Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 10:44:54 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 10:29:54 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 10:12:40 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 09:32:10 AM
The primary difference between male and female TV presenters is that female TV presenters have to be good looking.
That's hardly her fault.
She has a competitive sports background, is Irish, works for Sky and seems like an intelligent woman.
Brolly has let himself down badly with that comment.

Why? Is that comment itself not sexist?

That's the reality, not my opinion.

Oh I know it's the reality, do you think it's right though that the eye candy gets the role rather than the most competent woman?

Who would the most competent Irish female sports presenter be then?
That isn't already working for RTE, BBC or TV3, obviously.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: cockahoop on May 21, 2014, 10:49:28 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 21, 2014, 10:37:53 AM
Quote from: cockahoop on May 21, 2014, 10:32:42 AM
So the fact that SKY  are using a good looking blonde Irish girl as there anchor is just a coincidence?? i think not,Joe is 100% right,she was hardly picked for her indepth knowledge of GAA!!Dont be so bloody niave and get over your selfrightous bullshit

No, Peter Canavan and James O'Connor are there for that. She is an experienced presenter with all the credentials to do the job - Brolly knows exactly what he's doing with his cheap dig, trying to discredit the sky coverage before it even starts. The same way he was sniggering about how Jim White etc were pronouncing some of the counties. He's a little bully boy who needs his little cheerleaders like yourself to keep his own profile. If you are suggesting that a woman is incapable of presenting a GAA show then just come out and say it.

talk about twisting things so suit yourself,because i agreed with brolly on this i am one of his little cheer leaders?grow up ffs,did i say that are incapable of presenting?nope,i said i dont think its a coincidence that they picked a good looking irish girl which by the way is decent at what she does,so actually its you thats comes across as a little bully boy

So you "100%" agree that Rachel Wyse only got the job because she was a "Baywatch Babe" and suggest that she hardly got the job for her "indepth knowledge of GAA". So what do you mean by these statements? Do you know much about her background as a sports person and a presenter? Maybe its a coincidence that she got the job because she has the ability, experience and credentials to do it?

By telling everyone that Joe is correct and we should not be so "bloody niave and self righteous" i would suggest that this is cheer leading his position. Then again Joe is so much more intelligent that the rest of us and I should agree with him. Also he does loads for charity too!
That was never a square ball!!

cockahoop

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 21, 2014, 11:09:07 AM
So the fact that SKY  are using a good looking blonde Irish girl as there anchor is just a coincidence?? i think not,Joe is 100% right,she was hardly picked for her indepth knowledge of GAA!!Dont be so bloody niave and get over your selfrightous bullshit

No, Peter Canavan and James O'Connor are there for that. She is an experienced presenter with all the credentials to do the job - Brolly knows exactly what he's doing with his cheap dig, trying to discredit the sky coverage before it even starts. The same way he was sniggering about how Jim White etc were pronouncing some of the counties. He's a little bully boy who needs his little cheerleaders like yourself to keep his own profile. If you are suggesting that a woman is incapable of presenting a GAA show then just come out and say it.

talk about twisting things so suit yourself,because i agreed with brolly on this i am one of his little cheer leaders?grow up ffs,did i say that are incapable of presenting?nope,i said i dont think its a coincidence that they picked a good looking irish girl which by the way is decent at what she does,so actually its you thats comes across as a little bully boy

So you "100%" agree that Rachel Wyse only got the job because she was a "Baywatch Babe" and suggest that she hardly got the job for her "indepth knowledge of GAA". So what do you mean by these statements? Do you know much about her background as a sports person and a presenter? Maybe its a coincidence that she got the job because she has the ability, experience and credentials to do it?

By telling everyone that Joe is correct and we should not be so "bloody niave and self righteous" i would suggest that this is cheer leading his position. Then again Joe is so much more intelligent that the rest of us and I should agree with him. Also he does loads for charity too!

You know what your 100% right she got the job on merity and nothing to do how she looks,how dare i have a different opinion than yourself,and your comment at the end says it all really.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Down Follower on May 21, 2014, 11:03:05 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 10:56:03 AM
Also, just to say, Brolly is off the mark with the 'entrenched beautiful anchor' formula. Women presenters are not the norm in the Premier League, the Rugby or Rugby League. The beautiful anchor, tends to be a sky sports news, or maybe a highlights show.

Jeez man would you calm down.  You are taking the new PC age a bit too seriously. Brolly is funny, articulate, loves the game, highlights the greatness of our games, and exposes the frailties - he also loves to take the p*** and there is no real harm in that.

I think Joe Brolly is a good man in private, and his work with charity is very admirable. Also, people who know me know I'm far from some bean eating, tree hugging, liberal PC acolyte. I am just tired of Joe's schtick when it comes to the GAA. I don't think he's very funny in that arena any more, and while he is articulate, I don't believe he demonstrates any great love for the game in his TV role. And he certainly, undeniably, takes far greater pleasure in 'exposing the frailties' than 'highlighting the greatness'. In short Joe, the GAA pundit, is a deliberately contrarian character who deliberately (in my view) sensationalises for effect and denigrates the game and its players in order to maximise his own profile and earnings potential.

I'm sure I'd love to have a pint with Joe, and I suspect he'd agree with everything I've said if he was being candid.

In this instance, and in the Sean Cavanagh and Paul Grimley incidents, I believe he has overstepped the mark. His motivation for the latter two were purely what I've said above, and the motivation for the first is to protect his vehicle for doing the latter.

In my opinion of course :)

BennyHarp

Quote from: cockahoop on May 21, 2014, 11:12:08 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 21, 2014, 11:09:07 AM

You know what your 100% right,how dare i have a different opinion than yourself,and your comment at the end says it all really.

Agreed. I'm not bothered that you have a different opinion than me - but you said people who disagree with you were naive and self righteous.

DuffleKing

Sure that's just nonsense - Were Michael Lyster, matt Cooper, Des etc selected for their indepth GAA knowledge?

Brolly back tracked and made his "point" after he was pulled on the original sexist comment

AZOffaly

In fairness to him, he's fairly quick to realise when he has gone a bit too far, and he is good at backtracking a bit without admitting he is wrong. I suppose it's the adversarial profession he is in. Give ground without appearing to give ground.

cockahoop

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 21, 2014, 11:18:37 AM

Sure that's just nonsense - Were Michael Lyster, matt Cooper, Des etc selected for their indepth GAA knowledge?

Brolly back tracked and made his "point" after he was pulled on the original sexist comment

exactly what i am saying like the "men" you mentioned she was not picked because of her knowledge,look i know as well as the rest of you brolly is OTT on some of his comments but i agree in the meaning of his comment,SKY are ceratinly very aware what works and i believe there is no coincidence in why they picked this girl but in saying that she is a good presenter and fits what sky are looking for perfectly.
By the way unlike Brolly i think sky doing GAA is a good thing.

Jinxy

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 21, 2014, 11:18:37 AM

Exactly.
Was Bill O'Herlihy picked for his in-depth soccer knowledge?
The presenter presents, the analyst analyses.

PAULD123

He might have meant it as an insult but calling her a baywatch babe isn't the worst thing she will be called. I'll bet a lot of girls would be openly offended at the sexist comment but secretly a little chuffed.

Gabriel_Hurl

Ah sure isn't Joe great craic altogether? ::)

haranguerer

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/sky-sports-make-yet-another-blunder/

Its this sort of sh**e that annoys me. RTE and every other broadcaster have made blunders for years (a quick google search reveals that on RTE radio [a more formal and should be trustworthy medium than twitter], they gave out two wrong hurling results a few weeks ago), but not a word. I resent the targetting of Sky, and of course Brolly is stuck in the middle of it.

He may be self-obsessed, but he is bright, articulate, and can be funny, I'd find it a lot easier to listen to his impassioned speeches though if the hyperbole better hid the fact that his convictions change on a weekly basis. The realisation of this alone should be enough for us not to take him at all seriously.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 21, 2014, 11:35:43 AM
Ah sure isn't Joe great craic altogether? ::)

Don Cherry has said worse ;)

BennyHarp

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 21, 2014, 11:29:48 AM
He might have meant it as an insult but calling her a baywatch babe isn't the worst thing she will be called. I'll bet a lot of girls would be openly offended at the sexist comment but secretly a little chuffed.

They love it as well when you look at their t*ts when you are talking to them. They get annoyed but secretly they love it.  ::)

Jinxy

Quote from: haranguerer on May 21, 2014, 11:36:18 AM
http://www.livegaelic.com/news/sky-sports-make-yet-another-blunder/

Its this sort of sh**e that annoys me. RTE and every other broadcaster have made blunders for years (a quick google search reveals that on RTE radio [a more formal and should be trustworthy medium than twitter], they gave out two wrong hurling results a few weeks ago), but not a word. I resent the targetting of Sky, and of course Brolly is stuck in the middle of it.

He may be self-obsessed, but he is bright, articulate, and can be funny, I'd find it a lot easier to listen to his impassioned speeches though if the hyperbole better hid the fact that his convictions change on a weekly basis. The realisation of this alone should be enough for us not to take him at all seriously.

If the sky gang repeatedly referred to 'Westmeath' as 'Meath', they would be slaughtered.