Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

In any walk of life you'll get good workers and bad ones, but teaching is anything but easy and if you are rubbish at it, you'll get called out, the ETI inspection is the only real outside body that hold the school, department and ultimately the teacher to account.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 12, 2022, 11:53:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2022, 11:49:39 PM
In any walk of life you'll get good workers and bad ones, but teaching is anything but easy and if you are rubbish at it, you'll get called out, the ETI inspection is the only real outside body that hold the school, department and ultimately the teacher to account.
ETI - the ultimate bluffer.

lol I didn't say it was perfect, having gone through a few of them over the years it got easier to 'bluff' once you knew what they were looking for..

Until they come up with something else what can you do?

No one is in teaching to 'take it easy' it's not a job and I'd recommend to anyone nor would my wife recommend it either and she's been teaching 27 years
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jim Bob

Teachers are inspected every day of the week by parents.

Turf

Quote from: Itchy on August 12, 2022, 03:26:59 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 12, 2022, 03:13:55 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 12, 2022, 02:39:44 PM
Teachers are well underpaid when you consider the money handed out in sectors like construction, finance, IT etc.

Carers are underpaid when you consider the hours and holidays of Teachers.

I know plenty of lads in construction. They are now in their 50's and wear and tear is kicking in. Most are taking on less, as the body is not as strong or durable as it used to be. Construction money is well earned and earned at the cost to the body.

I have came across some of the finest human beings that are teachers. Great role models, enthusiastic social beings and bright. Of course there have been ones who have not reached these criteria, same with any other walks of life.

They are an important fabric of society and it's important they are taken care of financially.

I was not happy with our own National School during Covid, they took the easiest route for themselves. But that's human nature, there was no manual or rule book telling them to do otherwise. Would i have done the same? Probably yes! We got over it but there are the scars.

There were plenty other groups playing the Covid Card about doing work and getting full pay and I'm sure they'll get or have got a pay rise since without any commotion (mainly because they are not in the public eye).

They took the easiest route I would argue as there is zero accountability, absolutely zero, for the standard of education given to children. You can be brilliant or you can be dire and it makes no difference. Its a huge issue but do teachers care enough about the standards out there to actually do something about it?
I feel sorry for the last couple of years of Junior Cert and especially Leaving Cert students. They were let down badly by teachers.

marty34

Quote from: Turf on August 13, 2022, 12:40:00 PM
Teachers are well underpaid when you consider the money handed out in sectors like construction, finance, IT etc.

I know plenty of lads in construction. They are now in their 50's and wear and tear is kicking in. Most are taking on less, as the body is not as strong or durable as it used to be. Construction money is well earned and earned at the cost to the body.

I have came across some of the finest human beings that are teachers. Great role models, enthusiastic social beings and bright. Of course there have been ones who have not reached these criteria, same with any other walks of life.

They are an important fabric of society and it's important they are taken care of financially.

I was not happy with our own National School during Covid, they took the easiest route for themselves. But that's human nature, there was no manual or rule book telling them to do otherwise. Would i have done the same? Probably yes! We got over it but there are the scars.

There were plenty other groups playing the Covid Card about doing work and getting full pay and I'm sure they'll get or have got a pay rise since without any commotion (mainly because they are not in the public eye).

They took the easiest route I would argue as there is zero accountability, absolutely zero, for the standard of education given to children. You can be brilliant or you can be dire and it makes no difference. Its a huge issue but do teachers care enough about the standards out there to actually do something about it?
I feel sorry for the last couple of years of Junior Cert and especially Leaving Cert students. They were let down badly by teachers.

But did they not get handy grades?...I'd say way above the norm.

I wouldn't be overly worried for them but I'd definately be worried for the pupils (a few years younger) over the next few years.  The pupils who'll be the ones in sitting proper exams again etc. and their marks will then be altered because of the previous pupils' 'higher grades'.

Milltown Row2

Yeah let down by teachers but grades are higher than before!! Pure plonker post Turf ;D

Turf

Quote from: marty34 on August 13, 2022, 01:30:18 PM
Quote from: Turf on August 13, 2022, 12:40:00 PM

But did they not get handy grades?...I'd say way above the norm.

I wouldn't be overly worried for them but I'd definately be worried for the pupils (a few years younger) over the next few years.  The pupils who'll be the ones in sitting proper exams again etc. and their marks will then be altered because of the previous pupils' 'higher grades'.
That's a fair point actually 👍

Farrandeelin

Itchy, Bunker, laoislad - define a useless teacher.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 14, 2022, 09:47:28 AM
Itchy, Bunker, laoislad - define a useless teacher.

Looks like someone who taught them

Itchy

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 13, 2022, 09:59:29 AM

What a stupid comment that is. Do parents then decide the salary increase of the teacher, do parent give the teacher formal coaching conversations or disciplinary if required? Sure school principals cannot even address poor performance levels.

Milltown, you ask for a definition of a poor teacher. It's the same as a poor welder, a poor mechanic etc. Disinterested , no pride in their work, lack of attention to detail, poor communication skills, poor organisational skills. Bottom line = poor results. The difference is the poor welder has repercussions.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on August 14, 2022, 12:31:03 PM

What a stupid comment that is. Do parents then decide the salary increase of the teacher, do parent give the teacher formal coaching conversations or disciplinary if required? Sure school principals cannot even address poor performance levels.

Milltown, you ask for a definition of a poor teacher. It's the same as a poor welder, a poor mechanic etc. Disinterested , no pride in their work, lack of attention to detail, poor communication skills, poor organisational skills. Bottom line = poor results. The difference is the poor welder has repercussions.

Do they though? The poor welder takes up a job welding somewhere else...

I'm not sure what repercussions you are looking? Flogging?  Sack them and then what? Do we have plenty of spare teachers out there?

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2022, 12:42:58 PM
I'm not sure what repercussions you are looking? Flogging?  Sack them and then what? Do we have plenty of spare teachers out there?

10,000 lines "I must do better".
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Yes. It was reported a few years ago that we are training an excess of teachers.

ONeill

Nothing worse than a disinterested welder.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 14, 2022, 02:46:46 PM

Yes. It was reported a few years ago that we are training an excess of teachers.

What's the drop off rate? As in how many train up and eventually leave?

You'll have to have excess to cover for sick, retirement, leavers, and so on.

In any job you'll only lose it for gross misconduct.. so define gross misconduct in teaching?

My sister in law blamed the school for her kids not doing well always giving off about them, my daughters went to the same school and it was brilliant, her two kids unfortunately didn't want to be there or do any work, but it was the schools fault!!

I get the feeling disgruntled parents always believe wee Johnny was a good kid