Sports insurance

Started by scout, August 14, 2022, 11:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 14, 2022, 11:21:50 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 14, 2022, 06:28:23 PM
Mr Soccergood man with his blindfold and earplugs.
It is absolute nonsense to suggest any sports club at any level operates witthout public liability insurance and injury cover. A blatant lie in fact.

It is a requirement for league affiliation and I know for a fact the FAI insist on proof.

Why suggest otherwise? Nobody believes it. What's the point?

GAA player injury fund lsnt an insurance policy , its a bit like a deposit account , every club pays a fee  per team, €1000 per senior team and €400 per underage team
( premium)and Croke park add in several million.
Its main benefit is for self employed players and serious injuries.

Wolfetones

It is absolute nonsense to suggest any sports club at any level operates witthout public liability insurance and injury cover. A blatant lie in fact.

It is a requirement for league affiliation and I know for a fact the FAI insist on proof.

100% not the case for the league Wobbler is referring to or for the F&W league. Both of which are under IFA jurisdiction.

thewobbler

Why do you pertain to know more about soccer in Newry than me? Seriously. Think about this.

Also, why would an organisation that has no facilities, and provides no services, have any earthly need for public liability insurance?

David McKeown

If I make it to training tonight (not feeling well) I will check out the position with insurance.  I know we have public liability insurance but we have a social club and I think we only have the players fund after that.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AustinPowers

A friend of  ours young lad  wrecked the knee at the soccer . The club had no insurance, so they had to fork out something like 8 grand for the surgery.  Parents assumed , like the GAA , that  players were insured, but nope.

If your kid plays soccer , get them insured yourself

I honestly don't know  how clubs are allowed to field any sort of  team without insurance

Rossfan

Soccer pays for nothing but has the hand out the whole time.
The Govt here had to in effect nationalise the FAI and continues to pour taxpayers money into that useless organisation.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Quote from: AustinPowers on August 15, 2022, 10:03:48 AM
A friend of  ours young lad  wrecked the knee at the soccer . The club had no insurance, so they had to fork out something like 8 grand for the surgery.  Parents assumed , like the GAA , that  players were insured, but nope.

I honestly don't know  how clubs are allowed to field any sort of  team without insurance

I don't agree, unless you're going to ban your children from having kickabouts with friends too.

marty34

Quote from: David McKeown on August 15, 2022, 09:52:28 AM
If I make it to training tonight (not feeling well) I will check out the position with insurance.  I know we have public liability insurance but we have a social club and I think we only have the players fund after that.

Is it open all the time David or just before/after games?

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on August 15, 2022, 10:12:57 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on August 15, 2022, 10:03:48 AM

I don't agree, unless you're going to ban your children from having kickabouts with friends too.

Any affiliated IFA football club will be covered in terms of public liability by the IFA's association cover.

In terms of player injuries there's nothing for players unless they take their own out. Maybe some of the fulltime clubs now offer more, but I knew a Linfield coach well back in the 00's and he told me the players had to pay for their own ops and the club would cover the physio/rehab side of things.

If I was still playing GAA, I'd be looking to take my own out as well as the GAA has stripped the cover back to the bare bones and what they offer for certain operations doesn't come close to covering the costs and the clubs are taking the hit there.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on August 15, 2022, 08:33:10 AM

Why do you pertain to know more about soccer in Newry than me? Seriously. Think about this.

Also, why would an organisation that has no facilities, and provides no services, have any earthly need for public liability insurance?

I think people might be talking at cross purposes here.

All clubs have public liability insurance. The discussion seems to be about an additional fund that Croke Park mamage in tbe GAA which is to give ayers a few quid if they get injured on top of medical costs.

If your soccer club is operating uninsured report them.

thewobbler

Only you're getting confused BB. You're the extrapolating your limited knowledge across an entire island and two jurisdictions of law and sporting administration.

—-

But to answer your last point. Tell me BB. Why would a local soccer club with no facilities, that provides no services to the public, need public liability insurance?

These teams to do not host events. They do not charge admission. They do not maintain the grounds.

If a spectator trips and smashes their head while watching a game, they'll sue the council (who own the pitches, and have a responsibility to maintain)?

If a players trips in the shower and smashes his head, he'll sue the pub that houses the shower.... It's their responsibility to maintain.

What eventuality is it you think they should insuring against?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on August 15, 2022, 11:26:11 AM
Only you're getting confused BB. You're the extrapolating your limited knowledge across an entire island and two jurisdictions of law and sporting administration.

—-

But to answer your last point. Tell me BB. Why would a local soccer club with no facilities, that provides no services to the public, need public liability insurance?

These teams to do not host events. They do not charge admission. They do not maintain the grounds.

If a spectator trips and smashes their head while watching a game, they'll sue the council (who own the pitches, and have a responsibility to maintain)?

If a players trips in the shower and smashes his head, he'll sue the pub that houses the shower.... It's their responsibility to maintain.

What eventuality is it you think they should insuring against?

Don't provide a service? And it got less logical after that.

thewobbler

Honestly Bb, you've no idea what you're talking about.

Public liability insurance serves a purpose of protecting you from claims by visitors/users/spectators of an event or service your are hosting. It is not insurance for participants.

If you cannot understand this, then please do not try to claim some mystical high ground on "logic".

If you can follow this, then please (for the 3rd time) explain to everyone why a soccer team with no grounds, no facilities, that does not held spectator events, would need public liability insurance.

bennydorano

Councils subbying out the liability

David McKeown

Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2022, 10:40:44 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 15, 2022, 09:52:28 AM

Is it open all the time David or just before/after games?

I honestly dont know as I live about 25 miles away from the club.  I know its open after games for sure and would be open for big matches and other sporting events but it wouldnt be used during training although I suppose its technically open.  We dont pay players though so we dont need to make money from it the way some other clubs do
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner