Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (37.3%)
Failure
67 (41.6%)
Too early to say
34 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 161

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 18, 2023, 07:28:38 PM
Will there be game on Terrestrial TV now. Or are we in an unending cycle of all games being on GAAGO.
Do we care anymore?
GAAGO covers matches on days there are loads of them
The number of matches going forward is limited. So they just have 2 more weekends.

Sat, June 24th
SFC prelim quarter-finals (2 x games) (time tbc)
Sat, July 1st
SFC quarter-finals (2 x games) (time tbc)

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 07:38:02 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 18, 2023, 07:28:38 PM
Will there be game on Terrestrial TV now. Or are we in an unending cycle of all games being on GAAGO.
Do we care anymore?
GAAGO covers matches on days there are loads of them
The number of matches going forward is limited. So they just have 2 more weekends.

Sat, June 24th
SFC prelim quarter-finals (2 x games) (time tbc)
Sat, July 1st
SFC quarter-finals (2 x games) (time tbc)

And the 2nd Question: Do we care anymore?

restorepride

75% of the Provincial Championships got it right.   Not a bad starting point.  These Provincial things could catch on?!!

onefineday

Quote from: restorepride on June 18, 2023, 08:40:03 PM
75% of the Provincial Championships got it right.   Not a bad starting point.  These Provincial things could catch on?!!

they're over, they're the obvious white elephant in the new system.  Expect to see crowds dwindle in Ulster and Connacht over the next few years as people figure out that they're relatively meaningless.

armaghniac

Quote from: restorepride on June 18, 2023, 10:55:31 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 10:22:11 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 18, 2023, 09:53:52 AM
I think it's a nonsense complaining about the new system this early.

We get 4 extra knockout games with the prelim QF, and before they even happen people are saying they should be got rid of.

The round robin has been better than I expected, the biggest problem is the naysayers get all the limelight in the media and social media. So few of the games being on the Telly hasn't helped. If the Dubs-Ros game, for example, had been live on tv  that could have changed the narrative. Instead social media got the opportunity to lead the narrative and alll we heard was the moaning about the first half and instead of Ros getting credit they got lambasted.

We have had lots of extra games, at a higher level than normal league games,  many teams have learnt and improved, and now we have lots of straight knockout to look forward to. Let's hope people (and the feckin media) can now enjoy the championship and stop looking for things to moan about.
It's a systemic change to the all Ireland so the first iteration is unlikely to be the last.
Next year probably will be different.
Agreed.  Also, GAA families simply can't financially afford all the extra games - the cost of the Group games needs to be reduced dramatically for a start.  24 games played to eliminate 4 teams?! Some of my own family didn't travel to Longford yesterday dues to cost. Fact, not moaning.  And of course the Ulster Champions didn't feature on GAA Go.

They need some discount for people that go to all the group games, a 3 game package or a discount for the subsequent QF or preliminary QF.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Quote from: onefineday on June 23, 2023, 12:30:34 AM
Quote from: restorepride on June 18, 2023, 08:40:03 PM

they're over, they're the obvious white elephant in the new system.  Expect to see crowds dwindle in Ulster and Connacht over the next few years as people figure out that they're relatively meaningless.
You weren't in Clones for the Ulster final or you wouldn't be coming out with shite like that.

5times5times

Armagh games attendances in Ulster...

10k v Antrim
12k v Cavan
22.5k v Down
30k v Derry

That's close to 75000 in 4 games.... Dwindling, yeah right.

pbat

I believe the GAA have finally found a formula for the championship that works with a few tweaks,  but it needs to be spread across the summer with the All Ireland finals last two week ends of August at the earliest.

Bowing to the GPA by condensing the summer so there members can swan of to the states is wrong. I have no issue with lads going to America to make a few quid, I have an issue with the GAA moving there calendar to facility this.

This is nothing to do with club players, after tonight my club have 3 league games left in the Armagh league and the championship doesn't start to end off August. This was never about player welfare.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

shark

Quote from: pbat on June 23, 2023, 12:23:25 PM
I believe the GAA have finally found a formula for the championship that works with a few tweaks,  but it needs to be spread across the summer with the All Ireland finals last two week ends of August at the earliest.

Bowing to the GPA by condensing the summer so there members can swan of to the states is wrong. I have no issue with lads going to America to make a few quid, I have an issue with the GAA moving there calendar to facility this.

This is nothing to do with club players, after tonight my club have 3 league games left in the Armagh league and the championship doesn't start to end off August. This was never about player welfare.

It has plenty to do with club players. Football Championship starts in my county this weekend. Try and consider what it might be like in a county where football and hurling are both popular and there is a significant overlap of players. Then consider how starting later impacts those players. I was one of them for 15 years. It was shit. It's way better now.

rrhf

Quote from: 5times5times on June 23, 2023, 12:22:52 PM
Armagh games attendances in Ulster...

10k v Antrim
12k v Cavan
22.5k v Down
30k v Derry

That's close to 75000 in 4 games.... Dwindling, yeah right.
They need to split Armagh in 2.. for Armagh to bring 30 K people to an ulster final is simply amazing. Well done all! Do you have a pic?

rrhf

I agree but for 1 change put the minor games on before it as they have hurt a great competition by separating them. Also play tailtin cup earlier and both finalists enter Sam race at prelim quarter finals stage in same year. Winner still gets a holiday. Could you imagine the excitement in Meath, down Antrim and derry this weekend if they still had a chance to get
Back in the race for Sam by winning 1 more game.

Louther

Quote from: rrhf on June 23, 2023, 02:32:43 PM

I agree but for 1 change put the minor games on before it as they have hurt a great competition by separating them. Also play tailtin cup earlier and both finalists enter Sam race at prelim quarter finals stage in same year. Winner still gets a holiday. Could you imagine the excitement in Meath, down Antrim and derry this weekend if they still had a chance to get
Back in the race for Sam by winning 1 more game.

Bonkers. Calling for the summer games to go longer but for the "tailtin" to be finished earlier so they can enter the all Ireland championship? So 14 other teams are finished weeks earlier so 2 average teams can re enter a competition they've already had two chances to qualify for - league and provincial championship.

I'm Derry are very excited for the semi finals this weekend. There wouldn't be one extra ripple in these counties at the thoughts of getting into quarter  finals as they know they would be squarely beat out the gate.

The constant want in the GAA for second chances and rewarding losing and lesser quality is amazing at times.

Louther

I've actually had a great idea. The teams who don't qualify out of there groups i.E. Louth who came fourth, get to enter the Tailteann Cup at preliminary quarter final stage, the the two finalists of the Tailteann Cup get into the All Ireland championship quarter final stage.

A great opportunity for Louth to get stuffed again by Dublin or Kerry or someone new like Mayo or Galway.

Some teams be waiting for weeks or a month for a game but we have a serious buzz in some counties in the Tailteann. Could increase attendances by dozens of people.

thewobbler

This shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp but I'll explain it anyway.

The reason why, in any given season, a team is in the Tailteann Cup is because they're below the standard of the AI, and as far away as a lighthouse from the AI contenders.

Parachuting Tailteann winners back into the AI in the same season wouldn't be a reward. It would be punishment.