Cluiche ceannais na sraithe: Corcaigh v Maigh Eo

Started by muppet, April 11, 2010, 04:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Cork will be out for revenge big time. Hardly worth showing up is it?
MWWSI 2017

bucko

Dunno, happy with the win and what sounded like a very good second half performance, but got the impression from the 9 changes and from the commentary that Cork weren't gonna bust a gut on this one. Very different game in 2 weeks.

muppet

Quote from: bucko on April 11, 2010, 05:02:10 PM
Dunno, happy with the win and what sounded like a very good second half performance, but got the impression from the 9 changes and from the commentary that Cork weren't gonna bust a gut on this one. Very different game in 2 weeks.

So if they make another 9 changes again does that mean they want to win, or that they aren't taking it seriously?

Munster cute hoorism is worth doing a thesis on. If they win, they are great. If they lose, they didn't want to win really so they are still great. It's win win. Or lose win.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on April 12, 2010, 03:31:23 AM
Quote from: bucko on April 11, 2010, 05:02:10 PM

So if they make another 9 changes again does that mean they want to win, or that they aren't taking it seriously?

Munster cute hoorism is worth doing a thesis on. If they win, they are great. If they lose, they didn't want to win really so they are still great. It's win win. Or lose win.

Very apt points, muppet.
Of course the next game could see Cork knocking the stuffing out of us—then again it might not. They just mightn't devour us like a plate load of drisheen. Many of Counihan's second string would find a spot on most other IC teams in the land.  No doubt he has a very experienced panel and the competition amongst them for places must be red hot. His team didn't stay with Mayo in the second half yesterday but they didn't lie down either.
Mayo are developing into a very serious side at a fast rate and full credit is due to John O'Mahony for getting them to play to their best potential. Maybe he didn't have his preferred 15 on show yesterday either.  I doubt that Cork will be taking anything for granted the next day.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Barney

Fair play to the lads. 6 wins against 7 very tough teams is a massive achievement. People may give out about the competition, the quality of a team at a particular time of the season etc. etc. but the facts are there - you have to be good to win that number of games and with 4 wins on the road you have to be impressed.

Given that this has been achieved with long-term unavailability of McGarrity, Kilcoyne, Harte, Cunniffe, Gardiner and Barry Moran it is all the more pleasing. We have a nice panel of players coming together.

As for the Final you would have to think Cork at full pelt will be a tough ask but all questions have been answered so far. Other counties may sneer, or differ, but a League win would be a big achievement and would make 2010 a success for the long-term development of the squad regardless of whether any silverware follows in the Summer.

Do we reckon it will be on in Dublin?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Johnno was calling for a football/hurling double header in Croke Park. Mayo V Cork, Galway V Cork. Personally I would like to go one further and call for Roscommon V Dublin to join us. The Dubs get a big home support, Cork football and hurling fans get to see both of their teams and the Rossies get a huge Connacht support behind them, same for Mayo and Galway. That would come close to fill Croke Park.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Barney

QuoteThat would come close to fill Croke Park.

Not a hope in hell. 40,000 would still be a serious crowd.

Cork won't follow the footballers.

Galway won't follow anybody.

Mayo will bring a crowd but still be fearful.

Only the most committed supporters actually know there is an u21 championship.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Barney on April 12, 2010, 04:14:43 PM
QuoteThat would come close to fill Croke Park.

Not a hope in hell. 40,000 would still be a serious crowd.

Cork won't follow the footballers.

Galway won't follow anybody.

Mayo will bring a crowd but still be fearful.

Only the most committed supporters actually know there is an u21 championship.

The Galway hurlers are actually getting decent support recently. A Kilkenny friend of mine said he couldn't believe how many were down in Nowlan Park for the recent league match between the two. That said most of them would have minimal interest even in watching Galway play football let alone Mayo and Cork. They'd be gone as soon as the hurling was over.

Cork hurlers will bring a good crowd as they usually do.

Mayo4Sam

Hard to see past a cork win, when they get going they look the most serious outfit in the country. Kerrigan actually scares the life out of me. They have prob 8 scorers in the team, having said that Mayo have been impressive in that regard, 10 against monaghan and another 5 yesterday.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 13, 2010, 12:00:43 AM
Hard to see past a cork win, when they get going they look the most serious outfit in the country. Kerrigan actually scares the life out of me. They have prob 8 scorers in the team, having said that Mayo have been impressive in that regard, 10 against monaghan and another 5 yesterday.

Mayo had 8 scorers from play against Cork. According to mayogaablog.com:

David Clarke; Chris Barrett (0-1), Ger Cafferkey, Liam O'Malley; Donal Vaughan (0-1), Trevor Howley, Kevin McLoughlin; Tom Parsons, Seamus O'Shea (0-1); Andy Moran (0-2), Alan Dillon (0-4, three frees), Trevor Mortimer; Mark Ronaldson (0-1), Aidan O'Shea (0-2), Conor Mortimer (0-4, two frees).  Subs: Pat Harte for Parsons, Alan Freeman for Dillon.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 13, 2010, 12:00:43 AM

Realistically, Cork are going be heavily backed to win this one. They have to be as Counihan has built a solid, experienced side with a number of really top class players throughout.
On present form, if All Irelands could be won in April, Sam would be heading Leewards.  I think Mayo at this stage could best be described as a work in progress.
However, Paidi O'Se had an interesting piece in the Sunday Indo a few weeks ago. Maybe it's just me but when it comes to Mayo, Paidi usually dishes up an irritating mixture of seafóid agus plamás.
In this article, Paidi gave his predictions for the year ahead and, unsurprisingly, he tipped Cork to win the league. But then he went on to shortlist Mayo for the All Ireland.
I hope he got it right but maybe this year it might be asking too much of Mayo to go the whole way. I think he was saying that Cork are now at their peak but Mayo are closing the gap.  Nothing more can be said of either side at the moment and there are quite a few other counties with different ideas.
I hope Johnno gets his wish and the next game is played at Croke Park—it's all part of the learning process; just one step at a time.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

So it looks like a drubbing so does it?

If Cork play their Championship team there could be nearly a new team out the next day, everybody fit. Cadogan, Shields, Lynch, O Leary, Miskella, O Connor, O Neill, Kelly, Kerrigan.

I think a right hard test is what we need right now.

bucko

Quote from: moysider on April 13, 2010, 10:57:06 PM

So it looks like a drubbing so does it?

If Cork play their Championship team there could be nearly a new team out the next day, everybody fit. Cadogan, Shields, Lynch, O Leary, Miskella, O Connor, O Neill, Kelly, Kerrigan.

I think a right hard test is what we need right now.
I think it's the very least we're going to get. After the Cork team for sunday was named last week, it was obvious that Counihan wasn't overly concerned with the result. He got to see what is very close to our best 15 while keeping his powder dry. Saying that, he may have been disappointed that his second string selection didn't perform too well and his bench mightn't be as strong as he thought, if those Cork players were looking to play themselves into contention for the league final they didn't do too well. Also, if he had hoped to give Anthony Lynch and Graham Canty game time, that fell down a bit too, Lynch didn't start and Canty went off injured. As muppet said, Munster cute hoorism is most likely a factor here.

seafoid

A Connacht clean sweep of Mayo,Galway and Ros would be magnificent. If I had to pick one it would be ros in the under 21 but I'm not fussy. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.