Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (37.3%)
Failure
67 (41.6%)
Too early to say
34 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 161

Rossfan

I gave you a figure for Enda recently.
13 County, 4 Club to Qtr Final stage.... God knows how many challenge I games at both. A lesser player not making the County 26 regularly would have Club League games
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on September 07, 2023, 09:23:33 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/09/07/ciaran-murphy-split-seasons-shorcomings-leave-gaa-space-to-tend-to-local-grassroots/

If you are only into intercounty games then your not really a GAA man, the amount of games throughout the year to watch or listen to is crazy, as a ref I've no split season, once club championships are dusted down, I'll be doing the Uni games, then the challenge games will be out followed by the intercounty 'in house games'  ;)

Then you are into the national league games, winter club games then club fixtures and back to intercounty championship... It never stops if you keep looking
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 07, 2023, 01:59:33 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/09/07/ciaran-murphy-split-seasons-shorcomings-leave-gaa-space-to-tend-to-local-grassroots/

If you are only into intercounty games then your not really a GAA man, the amount of games throughout the year to watch or listen to is crazy, as a ref I've no split season, once club championships are dusted down, I'll be doing the Uni games, then the challenge games will be out followed by the intercounty 'in house games'  ;)

Then you are into the national league games, winter club games then club fixtures and back to intercounty championship... It never stops if you keep looking
Which authority decides whether or not someone is a GAA person? Are people  who can't speak Irish not Irish ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on September 07, 2023, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 07, 2023, 01:59:33 PM

Which authority decides whether or not someone is a GAA person? Are people  who can't speak Irish not Irish ?

Lets deal with the point, there are so many sides to GAA, intercounty games account for 1% involvement of players, it's a very small part of the GAA, and if you are only concerned with watching the 1% then I feel you are not really into the GAA and its core values.

I know English people that struggle with speaking it, that doesn't make them less English

seafoid

If there are 32 counties with clubs and 1 intercounty in
in each code it's more like 4% of matches with the league included but it's all the money. And the media coverage. Having been to many matches for club and county I doubt as many people are as interested in club as county.

Eire90

could a gaa club champions league work if promoted.

seafoid

Quote from: Eire90 on September 07, 2023, 08:54:45 PM
could a gaa club champions league work if promoted.
There is no time in the calendar unless round robins are outlawed

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Eire90

Club championships dont really get going untill they get to knockout stages in most counties. Also  could the gaa not have all county finals on  the one weekend or split over two weekends a promote it as championship weekend.

Eire90

Do any counties have their senior intermediate and junior finals as a triple header.

onefineday

Quote from: Eire90 on September 07, 2023, 08:54:45 PMcould a gaa club champions league work if promoted.

No, aside from the calendar issues, interest in club gaa is confined to localities.
There's ample evidence to back that up, for example county championship attendances are much,much higher than provincial attendances. The exception being the all Ireland club final, but that was more of an occasion and I'm not clear what attendances are now that the Paddy's Day railway cup element has been removed.
The biggest market in the country, with massive superclubs with thousands of members has little to no interest in club gaa. A typical Dublin senior club championship game has attendances in the hundreds.
I'd be interested to know what rte viewing figures for club gaa are.

seafoid

Quote from: onefineday on September 30, 2023, 07:23:54 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on September 07, 2023, 08:54:45 PMcould a gaa club champions league work if promoted.

No, aside from the calendar issues, interest in club gaa is confined to localities.
There's ample evidence to back that up, for example county championship attendances are much,much higher than provincial attendances. The exception being the all Ireland club final, but that was more of an occasion and I'm not clear what attendances are now that the Paddy's Day railway cup element has been removed.
The biggest market in the country, with massive superclubs with thousands of members has little to no interest in club gaa. A typical Dublin senior club championship game has attendances in the hundreds.
I'd be interested to know what rte viewing figures for club gaa are.

Club and county are 2 different models. You know a lot of people at club matches but nobody outside the county recognises the names unless they get to the all Ireland endgame. Club is closer to the people and tends to rise and fall with generational talents.  Club rivalries can be visceral.

The county team draws support from a much wider base and plays all over the country. Probably more stable than a club team over the long term. The big wins are shared with the whole country.