjoyable to listen to.  His rant on Cavanagh was really good TV and for the most part he was dead right about the cynicism.  He articulated it very well; the notion that they were celebrating but that they had achieved something rotten.  There was hyperbole, but it was worth it as the point needed to be made.  Can you imagine any other pundit saying it. 

I could live without Spillane as there was no-one else who pedaled the myth as much as him that it was better in the 70s like him.  Pure crap analysis. 

It's grand to have the detailed analysis of tactics and formulations.  However, its great to have someone to spark a debate. There's no harm in the devil's advocate.

Paddy Heaney once had a very accurate article in the Irish News about GAA attendances depending heavily on the average drinking man.  They aren't there to examine tactics and they aren't that committed.  They are there to enjoy themselves, have a day out, a few pints and roar on their team.  He talked about them being priced out the gate by rising ticket costs.  The average drinking man is probably sitting at home or in the pub, and isn't a bit worried about which team made the most unforced errors.  It's the likes of Brolly, Spillane etc that keeps these guys engaged. 

johnnycool

WRT pundits, I never bother with the lads/ladies at half time, but the pundits co comparing during the game are more important.

McStay and his americanisms does my banger in.

Hurling wise I like Duignan and Donal O'Grady.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on June 10, 2021, 11:24:38 AM
WRT pundits, I never bother with the lads/ladies at half time, but the pundits co comparing during the game are more important.

McStay and his americanisms does my banger in.

Hurling wise I like Duignan and Donal O'Grady.

Head doer

tbrick18

Quote from: APM on June 10, 2021, 11:16:19 AM

Exactly what I was thinking.  Spillane in particular should be gone on that basis.  The interesting thing about Brolly that McConville seemed to uncover was that he is capable of giving far more incisive analysis, but he chose not to do so. He worked on the basis that people tuned into to hear a yarn at half time and for a good portion of the population he was probably right. 

My view of Brolly is that once you accept him for what he is, he is quite enjoyable to listen to.  His rant on Cavanagh was really good TV and for the most part he was dead right about the cynicism.  He articulated it very well; the notion that they were celebrating but that they had achieved something rotten.  There was hyperbole, but it was worth it as the point needed to be made.  Can you imagine any other pundit saying it. 

I could live without Spillane as there was no-one else who pedaled the myth as much as him that it was better in the 70s like him.  Pure crap analysis. 

It's grand to have the detailed analysis of tactics and formulations.  However, its great to have someone to spark a debate. There's no harm in the devil's advocate.

Paddy Heaney once had a very accurate article in the Irish News about GAA attendances depending heavily on the average drinking man.  They aren't there to examine tactics and they aren't that committed.  They are there to enjoy themselves, have a day out, a few pints and roar on their team.  He talked about them being priced out the gate by rising ticket costs.  The average drinking man is probably sitting at home or in the pub, and isn't a bit worried about which team made the most unforced errors.  It's the likes of Brolly, Spillane etc that keeps these guys engaged.

Oisin made that point, but Brolly refuted it in the interview and I have to say I agree with Brolly on that.
Once you cut through the bluster and the "entertainment", Brolly gave some very good insights into the games. I think a lot of people couldn't see past Brolly the entertainer far enough to actually listen to the analyst.
Of course that's a problem for a pundit too, but to be fair to brolly IMO he was rarely too far off the mark in terms of analysis.
I actually find McConnville (and Canavan for that matter) really difficult to listen to due to their tone of voice. The bore the arse of me to be honest.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 10, 2021, 09:32:57 AM
Absolutely... RTE needs a clearout. I'm not sure Whelan much better.
They do regular pruning.
One of the things re the old guard analysts was that they were entertaining an older generation when they started 20 years ago.
Education levels amongst the viewers would have been lower. So they weren't very demanding in terms of analysis
Spillane is the best example of this. He offers nothing to younger viewers. He would be the TV sports analyst equivalent of country music.
But viewers liked him.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Education levels were lower 20 years ago ;D

BennyHarp

Brolly peddles this narrative that people who don't want to listen to his, often obviously fabricated, yarns are more interested in hearing about stats. This is where his lack of understanding in what makes a good pundit shows. I've no interest in how many miles someone runs or who has the highest percentage of forced errors but i am interested in learning why these lads are running so far, into what areas and what benefit is it to the team? What are the teams doing to cause the errors? etc i.e. the story / tactics behind the stats. I am actually also interested to know how teams set up and maybe over the years if the RTE pundits had spent a little more time explaining the defensive set ups and the different systems that teams were bringing to the game then maybe they could have helped the average viewer to understand a little more about what was going on and at least appreciate the why teams where doing it and enable them to make up their own minds about it. But the easy thing to do was just call it rubbish and go on personal rants about it. Classic deflection tactics because most likely Colm, Pat and Joe, having not played in the era of blanket defences, didn't really understand what was going on themselves.

On a side note, i saw a really good piece of analysis online, i think it was joe.ie maybe, but it was about the number of goals and points coming from cut backs and loops in recent weeks. These are things you may miss when watching on TV so rely on the pundit to point it out. My young lad has been out practising the run and cut back in the garden since i showed it to him.
That was never a square ball!!

BennyCake

I think what it really comes down to is that Brolly is just an ignorant p***k. "Houl on", putting his hands in people's faces, and then when others are speaking he was constantly interrupting and trying to cut in. Whatever you think of Spillane, Whelan etc, and their analysis, they should at least be given the time and opportunity to speak. With Brolly around, they rarely got that.

The other pundits were having to talk louder to drown out Brollys constant interrupting, and on occasion having to tell him to shut up (I think Whelan told him to be quiet once, and he was right to do so). There's nothing more annoying than someone chirping in your ear when you're trying to talk. Even more annoying if you're being paid to talk.

But again, cutting in and talking over people is another narcissistic trait. What you have to say isn't important, now listen to me because what I have to say is important

Gold

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 10, 2021, 12:05:37 PM
Quote from: APM on June 10, 2021, 11:16:19 AM

Oisin made that point, but Brolly refuted it in the interview and I have to say I agree with Brolly on that.
Once you cut through the bluster and the "entertainment", Brolly gave some very good insights into the games. I think a lot of people couldn't see past Brolly the entertainer far enough to actually listen to the analyst.
Of course that's a problem for a pundit too, but to be fair to brolly IMO he was rarely too far off the mark in terms of analysis.
I actually find McConnville (and Canavan for that matter) really difficult to listen to due to their tone of voice. The bore the arse of me to be honest.

Agree with all that. Brolly when he wanted to be was thee most informative pundit out there. He did get bored and did go off on rants but on form he was the best. Most importantly Joe was right in the podcast....IT IS ENTERTAINMENT ffs. Its our amateur sport that takes us away from our daily humdrum and we want a balance of insight and craic.

Canavan and McConville are good analysts but so drole...no life in them.

Eamon  Fitzmaurice seems like he's at a wake. Awful.

Whelan constantly angry and dour.

There's bound to be some boys with a bit of craic and light in their eyes out there who can give a bit of both and are articulate enough to teach and keep us entertained
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Rossfan

There are 15 NFL playoffs and the last round of hurley league this weekend.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM