Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

An ironman in that - Jesus.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 13, 2022, 03:48:01 PM

Sure they are a summer sport, it's done in hot countries right through the season, those lads are hearty
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Turf

Gonna be a tough day for them right enough.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Turf on August 14, 2022, 09:43:12 AM
Gonna be a tough day for them right enough.

Seriously? You want the water to be decent not typically Irish cold, these lads/lassies train for this..

I've friends who travel the world doing these in hotter countries than here, they'll be grand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Turf

Some performance from Olatunde in the 100mts at the European Championships.
Through to the European Final.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Turf on August 16, 2022, 08:27:37 PM
Some performance from Olatunde in the 100mts at the European Championships.
Through to the European Final.

massive talent for the future

laoislad

Ingebrigtsen only looked like he was jogging there compared to the rest of them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

He was comfortable. Coscoran probably not quite at this level yet but hopefully he strengthens up and can compete further up the field.

I can't find 5000 times to see if Flanagan got a new Irish record.

Going to be very interesting what the other two do in the future. I would expect European medal prospects anyway. Looking forward to mageean race.

CK_Redhand

Don't post here often but looking for a bit of advice on how to improve my 5k time. Pb is 21 but looking to get consistently sub 20.

My weekly routine is 4 days ~10k, 1 day ~20k, 1 rest day and 1 day 5k.

I guess I'm probably running too much if my aim is to improve 5k? Also do a bit of weights machines for the legs and a bit of other cardio.

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on August 18, 2022, 10:29:02 PM
Don't post here often but looking for a bit of advice on how to improve my 5k time. Pb is 21 but looking to get consistently sub 20.

I guess I'm probably running too much if my aim is to improve 5k? Also do a bit of weights machines for the legs and a bit of other cardio.

If you want to be sub 5k then run 5k more often! Its like anything, you train for it, sub 20 is giving it the welly the whole way round..

Do the park run near you and get chatting to lads that are hitting it or just below it and test yourself against them. Getting consistently below it is tough, only managed it once but was always on the 20 for a long time.

Pick a flat park run  ;)

Ty4Sam

You need to improve your leg speed/turnover. One interval or hill session a week will help greatly. Loads online for you. Throw in hills into your longer runs as well which will strengthen your legs. 5ks are painful if run correctly so get the right frame of mind before a race, as someone said race someone that's a little faster than you, when you beat them, move onto someone else.

Turf

Run more, run further than 5km and run slower on the longer runs.
Once or twice a week do some sort of interval session.
Don't be going out trying to break your PB every time you run.

imtommygunn

This^^ The first limiting factor is probably fitness as opposed to speed. Slower long runs to get that fitness up then when you build that up things intervals - start with hill reps to get the strength up then after a few weeks something like 400s.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 19, 2022, 08:43:52 AM
This^^ The first limiting factor is probably fitness as opposed to speed. Slower long runs to get that fitness up then when you build that up things intervals - start with hill reps to get the strength up then after a few weeks something like 400s.

He's running 65k a week, think he's running plenty, and I'd assume with that distance his fitness may be ok? his thing is to get under 20 mins for 5k, for me that worked by doing the parkruns running with lads that were doing under 20 while chatting during the run, I'm nearly sure there was a lad that pushed a pram round with his kid in it while doing under 20mins!

But I suppose you'd be a better student of the running in comparison to my 'hectic' running

I'd say being in a running club would be a huge benefit also.. I'd be happy with 23 now if I'm being honest...

laoislad

This is my goal for next year. Currently Marathon training but that in itself should help my 5km time but not going to give one a proper go until Marathon is over.
Last proper one I did I was low 21 mins but with all the running I've been doing for Marathon training I feel I could go under 21 right now but wouldn't be close to sub 20 yet.
Let's us know how you get on 👍
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.