Senior Hurlers 2022

Started by mcwregor, December 16, 2021, 10:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcwregor

I think we have suffered in recent years by not having enough forwards. P Purcell was an all star nominee as a forward last year. so there's no way i would play him midfield. If we can get him on the ball near the goals like we did against Antrim and Waterford he can cause serious damage. We need him to do that. I would play Jack Kelly in midfield too, we have enough for the half back line and jack can both be defensive minded as well as play in good ball and get a few scores from midfield too.

This team would be exciting.

E Rowland
D Hartnett
S Downey
D Conway
P Delaney
L O Connell
R Mullaney
J Kelly
F C Fennell
W Dunphy (Could swap with picky)
C Dwyer
B Conroy
P Purcell (Roaming between half and full forward lines, getting onto breaks and heading for goal)
Picky
R King

No sweeper, trust the backs to mark their men. Rowland to bomb huge puckouts down reaching between half and full forward lines and i think we have the forwards there to cause trouble. If opportunity is there Rowland should give the puck out to Downey, take it back and strike from 14, ball should be landing around the 21 (worked well last year).

C McEvoy unlucky not to be in the team. Corby to be impact from the bench. Dowling/Scully inside forward options. Keyes an option for half forward line.
Is Lennon injured? Has played v little since 2019. Pity about the non committals but we should still have a strong outfit when all available.

mcwregor

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on January 10, 2022, 02:41:14 PM
Quote from: Spiritof86 on January 10, 2022, 12:20:13 PM
Is Paddy Purcell taking a year out ?
No. He's back though don't know where he was yesterday possibly covid related. Ciaran mcevoy missing with a broken finger along with injuries to cha and pj scully. Good to see Cheddar attempting to increase the depth of squad. But we seemed to be lacking in the S&C department.
In other news the u20s played out a competitive draw with a strong Limerick outfit
yesterday. James duggan scored 3-02. Surely worth a look at senior level.

Positive to see u20s competing well, a bit of hope for this team although i wouldnt get carried away. Galway will be very strong and KK are always so hard to beat. Limerick were munster minor champions at this level but they have Colin Coughlan, Cathal O Neill and an amazing talent in Adam English on the senior panel so they may not have been playing against us. What sort of a team did we have out do you know. Any dreaded non committals? An effort should be made to get D Dooley involved if at all possible. Probably no chance of it.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: mcwregor on January 10, 2022, 09:27:06 PM
No. He's back though don't know where he was yesterday possibly covid related. Ciaran mcevoy missing with a broken finger along with injuries to cha and pj scully. Good to see Cheddar attempting to increase the depth of squad. But we seemed to be lacking in the S&C department.
In other news the u20s played out a competitive draw with a strong Limerick outfit

Positive to see u20s competing well, a bit of hope for this team although i wouldnt get carried away. Galway will be very strong and KK are always so hard to beat. Limerick were munster minor champions at this level but they have Colin Coughlan, Cathal O Neill and an amazing talent in Adam English on the senior panel so they may not have been playing against us. What sort of a team did we have out do you know. Any dreaded non committals? An effort should be made to get D Dooley involved if at all possible. Probably no chance of it.

Started
1. Finian cuddy
B. Bredin.    Danny brennan.    Ian shanshsn
N. Coss.     Fionan mahony.    P. Brennan
         Rian Edwards.   Mossy keyes
Cathal Murphy.   T. Cuddy.       Shaun fitzpatrick
P. Rafter.       Duggan.   Noah quinlan

Big commitment all round. Very positive to see shaun Fitz in. Lot to offer both codes that chap. Another 10 plus subs came on. So plenty of fine talent to work with.

Robbo

Think James keyes will be close this year. Was brill against waterford last year. Has bulked up over last 2 years I think.

Agree that we need speed on the wing. Pity Lee clear isn't back as he had a great year there. I think mullany will end up centre back.

I'd like
enda
Conway
Downey
Hartnet
delaney
mullany
Kelly
Fennell
keyes/corby/lennon
cha
King
purcell
picky
dunohy
scully/bergin/dowling

Good see the u20s being competitive.

Zooming around

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on January 10, 2022, 10:55:03 PM

Started
1. Finian cuddy

Big commitment all round. Very positive to see shaun Fitz in. Lot to offer both codes that chap. Another 10 plus subs came on. So plenty of fine talent to work with.

Have you any idea who the ten subs were?

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Zooming around on January 11, 2022, 09:18:25 AM
Quote from: Spiritof1915 on January 10, 2022, 10:55:03 PM

Started
1. Finian cuddy

Have you any idea who the ten subs were?
Lawson
C. Comerford
K. Dunne
Not sure of the rest.

Helix.

Didn't get down to Callan this afternoon was listening on KCLR in 2nd half. Laois seemed to tire middle of 2nd half and a mix of Kilkenny kicking into gear.

Good to see John Lennon back even if he only got a half game. Hopefully gets a good run injury free this year.

beano

Didn't make the match but was very disappointed not to win that game . Looking at the kk team sheet it was a team of unknowns. We had at least ten championship starters . What are kk going to be like in league when they'll be much stronger. That was a match that we should have targeted for the win.  Great to see John Lennon back hurling. He has suffered enough over the past two years with injuries . The second half fade out would also worry me a bit. A lot of work to do before the tipp game.

blueandwhite1

Yeah, they probably should have pushed on to win that. However, it had all the hallmarks of a Walsh cup match. Lads straight back into the team with no training done, experiments everywhere, loads of changes and heavy legs in the second half.

Lots of work to do but a decent panel building.

redsetanta

Decent performance from Laois. Too many wides in the first half though and from commentary, there were a few goal chances but a poor final pass scuppered the chance.

Also, two 'professional' fouls by KK men to stop a Laois man going for goal.

Anyhow bar brownie points there wasn't anything else for a victory so at least they got a good contest for most of the game.

Plenty of fine tuning to be done before the start of the league and into the championship. Games will be thick and fast so need all available players.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

mcwregor

Big game saturday evening. Tipp have been rocked by Paudie Mahers retirement. They will also got a little set back against Kerry.
They will have a different team out to the one that played Kerry though and they will come all guns blazing to portlaoise on saturday evening gunning for the win.
They are in transition though and are down brendan and paudie maher and bubbles from last year along with a couple more so I do think they are a little vulnerable.

How are we fixed? There is very little coming out from the laois camp. Cheddar has been quiet. The walsh cup wasnt great but i suspect there was a lot of heavy training going on at the time.
Hopefully we are in good shape personnel wise and we dont have many injuries going into the game. Anyone have an update? Cha will be a loss but hopefully he'll be back later in the league.
Otherwise i do hope the management team have targeted this game and are ready to give it an almighty go. I dont think a win is beyond us if we are right and it would be some start to the year.
Heres hoping, Laois ABU

blueandwhite1

Unfortunately, the Kerry win against Tipp will make sure they are not complacent against us.

Would imagine most of the team will be made up of the U20/U21 all-Ireland winning teams of the last few years with a spine from their older lads (Ronan Maher, Noel and John McGrath, Jason Forde, Seamus Callanan).

Hard to know how we will go but would take a competitive showing.

burdizzo

Well, I'd say that was as much down to Tipp's inadequacies as any brilliance from our lads. A four point loss, we'll certainly take - especially when we were so toothless up front, and when we played most of the second half with Purcell sent off. Picky was our only starter who scored from play (didn't he get the touch for the goal, too?), and he seemed to run out of steam a bit in the second half, too. Keyes, in fairness, was lively enough when he came in, and his 0-3 should see him start the next day. I hope. Where's the likes of P.J. Scully? Not the answer to all our prayers, I know, but he'd be an option, and had been improving.
Odd. I know it was a bad night, but the big crowd was practically dead, and there was no sense at all, even when they got it back to three in the last quarter, that Laois could get anything from this. Only for a couple of missed goal chances (not that Tipp hadn't), and a lot of wides in the first half (most of them carried to the same side by the wind), and Laois could easily have threatened what was a pretty mediocre Tipp team.
I suppose the positive thing is that we did quite well in the backs with some good last-gasp defending and not conceding a goal was nice. Podge Delaney stood out but, in fairness, none of the backs had a poor game. Fiachra Fennell did well in the middle but, as said, we need more up front. The Tipp lads had us for size almost everywhere, and our bench didn't seem especially inspiring or indicative of any great depth.
Anyway, we'll see. Not too bad for starters, and plenty of room for improvement!

G@@

Thought Laois were decent enough tonight for our first league game of the season. Hartnett was very good throughout and mopped up alot of ball - he covered some amount of ground too. Rowland was excellent with only two poor puckouts, but made up for these errors with a few fine saves. Thought Ryan Mullaney was quite jittery and fumbled a fair amount of ball - a few wayward passes too that could have cost us more than a few points.
Paddy Purcell getting a red was totally out of character for him. Didn't get a great view of the incident and thought the Tipp lad made a drama out of whatever contact there was. Our two missed goals and half dozen or more wides cost us a better result tonight. Roddy was not his usual self. Keyes was a joy to watch when he came on - very tigerish and up for the attack at all times. Felt sorry for Flanagan who came on and just couldn't catch a break. Comerford was too slow to react to a high ball coming in towards the end, had he made his run a second sooner he would have planted a goal.
A fair few of the Laois lads looked bulked up - perhaps it was the white jersey, but they look like they've been in the gym. Our first touch was a little off in general - though how much did the weather play into that? We need a little more sharpness in directing our passes - Tipp were light years ahead in that department and the difference in placed passes were glaringly obvious.
Waterford away next week will be a tough slog and they'll remember their near nightmare against us last summer, so we won't be bringing any element of surprise to Walsh Park. Overall would be happy with how we hurled tonight - though during the latter parts of the second half we allowed our CF line to drift well back which starved us of better attacking options.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Laois man

Not much point being in the gym and bulked up and only one player that started scoring from play. What's the story with Corby not starting he was the best club player in laois this year. Podge Delaney had a fine game.