Crossmaglen Rangers

Started by sam03/05, November 25, 2007, 06:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 25, 2007, 10:40:19 PM
QuoteJust wondering are all players native to the parish or do they from outside

Donaldson is the obvious one, but are ther any others who have played for other clubs?
Stephen Clarke and John Murtagh

Cross share the parish of upper creggan with three other clubs.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

brokencrossbar1

Lads, there is no doubt we are the best team of the modern era.  I am enjoying a few beers down in Cork here after watching the lads showing how great they actuall are!

As regards the lecality of the players, there are  3 that played for other clubs, JD as mentioned, John Murtagh, nephew of the manager and Stevie Clarke.  Clarkie is different as he actually started out playing for Cross but his family moved to Mullaghbawn.  He transferred back I think during minors but I cannot be a 100% sure of that. 

As regards whether they are the greatest ever in comparison to Nemo I had an argument with a journalist down here about that.  Yes, nemo have won the most AI's but they have been spread over a greater period of time and very few players would fall into the status of the Macs or Oisin in longevity.  A further point is that Nemo are streets behind in terms of local success.  They did not win the Cork Championship until the early 70's when Billy Morgan and a few others made the breakthrough.  It is all relative.  I believe that as a group of players we were the best ever single group and the current squad is building nicely on that.   

pintsofguinness

Quotepints as for cross sharing a with other parish, yes your correct but there are a few borders if thats what you could call it where players can play for any team,
Only as far as cross is concerned!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: dontcare on November 25, 2007, 11:12:54 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 25, 2007, 11:07:32 PM
Quotepints as for cross sharing a with other parish, yes your correct but there are a few borders if thats what you could call it where players can play for any team,
Only as far as cross is concerned!

dont think thats right pints, glen hanratty played for cross and then moved to play for the bridge,

So?

RONAN

Have to agree with Broken Crossbar in sayin that Cross are without doubt the best club of the modern era. They just seem to keep goin and goin, if one player gets injured, another able replacement fills in without any fuss. Credit were credit is due to Oisin as well, proved yesterday, weather you like him or not, he is probably one of the best forwards of the modern game.

shark

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 25, 2007, 10:53:21 PM
very few players would fall into the status of the Macs or Oisin in longevity.   

Just to pick you up on that point, Stephen O'Brien played in the 89, 94 and 03 winning sides. Jimmy Kerrigan and Tony Nation  in 82, 84, 89 and 94. Dinny Allen in 79, 82, 84 and 89. Joe Kavanagh and Colin Corkery in 94 and 03. Thats only off the top of my head. The Cross lads have won all-irelands 10 years apart, a magnificent achievement but in terms of longevity they are not alone.

Also Nemo might not have come on the scene since the early 70's but they do already have the most Cork SF Championships (16). Nearly averaging one every two years and this while the likes of St.Finbarrs and O'Donovan Rossa were winning all-irelands. So they do have quite impressive local success. No Armagh club won an Ulster title between '75 and '95 so I think its a valid point that Nemo are coming from a more difficult county championship.

Anyways just tying to liven up a pretty one sided debate here, both superb clubs and surely odds on the meet in the all-ireland final this year.

orangeman

Cross are without doubt the finest team in the modern era and that's all that matters !!!!!!

We'll never see a team like them again - the only way a better team will come along is if the GPA come along and introuduce a transfer system.

lynchbhoy

delighted to see Cross won again.
Maybe a super all Ireland final between the two greatest clubs in the history of the GAA could occur next St Patricks day ?
Is the draw for the semi finals keeping them apart hopefully?

bennydorano

Cross will play Leinster champs if they get past the British Champs

stpauls

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 25, 2007, 10:53:21 PM

As regards the lecality of the players, there are  3 that played for other clubs, JD as mentioned, John Murtagh, nephew of the manager and Stevie Clarke.  Clarkie is different as he actually started out playing for Cross but his family moved to Mullaghbawn.  He transferred back I think during minors but I cannot be a 100% sure of that. 

BC is right here, Stephen Clarke did move to Mullaghbawn and played with us until he got his driving licence and was able to drive himself to Cross for training!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: bennydorano on November 26, 2007, 12:12:27 PM
Cross will play Leinster champs if they get past the British Champs

next up is the battle of britain so to speak then  :o

Zapatista

If I had of known the GFA would spawn the ultimate footballing unit and it would be Crossmaglen in Armagh I might of reconcidered.

thebuzz

Generally speaking when a team have had a lot of success the older players lose the hunger but in Crossmaglen's case it's different. Aaron Kernan said in an interview a couple of weeks ago that it was the fear of losing which kept them going more than anything else. I'd say that this is the case because they have been winning for so long and they don't want to have the name of being the first team that lost. A mixture of this and the hunger of the new less established players keep them going from strength to strength.

Louth Exile

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 25, 2007, 10:47:02 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on November 25, 2007, 10:40:19 PM
QuoteJust wondering are all players native to the parish or do they from outside

Donaldson is the obvious one, but are ther any others who have played for other clubs?
Stephen Clarke and John Murtagh

Cross share the parish of upper creggan with three other clubs.

If rumours are true there will also be a former club man of your joining that list in the coming years!!

A lot of successfull teams will have one or two that is no home grown, fair play to Cross, they are an amazing club and the best of luck to them.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

AFS

The idea that the Armagh club championship is weak is misconception. If Crossmaglen were in anyone of about 25 other counties they'd have a similar record. Of the 12 Armagh titles they've won they've gone on to win the ulster championship 6 times. This means that 6 out of the last 12 years they definitely would have won any county championship in ulster. They've also won the all Ireland 4 times out of 11 meaning that in those 4 years they obviously would have won any county championship in Ireland.

For me there is only a handful of counties in which Cross would not have a similar record, namely: Derry, Mayo, Cork, Galway and maybe Laois,  and Tyrone. Even in these 'stronger' counties they would still have at least 7 or 8 of the last 12 though.