Future of Hurling ??

Started by Rossfan, February 12, 2014, 01:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Eddie Keher and Brian Cody want red and yellow cards abolished in hurling.
Liam O'Neill to establish a forum for debate about the future of hurling.
What's going on here?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

deiseach

Cody and Keher are old school fantasists. No dirt in hurling? Give over.

O'Neill wants to establish a forum for debate about the future of hurling. Sounds like a good idea to me, especially if the debate would be otherwise dominated by the likes of Cody and Keher.

Premier Emperor

A year ago Cody was crying about Padraic Maher and wanting all sorts of punishments for a foul on Michael Rice.
Now, all because the Ginger Cat got red carded and Kilkenny lost, Darth Cody wants card done away with.

Let's just do away with referees and let Cody decide what constitutes fair play!

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on February 12, 2014, 02:01:53 PM
Cody and Keher are old school fantasists. No dirt in hurling? Give over.

O'Neill wants to establish a forum for debate about the future of hurling. Sounds like a good idea to me, especially if the debate would be otherwise dominated by the likes of Cody and Keher.

The debate on hurling will be dictated solely by the traditional counties with no thoughts on hurling from outside the elite.
Yeah when discussing Div1a, Div1b obviously their inputs are imperative, just let the others have their say on the lower echelons of hurling and how it can be improved rather than ignoring us yet again.

Milltown Row2

From a hurlers view (hate when purely football eejits have a say, It's like me having a view on cricket)  :o What's currently wrong with the rules as they are for hurling? It's been having a great couple of years in terms of emerging teams and the quality of the games when in the latter stages.

If anything needs fixing it's about investing in the smaller counties and trying to develop and grow them to be pushing the traditional counties, the traditional counties will always produce great teams (usually in cycles) but for teams to make a breakthrough every so often the ripple effect it has in the county is massive
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2014, 04:18:00 PM
From a hurlers view (hate when purely football eejits have a say, It's like me having a view on cricket)  :o What's currently wrong with the rules as they are for hurling? It's been having a great couple of years in terms of emerging teams and the quality of the games when in the latter stages.

If anything needs fixing it's about investing in the smaller counties and trying to develop and grow them to be pushing the traditional counties, the traditional counties will always produce great teams (usually in cycles) but for teams to make a breakthrough every so often the ripple effect it has in the county is massive

That's the thing, how many county board delegates to either the Ulster council or Central council are purely from one code in any county?

deiseach

Quote from: johnneycool on February 12, 2014, 04:05:49 PM
The debate on hurling will be dictated solely by the traditional counties with no thoughts on hurling from outside the elite.
Yeah when discussing Div1a, Div1b obviously their inputs are imperative, just let the others have their say on the lower echelons of hurling and how it can be improved rather than ignoring us yet again.

You're probably right, which is a crying shame. Hurling's stock has never been higher and it's vitally important to get the non-traditional counties on board.

waterfordlad

Brian Cody having his annual moan about refereeing and cards before the season starts. Some of the yellow and red cards were harsh last year but it's up to the refs to decide what should be a card. I don't see how getting rid of cards would achieve anything. Hurling went too lenient for a number of years so it has got a bit stricter now and the likes of Keher and Cody don't like it.
I hope Liam O'Neill's debate on the future of hurling won't be just about cards. We had the best championship in many years last year so I don't know where this has come out of.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: waterfordlad on February 12, 2014, 08:04:06 PM
Brian Cody having his annual moan about refereeing and cards before the season starts. Some of the yellow and red cards were harsh last year but it's up to the refs to decide what should be a card. I don't see how getting rid of cards would achieve anything. Hurling went too lenient for a number of years so it has got a bit stricter now and the likes of Keher and Cody don't like it.
I hope Liam O'Neill's debate on the future of hurling won't be just about cards. We had the best championship in many years last year so I don't know where this has come out of.

This is pressure from tv/paper, jounos and bog ball men, they need the need to be looking for something
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2014, 09:46:37 PM

This is pressure from tv/paper, jounos and bog ball men, they need the need to be looking for something
Maybe us "bog ball men" should stop subsidising that minority game  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 13, 2014, 03:39:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 12, 2014, 09:46:37 PM

Maybe us "bog ball men" should stop subsidising that minority game  ;)

At what point are they subsidising it? All the money is going to football anyways, county boards in football run counties couldn't give a stuff about, tell me different

theskull1

Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 12, 2014, 02:58:59 PM
A year ago Cody was crying about Padraic Maher and wanting all sorts of punishments for a foul on Michael Rice.
Now, all because the Ginger Cat got red carded and Kilkenny lost, Darth Cody wants card done away with.

Let's just do away with referees and let Cody decide what constitutes fair play!

Two incidents at totally opposite ends of the spectrum is hardly helping your argument.

Has anyone got a link to the Maher pull. I only seen it live and at the time I remember thinking it was as dirty a swing that I'd ever seen at inter county in recent memory.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

deiseach

Quote from: theskull1 on February 14, 2014, 11:50:30 PM
Has anyone got a link to the Maher pull. I only seen it live and at the time I remember thinking it was as dirty a swing that I'd ever seen at inter county in recent memory.

I thought there was no dirt in the game. Brian Cody certainly thinks this.

Premier Emperor

Two incidents at totally opposite ends of the spectrum is hardly helping your argument.

You must live in a cave if you think it was that bad.
It was a clumsy one handed pull on the ball where the hurley flew up and caught Rice on the hand.

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 17, 2014, 09:55:28 AM

You must live in a cave if you think it was that bad.
It was a clumsy one handed pull on the ball where the hurley flew up and caught Rice on the hand.

Clumsy or careless?