Author Topic: Joe Brolly  (Read 888551 times)

The Trap

• View Profile
Re: Joe Brolly
« Reply #5985 on: June 09, 2021, 01:30:48 PM »
Brolly spoofed some shite in that podcast.......does anybody believe have the stuff he says?

God14

• it aint over til its over
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: June 09, 2021, 01:49:39 PM »
He sure did.
Joe was in full deflect, spoof, and tangent mode as Oisin had his number. Brolly didn't seem to expect the attack and was unprepared. Oisin illuminated what a shite pundit he was, all soundbites, bitter attacks and rants.
Loved at the end when he pointed out to Joe, that he had answered the exact same question with 2 completely different answers. Within the space of 2 minutes 🤣
Ultimate spoofer Brolly

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: June 09, 2021, 01:56:57 PM »
At the start I didnít like mcconville but now I think he is probably the best about. Brolly isnít really an analyst. Heís only there for entertainment.

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: June 09, 2021, 02:03:43 PM »
Brolly would never have expected that from McConville given how he waxes lyrically about Cross at every opportunity.

McConville said at the start when he was going into punditry he was going to tell it how it is - he certainly did there.

Expect Brolly to mark his card now and have a pop at Cross/McConville at some stage down the line.

Entertaining

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: June 09, 2021, 03:00:54 PM »
At the start I didnít like mcconville but now I think he is probably the best about. Brolly isnít really an analyst. Heís only there for entertainment.

Thereís nothing entertaining about Brolly.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: June 09, 2021, 03:51:50 PM »

Thereís nothing entertaining about Brolly.

he is a knob

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: June 09, 2021, 03:57:44 PM »
Brolly would never have expected that from McConville given how he waxes lyrically about Cross at every opportunity.

McConville said at the start when he was going into punditry he was going to tell it how it is - he certainly did there.

Expect Brolly to mark his card now and have a pop at Cross/McConville at some stage down the line.

Entertaining

I think he already started the process during the interview. By making the claim that John McEntee was Armaghs best ever footballer, I think this was probably an attempt to rile McConville up. I don't think Brolly really believes this, fine footballer though he was. It was either another attempt to grab a headline or just to draw a reaction from McConville.   

Brolly is remarkably thin skinned for a man who likes dishing it out as we seen recently with the RTE litigation case. McConvilles straight out criticism of Joe will not sit well with him, I have never heard any other pundit attempt to take him on in this manner. The fact that McConville is now getting a lot of work off RTE just as Brolly was disposed of, will only add salt into the wounds. This could well provide copy for another couple of Sunday columns in the months ahead though.

In saying all that I don't take Brolly seriously at all and that is why I find him entertaining and I actually agree with what he is saying in this instance. I can make up my own mind on what I am watching so I don't need the guidance of these 'expert' pundits/coaches on TV and radio who take themselves much too seriously. Yes, there are certain things that you can see whilst present at a match that you can't from your armchair but by and large the standard of analyst on RTE is not great. Entertainers they certainly aren't, a lot of them are so wooden that the analysis is like the ad breaks where you end up taking an extended toilet break. Far too much political correctness, cliches and statistics. Ironically Sky have gone slightly in the other direction recently particularly when it comes to soccer and it is much for the better as I actually look forward to some of the analysis now more than the actual matches.         

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: June 09, 2021, 04:01:36 PM »
Tbh sometimes you have to think that Brolly's mental health isn't the best and I don't mean that as a slight on him - it's a genuine observation. There is just so much with him which just makes you wonder.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: June 09, 2021, 04:15:33 PM »
Tbh sometimes you have to think that Brolly's mental health isn't the best and I don't mean that as a slight on him - it's a genuine observation. There is just so much with him which just makes you wonder.

I think you are correct, and I sort of feel bad now for calling him a knob, but id say hes definitely not well

rodney trotter

• View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: June 09, 2021, 04:18:22 PM »
He said before stuff from his childhood haunted him. The British Army came and wrecked the house they were living and took his father away, kept in Long kesh for 3 years.

shawshank

• View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: June 09, 2021, 04:41:15 PM »
I despair for some of you, reading the stuff some of you write. You take yourselves all to seriously where as Brolly doesnít take himself seriously at all. Heís genuine in that itís entertainment. Brolly leads a life of listening to and defending in the criminal courts. Can you imagine the people he has met, spent time with and defended. Thatís his day to day stuff. Things you canít comprehend. Context is everything in life. For Brolly this is escapism. Itís entertainment. Itís not the real world

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: June 09, 2021, 04:56:19 PM »
I despair for some of you, reading the stuff some of you write. You take yourselves all to seriously where as Brolly doesnít take himself seriously at all. Heís genuine in that itís entertainment. Brolly leads a life of listening to and defending in the criminal courts. Can you imagine the people he has met, spent time with and defended. Thatís his day to day stuff. Things you canít comprehend. Context is everything in life. For Brolly this is escapism. Itís entertainment. Itís not the real world

I think there is some truth in that. For Brolly he sees the GAA as his entertainment and release from the day to day stuff. For many of the other pundits the GAA and punditry is at least a large part of their career and this comes across in the punditry where they see it as more of an occupation.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: June 09, 2021, 04:59:07 PM »
I think he already started the process during the interview. By making the claim that John McEntee was Armaghs best ever footballer, I think this was probably an attempt to rile McConville up. I don't think Brolly really believes this, fine footballer though he was. It was either another attempt to grab a headline or just to draw a reaction from McConville.   

McEnteeís were both good players, but they wouldnít be spoken of in terms of Armaghís greatest. Oisin would be up there. Maybe not as skilful as McDonnell, or have the drive/leadership of McGeeney/McGrane etc, but he stood up on the big occasions when it mattered. Brolly knows McConville isnít going to say he was the greatest Armagh player. Very petty from Brolly. Not recognising the contribution Oisin made over the years.

Brolly is remarkably thin skinned for a man who likes dishing it out as we seen recently with the RTE litigation case. McConvilles straight out criticism of Joe will not sit well with him, I have never heard any other pundit attempt to take him on in this manner. The fact that McConville is now getting a lot of work off RTE just as Brolly was disposed of, will only add salt into the wounds. This could well provide copy for another couple of Sunday columns in the months ahead though.

Classic narcissistic trait - fragile self-esteem. Puts others down to make himself feel more superior.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 05:01:15 PM by BennyCake »

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: June 09, 2021, 05:49:12 PM »

But why belittle people

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: June 09, 2021, 07:56:50 PM »
Yeah it's the personal attacks. Let's not forget that's why he is out of RTE and he was warned. He wasn't a victim from one incident here.

The political stuff should have been separate and they didn't seem to seperate it mind you but I dunno what he wants to achieve here.