The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: gawa316 on August 17, 2023, 02:45:37 PM
Hoping there'll be at least one more signing but this fella actually ticks a lot of boxes. His character and attitude seems to be a key component. Yes he's 30 but he has way less miles on the clock than say Fab who is a year younger. Whether he'll be a starter remains to be seen but you would think he'd be ideal to bring in to help see out a game, especially with Milner and Hendo gone. Every signing can't be all glitz and glam you need the 'water carriers' in the team...like Park at Utd, Gini with us. As others have said he brings leadership qualities being captain of both Stuttgart and Japan, something we are definitely missing with all the outgoing this summer.

All in all, I'm happy with this signing.

Nothing wrong with strengthening the squad in this position, as you say, but they still need another option.

Hound

One of Thiago, Bajcetic, Endo, Trent alongside MacAllister and Szobo is a top quality midfield in my view. Jones, Elliott, Gakpo can fill in when injuries intervene. Thiago available this weekend, Baj back training too, though this week may be too soon for him.

We did dominate midfield for the first 30 min against a good Chelsea team last week. While the remainder of the game wasn't good , I thought it was more to do with too many players not being able to retain possession (and gifting it back to Chelsea), more than missing someone sitting in front of the back 4. Alexis and Szobo both had poor enough second halfs, but they both showed early on they are class operators, so they will settle and contribute lots.

If we are to splurge 70-80m on a player, I'd prefer a new top class defender.

ClubScene13

Quote from: Hound on August 18, 2023, 09:51:38 AM
One of Thiago, Bajcetic, Endo, Trent alongside MacAllister and Szobo is a top quality midfield in my view. Jones, Elliott, Gakpo can fill in when injuries intervene. Thiago available this weekend, Baj back training too, though this week may be too soon for him.

We did dominate midfield for the first 30 min against a good Chelsea team last week. While the remainder of the game wasn't good , I thought it was more to do with too many players not being able to retain possession (and gifting it back to Chelsea), more than missing someone sitting in front of the back 4. Alexis and Szobo both had poor enough second halfs, but they both showed early on they are class operators, so they will settle and contribute lots.

"Baj" " Hendo" "Robbo" "Szobo" "Trent" "Virg" "Mo" "Bobby"

Cringe.

RedHand88

Quote from: ClubScene13 on August 18, 2023, 12:38:06 PM

Cringe.

Nicknames are cringe now?

trailer

Cringe.

Maybe he knows them personally. Liverpool is a big family. Except in a pandemic and they want to lay off their staff. Or when the supported the racist Luis Suarez. But a big family all the same.

J70

Quote from: trailer on August 18, 2023, 02:30:16 PM

Cringe.

Maybe he knows them personally. Liverpool is a big family. Except in a pandemic and they want to lay off their staff. Or when the supported the racist Luis Suarez. But a big family all the same.

Big families are complicated things. You might see them idolizing men who f**k around for years with their brothers' wives. Or you might see them debating about whether to let men who beat their partners back into the fold.

Armamike

Quote from: J70 on August 18, 2023, 03:05:18 PM

Cringe.

Big families are complicated things. You might see them idolizing men who f**k around for years with their brothers' wives. Or you might see them debating about whether to let men who beat their partners back into the fold.

Indeed. 

Back to the football. I wouldn't be comfortable relying on Endo as a deep lying midfielder, destroyer type.  He will get games ok but not every week and I don't see any of Thiago, Baj(!!!) or the others being able to play that role or stay fit long enough.  We're only papering over cracks with trying to fit one of them as a 6.

That's just, like your opinion man.

dec

TabClear

Quote from: Armamike on August 18, 2023, 03:50:25 PM

Cringe.

Indeed. 

Back to the football. I wouldn't be comfortable relying on Endo as a deep lying midfielder, destroyer type.  He will get games ok but not every week and I don't see any of Thiago, Baj(!!!) or the others being able to play that role or stay fit long enough.  We're only papering over cracks with trying to fit one of them as a 6.

Not sure about that as from what I have read that is exactly what he is and hes very highly thought of at Stuttgart. The issue might be more the other way in terms of his ability on the ball. I would imagine he will play most games against the bigger teams with maybe TAA moving into that role alongside Thiago for other games.

Armamike

Quote from: TabClear on August 18, 2023, 04:19:40 PM
Quote from: Armamike on August 18, 2023, 03:50:25 PM

Cringe.

Indeed. 

Not sure about that as from what I have read that is exactly what he is and hes very highly thought of at Stuttgart. The issue might be more the other way in terms of his ability on the ball. I would imagine he will play most games against the bigger teams with maybe TAA moving into that role alongside Thiago for other games.

Crossed wires - i meant not relying only on him as a defensive midfielder - we need another option to come in.  He played the destroyer role very well at Stuttgart and he can fill in at CB or RB if needed.
That's just, like your opinion man.

gawa316

Well earned 3 points after a dodgey as feck start. Mac Allister red card was harsh but don't see that getting turned over with an appeal.

Down to 10 men I was fearing the worse but we were probably the better team after that, the Jota goal came at the perfect time. Alisson did though pull off a few excellent saves.

Szob (hope it's okay to use the abbreviation) looks like an absolute class act.

Away at Newcastle next will be a real test and currently without Mac Allister. Having Thiago and Bajcetic back would be nice

Hound

Quote from: gawa316 on August 19, 2023, 07:37:05 PM
Well earned 3 points after a dodgey as feck start. Mac Allister red card was harsh but don't see that getting turned over with an appeal.

Down to 10 men I was fearing the worse but we were probably the better team after that, the Jota goal came at the perfect time. Alisson did though pull off a few excellent saves.

Szob (hope it's okay to use the abbreviation) looks like an absolute class act.

Away at Newcastle next will be a real test and currently without Mac Allister. Having Thiago and Bajcetic back would be nice
Appallingly bad start, gradually got into it, and played well after we went down to 10, especially Szobo as you mentioned.

Plenty to work on, but doing ok so far. Newky will be a big step up next week.

BrotherMore6592

You'd know more about a soup sandwich Hound kid

square_ball

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 17, 2023, 01:01:01 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 17, 2023, 11:23:26 AM
Apparently the GC overseeing the Anfield Road stand construction is going into administration.
Project has already been delayed. Fulham also using same company for their rebuild.

Good week overall... :)

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/liverpool-fc-statement-anfield-road-stand

Grim reading. What a disaster of a week.

Reading in the Irish News this morning this is the same crowd that have been appointed to the Casement Park rebuild as well so that'll be that project up the left again.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: gawa316 on August 19, 2023, 07:37:05 PMMac Allister red card was harsh but don't see that getting turned over with an appeal.

It got turned over, surprisingly - https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1694032059272999078