Best GAA books - Recommendations

Started by Joeythelips, August 08, 2023, 08:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeythelips

Like most sports people's autobiographies, GAA personalities often have poor, uninteresting books so I was wondering which books people have read and would recommend.

My personal favourite was 'Raising the Banner' by Ger Loughnane, well worth a read.

AnPuca

The Club by Christy O'Connor is a great read. Would recommend

Heshs Umpire

Liam Hayes, Justin McCarthy and Michael Duignan all had great autobiographies.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

imtommygunn

Quote from: AnPuca on August 08, 2023, 09:51:40 AM
The Club by Christy O'Connor is a great read. Would recommend

I don't think I have read a better GAA book than this.

I haven't read those autobiographies  - must have a look as they would be interesting enough characters.

Tony Baloney

Can issue a strong do not recommend for DJ Carey's.

imtommygunn

I didn't really like Ken McGrath's. Jackie Tyrrell's, who tbh I wouldn't be a huge fan of, wasn't too bad.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 08, 2023, 11:06:58 AM
Brian Cody's too. Ghostwritten by Martin Breheny and managed to say nothing in an entire book.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Kidder81

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on August 08, 2023, 12:41:19 PM
Brian Cody's too. Ghostwritten by Martin Breheny and managed to say nothing in an entire book.

Cody's was really bad

DJ could do quite a good one now if he wanted

Kidder81

Fields of Fire by Damien Lawlor very good

mrdeeds

Milltown Row2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/N-Other-P-J-Cunningham/dp/095279232X/ref=mp_s_a_1_23?qid=1691509617&refinements=p_27%3APJ.+Cunningham&s=books&sr=1-23

Was in Biarritz about 21 years ago, and our mobile was next to the above author/journalist and avid GAA man. 2 weeks of talk GAA! Wife was ready for mental home lol.

This is his first (I think) brilliant set of stories set around or not on GAA. Usually read it every couple of years
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Joeythelips

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on August 08, 2023, 10:31:03 AM
Liam Hayes, Justin McCarthy and Michael Duignan all had great autobiographies.

I read Hayes' Out of our Skins. Good read about his life in football and career in journalism along with family tragedy. Just thought it was a tad overrated. Although it was like War and Peace compared to Colm O'Rourkes one. Loughnanes one is my favourite as the best bits of his personality come across in it.

Wildweasel74

One of the best is, Dermot Earley's, good part on it, on his time in the Golan heights. On another Note, does anybody remember roughly when hard copies of the Hogan stand, Gael Sport, Gaelic sport, stopped print?

LC

Quote from: Kidder81 on August 08, 2023, 01:07:49 PM
Quote from: Heshs Umpire on August 08, 2023, 12:41:19 PM

Cody's was really bad

DJ could do quite a good one now if he wanted

He should leave it a couple of years........a few chapters yet I imagine still to play out.

IolarCoisCuain

Kings of September by Michael Foley, about the 1982 All-Ireland Final, is the best GAA book I've ever read. First-class in every way.

House of Pain by Keith Duggan, about the Mayo football team, spoke to me, but I have skin in that game, God help me.

Hurling: The Revolution Years, by Denis Walsh is excellent on the golden years of 1990s hurling.

Over the Bar, by Breandán Ó hEithir might be hard to find now but it's a classic. Published in 1984 for the centenary, it's an elegy to a lost Ireland and the GAA's role in it.

Agus spéis agat snas a chuir ar do chuid Gaeilge, bain triail as Lá an Phaoraigh, le Seán Óg de Paor. Suimiúil go leor agus, níos fearr arís, tá an Ghaeilge caighdeánach go leor, rud nach bhfuil chomh  coitianta mar a shílfeá i bhfoilsitheoireacht leabhar Gaeilge.