Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

Mano

Quote from: stephenite on October 16, 2007, 12:19:21 PM
Short memory there Mano - in 2004 Ballina went up to Sligo to take on Curry in the Connacht Club Championship and ended up on the wrong end of an almighty beating - 10 points in the end I think it was.

I remember that but Mayo always have a superiority complex when it comes to playing Sligo teams

guy crouchback

This |Ballina team are still haunted by that loss to Curry. They had high hopes that year and know that complacency cost them that day. Since the County Final i have heard the curry game mentioned a lot. I wonder where this game will be played? I know Ballina have a home draw for the next game if they get that far but not sure about this one.

stephenite

Quote from: Mano on October 16, 2007, 01:32:52 PM
Quote from: stephenite on October 16, 2007, 12:19:21 PM
Short memory there Mano - in 2004 Ballina went up to Sligo to take on Curry in the Connacht Club Championship and ended up on the wrong end of an almighty beating - 10 points in the end I think it was.

I remember that but Mayo always have a superiority complex when it comes to playing Sligo teams

That sounds like an inferiority complex ;)

magpie seanie

QuoteThat sounds like an inferiority complex

No such thing in Tourlestrane nor should there be.

stephenite

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 17, 2007, 09:20:41 AM
QuoteThat sounds like an inferiority complex

No such thing in Tourlestrane nor should there be.

Completley agree - thus the ;)

SLIGONIAN

Thanks Owenmoresider re my quote predicting the rise of my club st molaise gaels this yr. Unfortunetly as the yr went on my optimism diminished seeing the new manager in action. Ah well I hope the same doesnt happen with my beloved Sligo. I wont beat myself up to much at least I speak from the heart and dont sit on the fence. Making predications always leaves you open to ridicule. We have the best team on paper but thet counts for nothing and the players did show commitment to cause so thus my optimism. We are young and talented just need right manager. Im not pyschic and Im human.

Toulestrane really impressed me this yr and will defintly give ballina a run for there money. Although having seen ballina in all ireland club final. It was to this day best club game I was ever at 2-7 2-8 they beat portlaoise. Best of luck toulestrane.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Teeling Gael

I read in the Sligo Champion this week that RTE's only Outside broadcast unit for the all stars tonight is in Gurteen. It certainly increased my optimism for Ross Donavans chance of an all Star. Fingers crossed !!

magpie seanie

According to Buckass that aint gonna happen TG.

stephenite

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 19, 2007, 12:19:16 PM
According to Buckass that aint gonna happen TG.

Shame - his performance in the Connacht final alone was awesome. Was hoping he'd have picked up a gong in recognition of what Sligo acheived

magpie seanie

Our lads took a little bit of consolation from the season and snapped our run of losing finals in consecutive weekends (minor c'ship and league) in taking the league 1B title for the second time in 3 seasons. We actually played really well and man of the match was probably minor Keelan Cawley who scored 1-1 from wing back. Fair play to him after the disappointment of the previous couple of weeks. We had a fairly full outfit and dominated around the middle throughout. Tubber were missing Brian Curran and a couple of others.

Curry beat Tourlestrane who fielded full strength I believe to win Div 1A. We now meet them in the Super League final.

U-20 competitions starts next weekend. I see from the website that the games are set for neutral venues which is good to see except when the neutral venue for our lads v. Molaise Gaels is Dromard!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 22, 2007, 12:20:43 PM
U-20 competitions starts next weekend. I see from the website that the games are set for neutral venues which is good to see except when the neutral venue for our lads v. Molaise Gaels is Dromard!
Indeed well done on another 1B title, and Curry winning 1A. Will they turn up for the Super League final this year? In fairness it's a pointless exercise, the two leagues aren't comparable.

As regards venues, our crew have to travel through Easkey to play Easkey - in Enniscrone. Marvellous. Yer one takes some beating all the same!

And St. John's were relegated to 2A after Farnan's won at the weekend.

Hurling final on Saturday - Calry v Tubber, now that the usual suspects were taken care of. Calry to win I assume? Tubber can't keep going forever. Winners play Pearse's or Athleague on the BH Monday, they replay at the weekend, with the winners up against James Stephens (Ballina) the following weekend. The prize for the winners is to play Portumna, which resembles more of a punishment, going on last Sunday!

magpie seanie

Agree that the Super League final is a pointless exercise. Should be done away with really.

Owenmoresider

Sligo's League fixtures for 2008:

Date  Time  Team   Team  Venue  Referee 
02-02-08  7:00 PM  Down  V  Sligo   AN other 

17-02-08  2:30 PM  Sligo  V  Wexford   AN other 

02-03-08  2:30 PM  Sligo  V  Limerick   AN other 

16-03-08  2:30 PM  Leitrim  V  Sligo   AN other 

30-03-08  2:30 PM  Sligo  V  Fermanagh   AN other 

13-04-08  2:30 PM  Longford  V  Sligo   AN other 

The website forgot Louth, which is on the 6th April and is an away fixture.

Down and Louth are nasty trips to make, won't be easy to get anything there. At least it's Newry and not Newcastle that it'll be played in. Could win the latter four quite possibly, although there's nothing overwhelming about any team in the division, though I'd expect Louth to top the pile at any rate. As long as Longford isn't a relegation decider it'll be OK.

Owenmoresider

Results

U-20 A Championship

Shamrock Gaels  V Tubbercurry (walkover for Tubbercurry)

Tourlestrane V Calry/St Josephs (walkover for Tourlestrane)

Coolera/Strandhill V St Molaise Gaels – due to be played 29th Oct at 2pm

U-20 B Championship

Easkey                       3-9           Owenmore Gaels                   1-9

Geevagh                     2-4           St Patricks                           2-10

St Farnans V Bunninadden (walkover for Bunninnadden)

Two other results - St. Molaise Gaels beat Coolera 2-10 to 0-3 in the A competition, while Calry regained the hurling title after extra-time. A fairly high-scoring affair.

A strange collection of results. Three walkovers is strange and worrying. None of the likely winners in the B won, our result was a disaster, if not a disgrace. Easkey are no power at under-age, but perhaps they cared something about the game. In any case this shouldn't be played at this time of the year, few teams (not least ours) care at this stage of the year and the idea that it will make any difference to the selection of the U21 panel is laughable, as if anyone would have been out watching our game yesterday (and of course, when there's no manager it's hard to do that anyway!). Back to Spring and Under-21 it should be.

The fixtures for next weekend, and the choice of venues are getting more incredulous by the week:

U-20 B Championship Semi-finals

Teams:        St Michaels V St Patricks

Date:          Sun 04-Nov-07

Venue:        Grange

Time:          2:30 PM

Referee:      Seán Rooney

Teams:        Bunninadden V Easkey

Venue:        Tourlestrane

Referee:      Michael Harte

U-20 A Championship Quarter-finals

Teams:        Eastern Harps V St Molaise Gaels

Venue:        Bunninnadden

Referee:      John Griffin

Teams:        St Marys V Tubbercurry

Venue:        Curry

Referee:      TJ Keavney

Teams:        Curry V St Johns

Venue:        Tubbercurry

Referee:      Derek Gormley

magpie seanie

We ended up only having the bare 15 and were missing 4 or 5 lads who would have made a huge difference. Only a point in it at half time but we faded badly thereafter. Molaise are ok but will not win it out. Deserved their win yesterday and the game should stand them in good stead for next weekend.

The interest factor is pretty low though.