Hurling championship 2021

Started by seafoid, April 27, 2021, 09:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 09, 2021, 11:26:30 AM
Not a Cork man on it! hard to argue in fairness and was lucky enough to see them live on the day, outstanding performance but felt over the course of the championship Patrick Horgan, should have been selected

not buying the Horgan hype TBH.

He was dropped for a few games by Cork, had a decent game against Kilkenny and went to town when the wheels came off the Kilkenny challenge in injury time.
Fine hurler, but needs space that Limerick didn't give him.

Guillane also didn't get one and he'd be more deserving than Horgan IMO.

Murphy in nets is probably my choice too but Quaid run him close and Tony Kelly just had to get one as he nearly got Clare into an AI semi-final only for a great save by the Cork keeper.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 09, 2021, 11:39:52 AM
Thought that too. That's probably the most ever from one county I imagine. I wasn't sure on Casey but Flanagan definitely deserved one.
Previous max in hurling or football was 9.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/hurling-all-stars-limerick-smash-record-with-12-while-cork-are-left-out-1.4750487That record stands for both hurling and football and was previously achieved three times in hurling by Kilkenny in 1983, 2000 and 2008, twice in football by Dublin, last year and 1977, and once by Kerry, in 1981.

The other headline from this year's selection is that Cork have received no awards – the first time this has happened to beaten All-Ireland finalists in the 51 years of the scheme 

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cyril Farrell fan

Under the older rules of the scheme, Peter Casey wouldn't have been selected for getting sent off.

johnnycool

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on December 09, 2021, 08:28:56 PM
Under the older rules of the scheme, Peter Casey wouldn't have been selected for getting sent off.

Overturned on appeal though Cyril..

Leinster champions get 1, in fact the only Leinster representative and whilst I do think Limerick were the dominant force of the championship you need to go into specifics...

Flanagan is probably the only doubtful one in my mind from a Limerick perspective but you could also argue that Dan Morrisey is very unlucky as he was outstanding once introduced to the Limerick team vrs Tipp and from then on it..

Who from Cork deserved their place over the championship campaign?

All subjective..

Who

Wildweasel74

Or a sign of how poor the standard of hurling is, Limerick aside, the majority of the teams are way off the best teams they ever had.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 11, 2021, 12:37:11 AM
Or a sign of how poor the standard of hurling is, Limerick aside, the majority of the teams are way off the best teams they ever had.

That's like saying all the teams trying to beat Dublin these last 7 years were poor, Limerick have taken it to a standard that Kilkenny had during their dominance. Teams need to lift their game, otherwise split Limerick  :D

Johnny,  Horgan for me deserved one, as did Guillane
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 11, 2021, 06:03:48 PM

That's like saying all the teams trying to beat Dublin these last 7 years were poor, Limerick have taken it to a standard that Kilkenny had during their dominance. Teams need to lift their game, otherwise split Limerick  :D

I hear what you are saying, but who are you dropping to give it to them?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on December 13, 2021, 10:51:52 AM

I know, I wouldn't have the foggiest on that, as they all hit the mark this year.

I'm probably thinking that players should only be picked for the positions they play in, that would at least be a proper line up. granted some teams have players that move about either lines. but if he's played 5 games in one position then that's his place, he shouldn't be picked for another position that he never played in or was in it for 30 minutes.. Tony Kelly as an example
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 13, 2021, 11:01:38 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 13, 2021, 10:51:52 AM

I know, I wouldn't have the foggiest on that, as they all hit the mark this year.

I'm probably thinking that players should only be picked for the positions they play in, that would at least be a proper line up. granted some teams have players that move about either lines. but if he's played 5 games in one position then that's his place, he shouldn't be picked for another position that he never played in or was in it for 30 minutes.. Tony Kelly as an example

Positions don't mean an awful lot in the modern game TBH.

Tony Kelly might have 9 on his back one day, 15 on it another and start in those positions initially but then roam wherever.

I'm assuming its the players themselves who vote on this now since the GPA got involved, correct?

Milltown Row2

Better here than nowhere...

Ballyhale Shamrocks finally woke up and Fennelly is a hard man to stop.

His goal that he lobbed the keeper was some effort.

S'niel are still Ulster champions, some display today and will go into the semifinals with every opportunity to get to Croke.

Strong all over the pitch

Wildweasel74

Ballyhale if they win this year may go down as the greatest club hurling team. Always liked the Sarfield team from the 90's myself.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 19, 2021, 08:13:02 PM
Ballyhale if they win this year may go down as the greatest club hurling team. Always liked the Sarfield team from the 90's myself.

Winners of Munster will be strong, if St Thomas's are as good as they used to be they'll be strong. And S'niel will fancy themselves too

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2021, 08:40:31 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 19, 2021, 08:13:02 PM

Winners of Munster will be strong, if St Thomas's are as good as they used to be they'll be strong. And S'niel will fancy themselves too

Winners of Ballygunnar and Kilmallock play SN AFAIK but that Munster final not being played till January if at all the way things look like going.

St Thomas' have been a bit weak in the AI phases quite a few times and Ballyhale would be hot favourites there IMO.

seafoid

Limerick are replicating the Dublin problem in football. This year's all stars are a sign.
How much money has been pumped in by whom ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on December 20, 2021, 12:54:13 PM

Limerick are replicating the Dublin problem in football. This year's all stars are a sign.
How much money has been pumped in by whom ?

Loads and its coming from JP McManus.

Difference is it's not GAA money doping the system.