Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

sammymaguire

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on February 20, 2011, 05:56:37 PM
After lasts nights performance or lack off, it might be time to resurrect this thread.

give the man a chance  ::)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ExiledGael

McGrath
Bogue
Owens
Jones
Quigley
Mulrone
McCusker
Sherry
Brady
Little
Cassidy
P McGrath
P Ward
T Corrigan
T O'Flanagan
Not going to start slagging individuals but McGrath in nets was about the only one to improve his reputation. The reaction will be interesting next Sunday against Wicklow.

FermPundit

From reading this thread and other forums I don't think I have ever seen so much criticism of the county team. Sometimes there are differing opinions from people from different clubs but this weekend was unique. There was universal agreement that Saturday night's performance was a complete and utter shambles. We have hit rock bottom and I just hope we can't sink much further. I think we need to ask the following questions:

1. Is John O'Neill still the right man for the job? The lack of tactics and the inability to make changes early on was worrying
2. What to do with the Tempo boys. This situation needs to be addressed quickly. We need everyone on board if things are to improve.
3. Should Seamus Quigley be brought back into the squad? We need a presence in the forward line, a target man for our smaller fowards. If not Quigley then what has happened to Ryan Carson? Was he even asked out this year or has he just withdrawn his services?
4. Do we need to get some of the older players back? Shane Goan, Shane McDermott and Ryan McCluskey spring to mind
5. Maybe we just need to accept that we are now a Division 4 side and we should limit our expectations. I don't think we are but the question still needs to be asked.
6. There seemed to be a real lack of effort from everyone on Saturday night. There was no passion or pride in the jersey. Any thoughts on why this was the case?

Discuss.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

Quote from: FermPundit on February 21, 2011, 07:14:06 PM
From reading this thread and other forums I don't think I have ever seen so much criticism of the county team. Sometimes there are differing opinions from people from different clubs but this weekend was unique. There was universal agreement that Saturday night's performance was a complete and utter shambles. We have hit rock bottom and I just hope we can't sink much further. I think we need to ask the following questions:

1. Is John O'Neill still the right man for the job? The lack of tactics and the inability to make changes early on was worrying
2. What to do with the Tempo boys. This situation needs to be addressed quickly. We need everyone on board if things are to improve.
3. Should Seamus Quigley be brought back into the squad? We need a presence in the forward line, a target man for our smaller fowards. If not Quigley then what has happened to Ryan Carson? Was he even asked out this year or has he just withdrawn his services?
4. Do we need to get some of the older players back? Shane Goan, Shane McDermott and Ryan McCluskey spring to mind
5. Maybe we just need to accept that we are now a Division 4 side and we should limit our expectations. I don't think we are but the question still needs to be asked.
6. There seemed to be a real lack of effort from everyone on Saturday night. There was no passion or pride in the jersey. Any thoughts on why this was the case?

Discuss.

1. O'Neill deserves time and will get it, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear and all that.
2. Know nothing of this dispute but it needs sorted and the county board should take a lead in sorting it out.
3. Yes he should be in the squad but just how much of his messing do/can you tolerate. If he plays, given his application to training etc, others have threatened to walk, maybe we should let them.
Blobby cannot commit to inter-county football and training, doesn't have the time and that's been made clear to O'Neill.
4. Yes we need a few experienced heads back, but a number have been asked repeatedly and won't. Division Four and trips to Carlow and Carrick on Shannon not so appealing. Maybe that will change in a few months when Clucker's soccer season ends and Eamon and Marty's injuries clear up but who knows.
5. No doubt we've gone downhill badly but on paper I think we're a division three side, maybe division two if we had everyone out and dedicated. That's not going to happen though.
6. Only the players can answer this but Sunday should tell a lot about the squad and morale.

Fermanaghandsam

I have held off for a few days now, I was trying to digest that display and finally I am able to post on it. First responding to the questions asked

Discuss.

1) I personally don't think he is the man for the job, but I suppose he does deserve more time.
2) I wouldn't go begging the Tempo men back, it should be an honour to play for your county, these men should not need to be chased. Anyhow, would they improve the team that much, only Kelly and young Keenan would get on. But it would be great to have all players available.
3) By all accounts Seamus Q wants to play this year but was dropped. I would do everything possible to get him back. Exiled Gael is right about Blobby I believe.
4) The older players would help, but they are all defenders which we are prob OK with what we have. However I would have Frog back for midfield.
5) We should be better than div4, we were in an Ulster final only a few years ago, no way should we be in our current state.
6) I don't know if there was a lack of effect, I think it was a lack of ability and tactics.

Now onto my own views on the match. I actually think our keeper and full back line were OK, however from here forward was awful. The half back line were all over the place, and we badly need a centre half back that is bigger and that holds the space. However I do feel a bit for the half back line, because when they did win the ball, there was noone in the forwards out in front to hit. James Sherry was poor, but he has no help, Hughie is a defender. And with regards the forwards, well were could you start. Awful awful awful, we need more big players to say the least. The lads lack height, but they should be at least out infront an odd time.

And the one thing that really annoyed me was the amount of times Fermanagh men received the ball standing still, this is basics!! At this level, if you receive the ball standing still, you will get bottled up and lose it, like we did endless times on Saturday.

And finally did we have any tactics on Saturday, and when things were going bad, we made like for like changes, and didnt make any tactical changes until it was way to late. Our management seemed to just sit in the dugout and take it.

My team (assuming the Tempo men and SQ are not available) would be

McGrath

Bogue
Owens
Jones
McElroy
Brady
Sherry

J Sherry
R Jones/Brian Og Maguire

Little
R Jones/Brian Og
Fla
Corrigan
Cecil
C O'Brien

At least this team has a strong defence, we are still weak at midfield, but at least giving some of the young guys a chance might develop them.

The forwards are still poor, but we don't really have the men. I would do my very best to get SQ back straight away. I would go back to the old Fermanagh way, defend defend defend and try to win the games by only scoring 7 or 8 points.

Rant Over!!!

sammymaguire

What's the issue in Tempo lads? I think I know the craic with Quigley, I am good enough to walk onto this team but can't be arsed. I would have thought there might be more representation from Roslea, the county champions and Skea a group of lads surely on a high (and flying fit)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ExiledGael

Emmett

Discuss.

1. I did not think he was the right man for the job when he got the job and saturday night has not persuaded me otherwise. He does however deserve time. It has been speculated that JON is the reason that long serving players have declined to play this year.
2. Kelly, Foy and Keenan would be excellent additions to the squad. Kelly is very underrated and was a steady part of the half back line that made the ulster final. Foy has looked good any time I have seen him but attitude may be a problem. Keenan is a good ball winner and is good for a score or 2 per game, he also has an eye for a pass. I really don't know why they have been excluded though.
3. Yes! One of the most promising forwards in ulster but seems to have a piss poor attitude. Not too late to get him back onboard.
4. Most definitely. Apart from a number of the squad not being good enough at this level we also lack experience and leadership. Think frogs intercounty days are behind him unfortunately (he was taken for granted when was there year in year out in my opinion). McCluskey will not be back this year and would doubt that Shane Goan will return. From chatting to NTB men Blobby has not ruled himself out completely just yet which is good news. Is Shane McCabe an option? Ciaran McElroy would be a welcome addition. Would be great if Womble was to return. Its scary to think of the number of quality players we have unavailable for one reason or another!
5. With the current squad and set-up i'm afraid we can accept this but that can change!
6. I noticed the lack of effort and I feel it was an acceptance that we were not going to win the game. If this is the case then its not good enough. 100% effort is the least we should expect and could make up for lack of quality to some extent.

An alternative team of players we are missing for whatever reason

Gallagher/Tinney
Goan
McDermott
Foy
Kelly
McCluskey
D Ward
Womble
Carson
McCabe
R Keenan
C McElroy
D Keenan
Quigley
E Maguire

FermGael

Discuss.

1.  It was worringing on Saturday night.  there did not seem to be a plan a, never mind a plan a but give him time.
2.  I heard a "story" about it today and IF its true, then good luck.  Fermanagh do not need children like that, no matter how good they are.
3.  I have heard that Quigley was dropped.  The reasons for his dropping seem to be as clear as mud.  Blobby is working and that is well documented. 
4.  Goan has opened a new butchers in Skea and that is stopping him from committing.  Not to sure about Frog and Clucker is Playing soccer.  One poster mentioned Womble.  He is in Oz and in no hurry home.  Time to move on.
Eamonn maguire would be a serious help
5.  NO
6.  That was the worring thing for me as well.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

ExiledGael

Quote from: Emmett on February 21, 2011, 10:39:24 PM
Gallagher/Tinney
Goan
McDermott
Foy
Kelly
McCluskey
D Ward
Womble
Carson
McCabe
R Keenan
C McElroy
D Keenan
Quigley
E Maguire

That's unbelievable when you see them all together. Not even counting Marty McGrath.

Fermanaghandsam

Whats the hopes for this weekend lads. I just hope O'Neill starts with a more experienced and bigger line up, with McElroy, Sherry, Og Maguire and Cecil coming into the side at least.

I am optimistic, but can't unterstand why, just think if we make the changes we are bound to show some reaction to last weeks awful show.

However if O'Neill sticks to the same team again, I think we will get another hammering!

FermPundit

I didn't get to the game today. How did we play? Was there any improvement from last week?

Caid

i hear ryan jones got 6/7.

from wicklow hoganstand:

wicklow 4 ponts in first half all Furlong frees
Glynn scored a penalty
Little came on wth 7 mns left
ref was terrble
ferm had man sent off wicklow had 2 sent off
ferm should have won (consensus from ferm and wicklow hoganstand)
ferm fans were laughing at overweght wcklow men (seamus quigley anyone?!)

wicklow are no mugs but sounds like Fermanagh threw it away
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermPundit

Thanks Caid. It's disappointing to drop 3 points at home. We'll have to beat Roscommon to have any hope of going up.