"GAA investigates brawl and alleged sectarian abuse during minor match"

Started by GweylTah, October 19, 2008, 03:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GweylTah

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1017/1224108325305.html

Disappointing that this sort of crap still seems to be happening, but good to see it doesn't look like it's being swept under the carpet so far anyway.  Hopefully we'll hear an outcome and not some sort of Darren Graham-esque white-wash.

J70

Give the f**kers a good ban if they're found guilty. There should be no tolerance of this kind of crap in any sport.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

And from the Shinty website - (which obviously went un noticed by the Irish Times):-

10/18/2008
Irish visit East Dunbartonshire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Normally top class rugby is the sport of choice at Burnbrae but, thanks to the generosity of West of Scotland Rugby Club, it was the sounds of the Gaelteachd that resonated around the main pitch last Thursday when local primary schools in East Dunbartonshire hosted a group of cross community children from four primary schools in Belfast culminating in a game of shinty/hurling.

Meadowburn Primary, Bishopbriggs and St Josephs Primary, Milngavie with support from children of Craigdhu Primary, Milngavie participated in this highly significant visit, intended to foster good relationships, through sport, amongst young people in the city of Belfast. Sixteen children travelled across the Irish Sea led by PJ O'Grady, Rector of St Patricks College and, after spending the morning at the Science Centre in Glasgow, the group made their way to Burnbrae for the historic match.
The East Dunbartonshire schools fielded a select team from the three schools. Meadowburn Primary School have a very strong shinty section whilst the children from St Josephs and Craigdhu play with local club Milngavie & Bearsden Junior Shinty Club at Auchenhowie.

Despite a strong fight back in the second half from the Irish children it was the local team who triumphed 6-4. The trophy was presented to the victors by Camanachd Association President, Duncan Cameron. Duncan was delighted be involved adding that it was a fantastic day for both sports with the behaviour and sportsmanship of the children being of the highest order, a view echoed by local MP Jo Swinson. Since a recent visit to Auchenhowie and an introduction to shinty, Jo has been very active in supporting the campaign to identify a pitch in the district to support senior shinty. Various local people with an interest in shinty are also working with East Dunbartonshire Council to identify such a facility.

In his concluding comments, PJ O'Grady stressed the huge significance of the visit to East Dunbartonshire in the campaign to eradicate sectarianism in Belfast. Cross community children coming together to play Gaelic sports such as hurling are seen as an important part of the campaign.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

Quote from: Rossfan on October 19, 2008, 06:48:21 PM
And from the Shinty website - (which obviously went un noticed by the Irish Times):-
Which is quite plausable - it's not a site i'd regularly check. I'd expect them to pick up on a local story.

And regardless of the 'nice' stories, it's equally important (if not moreso) to expose the negatives, rather than brush them under the carpet.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 19, 2008, 07:17:30 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 19, 2008, 06:48:21 PM
Which is quite plausable - it's not a site i'd regularly check. I'd expect them to pick up on a local story.

And regardless of the 'nice' stories, it's equally important (if not moreso) to expose the negatives, rather than brush them under the carpet.
Agreed. Thankfully these incidents are rare but if we always revert back to "what about Peter Withnell, what about Jack Boothman" these incidents will continue until it becomes clear that they are not acceptable in any club in the land.

Derry have shown that they're prepared to throw the book at clubs and individuals who step out of line so it's time everyone else stepped up to the mark.

thejuice

thats ridiculous, hope the GAA give the perpetrators a hefty ban. I really wonder at the mentality of some people at GAA matches. Some of the people that go to our games you'd really wish they'd shut up or just stay of the sidelines. Its even worse at underage. Perhaps a sidelne ban for all parents would be in order.

These mass brawls are worst thing about the GAA at the minute, as rare as they are, they are not rare enough.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Sectarianism at a game in Offaly? I've heard it all now. What did they shout at him? 'Go away you 'high bank' bastard?'

Idiots.

muppet

High level investigations by the Gaa don't exactly inspire me.

This should be simple. There is an allegation in that article that could be considered 'incitement to hated' if proven. That is against the law. Any investigation should be undertaken by the law. If there is a case to be heard charges should be pressed by the Gaa. If any individual is found guilty he should be dealt with by the Gaa after the law sentences him/her.

When things get serious he will change his tune, probably to something like 'someone else must have used my mouth for me when I wasn't watching, my life is ruined now.'

By the way supporter abuse is not confined to sectarianism. I know playing Knockmore underage taking a sideline ball was like going into downtown Tehran with an American flag. Verbal abuse was the least of your worries.

The fact that it is widespread doesn't make it right though.

MWWSI 2017