Ash dieback

Started by theskull1, March 23, 2016, 08:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Very worrying article about ash extinction due to the ironically named emerald ash borer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35876621
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on March 23, 2016, 08:59:59 AM
Very worrying article about ash extinction due to the ironically named emerald ash borer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35876621

Not good news, but surely there's some sort of quarantine process that could be put in place?

Are Cultec on the stock market yet?

MoChara

Crash of the ash will change essence of hurling forever

By John Fogarty
GAA Correspondent
Bernie O'Connor says it is a "definite" that hurley makers will lose their livelihoods as a result of the ash-dieback disease and claims it will change the essence of the game of hurling.

A review published by the Journal of Ecology claims almost all ash trees in Europe will be wiped out because of the fungal disease as well as a beetle called the emerald ash borer.

The GAA have established The Ash Society in the hope of tackling a growing crisis although GAA director of games development Pat Daly has already acknowledged there may come a time when ash hurleys may no longer be used in the game.

Long-standing hurley-maker O'Connor is fully aware the wood is decreasing in supply and accepts it could have drastic repercussions for craftsmen like himself.

"That is a definite. You will have the hurley manufacturers going out of business. If they're not available, you will have these plastic ones coming in. Now, I think they're terrible but that's for another day. There's no doubt people will lose jobs."

Newtownshandrum-based O'Connor claims the threat to the ash tree on the continent threatens a quintessential part of hurling. "To me, the whole concept of the game would be gone altogether. It's all about the clash of the ash and anything else won't be the same. Although, I suppose young fellas will grow up with it and they won't really mind.

"The old fella will miss it and there might even be the odd fella who gives up hurling because of it but the young fella won't know any better.

"The sound off anything but ash... there's a different sound off it completely. It will have a big effect on the game in general."

As of now, there are 19,000 hectares of ash in Ireland although 75% of the wood in the country now has to be imported. The total ash demand here per year is between 300,000 and 400,000 hurleys, which equates to upwards of 900 hectares.

Little to no ash is currently being planted here and Daly has spoken about the idea of a hybrid hurley.

According to Daly, the Ash Society, which includes stakeholders such as the GAA, Coillte, Teagasc and the Irish Guild of Ash Hurley Makers, are taking a three-pronged approach. "Number one, breeding from resistance (to the disease).

"It may be possible to breed a strain of ash that would be resistant to the disease.

"Number two, doing more with less ash. In other words, looking at different ways of making the hurley as distinct from the traditional plank, which is a premium cut.

"The third thing then would be to look at some hybrid hurley where there would be some man-made material as well as some ash."

Studies have shown the use of charcoal may interrupt the spread of the disease but there has been little let-up in the contagion with Denmark, where the ash tree is similar to that in Ireland, completely wiped out.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/crash-of-the-ash-will-change-essence-of-hurling-forever-389166.html

snoopdog

There was something on I think country file a few weeks back about some experimental treatment on ash trees that to date has prevented the dieback it involved some kind of charcoal I think being added to the soil when planted.

manfromdelmonte

...... rushes out to invent rival to the cultec

doodaa

I thought a good portion of the ash was already coming from China. Is ash dieback an issue in Asia? Perhaps I heard wrong though (about where the ash is coming from).

Is there no other type of timber that has similar properties to that of ash that could be used?

keep her low this half

I read this myself the other day and first thought was bloody hell what does this mean for hurling sticks, only getting dearer by the look of things. Sad sad situation.

AZOffaly

Quote from: doodaa on March 24, 2016, 02:47:10 PM
I thought a good portion of the ash was already coming from China. Is ash dieback an issue in Asia? Perhaps I heard wrong though (about where the ash is coming from).

Is there no other type of timber that has similar properties to that of ash that could be used?

The clash of the yew doesn't sound as good :)

doodaa

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 25, 2016, 08:12:09 AM
Quote from: doodaa on March 24, 2016, 02:47:10 PM

The clash of the yew doesn't sound as good :)

The clash of a the plastic hurl sounds even worse  :P

AZOffaly

Cultec aren't plastic :) The clash of the carbon fibre sounds no better.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 25, 2016, 09:30:28 AM

Clash of the Wavin pipe sounds even better

doodaa

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 25, 2016, 09:30:28 AM

What are they made of?
It certainly isn't carbon fibre cos they'd cost a small fortune if it was lol

EDIT; Its "Made from a composite of synthetic epoxy, nylon and some graphite"

and they are still shieite, I have to accept though that it is probably what my children will be using unless I do a bulk buy with Jim O'Brien!

AZOffaly

Jays, they are far from shite. I think they are excellent.

manfromdelmonte

Made in China.

you can actually buy them in direct from the company that makes them for cultec

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 25, 2016, 12:34:08 PM
Jays, they are far from shite. I think they are excellent.

They are particularly good for kids U12 and down IMO, Nice and light with a big sweet spot.