The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candyman

Quote from: EannaAbu on June 15, 2007, 01:17:19 PM
think you'll also find that a number of ex-ogs men a part of the 'brack set-up,  so it's more an armagh city b team   

the bracks best player, apple jordan, is a former harps great
i wouldn't exactly say that now??? how long is it as a matter of interest since Paul played with the Harps?

Louis the Red

Think he might have played up to U21.  He's now 34, so it's been a while.  If my memory serves me right, I think he started his career at Port Mor as did Shoot.

laughinpaddy

I think his last year for the harps was as a sub in the b' county final of 97/8?
I ain't gettin on no plane!

Candyman

Quote from: Louis the Red on June 15, 2007, 02:27:50 PM
Think he might have played up to U21.  He's now 34, so it's been a while.  If my memory serves me right, I think he started his career at Port Mor as did Shoot.
playing out in Port Mor with their uncle playing the pipes before the match... ;)

Passing_Interest

Talk of Abble and the Mullabrack defectors got me thinking..........

This is one for you historians:
Can anyone think of any former Harps player who went on to win anything with another club after leaving the Harps ?

Nothing but the same old story.........

laughinpaddy

Benny o'kane Granemore intermediate or else junior c'hamp

fcuksake

Gerry something - left Harps seniors and went on to win several Fermanagh county championships with Enniskillen Gaels

Rufus should know his name
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

laughinpaddy

Quote from: fcuksake on June 15, 2007, 02:53:47 PM
Gerry something - left Harps seniors and went on to win several Fermanagh county championships with Enniskillen Gaels

how long ago are you talking about fcuksake?

Candyman

all those that went to mullabrack!!! They won their first championship match under Charlie Agnew last year for the first time in nearly a decade i think???? :P

fcuksake

Mid 90's. I actually think he won a B championship with Harps as well as playing for the seniors.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

laughinpaddy

Don't recall any gerry leaving the harps.
they were beat in a b final in 97 won it the following year and then two years later i think as well as two years ago but don't ever recall a gerry playing for them, but i'm probably wrong! know doubt rufus will let us know. although i know that benny o'kane won a Championship with Granemore!

Hedley Lamarr

Gerry "the Claw" Cauldwell :D
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Rufus T Firefly

Gerry McDermott is the lad in question. Gerry was an awful nice fella - played for about 12-18 months for Harps at both Senior and B level - usually at wing half forward. To this day I have never seen opinion as divided about one Harps player, as opinion was on Gerry.  Many thought he was County standard and many others thought he wasn't Senior Club level!!

Gerry left in 1994, and the last I heard he was at Enniskillen Gaels. He had his most famous moment with them in recent years, when in a tight Ulster Club game, he scored what turned out to be a decisive goal against Crossmaglen Rangers.

And just by coincidence, I was with Egg and Head, walking down Ballybofey main street (at the Championship match), when we bumped in to Gerry, who was there stewarding. It was great to see him again - Gerry as always was as sound as a pound!

One last thing - I do recall a Super Leeds v Manure game around that time, when Super Leeds did the bizzo!  8) Big crowd in the Club, and Gerry, a Manure fanatic, got into a scrape with Super Leeds fanatic, Bonehead McCreadie!  :)   

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Passing_Interest on June 15, 2007, 02:42:14 PM
Talk of Abble and the Mullabrack defectors got me thinking..........

This is one for you historians:
Can anyone think of any former Harps player who went on to win anything with another club after leaving the Harps ?

I would say Magoo McGinn, who joined us from the Ogs in 1988, staying one season, before heading off to Collegeland - they won the Intermediate in 1990.

Paddy McShane left Harps after 1989 to join Madden, and I would have a notion Paddy might have accumulated at least a Junior, and possibly an Intermediate with the Rapparees!

fcuksake

I think the okane brothers won junior titles with granemore