Jack McCarron

Started by Rawhide, January 27, 2023, 10:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on January 27, 2023, 02:32:28 PM
Free Country, amateur sport, no contract,....
i always thought the club had to agree before a transfer was granted.

square_ball

You might as well allow every big club in their county to have their pick off players from small clubs with that kind of attitude.

And then we'll lament the demise of the wee club down the road that can't field in the years to come. . .

Cavan19

Quote from: square_ball on January 27, 2023, 02:36:21 PM

You might as well allow every big club in their county to have their pick off players from small clubs with that kind of attitude.

And then we'll lament the demise of the wee club down the road that can't field in the years to come. . .

Sure are Ballybay not at it for years.

bennydorano

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 27, 2023, 01:57:16 PM
He'd a big boost for them. I think Scotstown have the biggest catchment area in Monaghan, a bit like Kilmacud but on a smaller scale.
Really? I cycle it through  it fairly regularly and often wonder how they're a County superpower, it's a pretty small place, plus they've Monaghan Harps, Emyvale & Truagh on their doorstep - no doubt there's other clubs about I'm not aware of as well.

JimStynes

That's a silly argument. If it was a soccer club it would be generally accpeted that it is ok but we all know GAA doesn't work like that. The lads from Fossa get to play on the same team as the Cliffords because of the loyalty within GAA.

Rossfan

Quote from: JimStynes on January 27, 2023, 03:29:44 PM

That's a silly argument. If it was a soccer club it would be generally accpeted that it is ok but we all know GAA doesn't work like that. The lads from Fossa get to play on the same team as the Cliffords because of the loyalty within GAA.

Yes and all that but it's still a free Country, amateur sport no contracts so if an individual wishes to transfer to another club within the rules he is free to do so.
Thankfully most players don't wish to transfer and most who do are pretty genuine like working and settling down a few hundred kms from home.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

rodney trotter

Quote from: bennydorano on January 27, 2023, 03:28:43 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 27, 2023, 01:57:16 PM
He'd a big boost for them. I think Scotstown have the biggest catchment area in Monaghan, a bit like Kilmacud but on a smaller scale.
Really? I cycle it through  it fairly regularly and often wonder how they're a County superpower, it's a pretty small place, plus they've Monaghan Harps, Emyvale & Truagh on their doorstep - no doubt there's other clubs about I'm not aware of as well.

. The village is obviously small but a large parish.  An amalgamation of a couple of parishes.

rodney trotter

They are the only club in Monaghan that has a second team also in the Junior Championship. And a strong 3rd team. They do not have a small pick..

Milltown Row2

Well, if they win an All Ireland club they'll get dogs abuse
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2023, 06:03:25 PM
Well, if they win an All Ireland club they'll get dogs abuse
First they would have to get past Ballybay.

Afaics Jack's transfer is sound and abides by the rules which good refs should respect ;D

Monaghan CCC are understood to have granted the transfer on the basis of a county by-law that allow members to join a club that they have an association with through parentage or guardianship.
McCarron's father Ray – an Ulster winner with Monaghan in 1985 and '88 – originally played for Scotstown, winning multiple senior championships with them through the 1980s and nineties.

smort

Thought he was going to Errigal

The Subbie

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 27, 2023, 01:24:39 PM
Did Rorey Beggan join Scotstown from another club also??

No
Rory's father played for both Scotstown and Monaghan in the 80's and early 90's

straightred

Quote from: smort on January 27, 2023, 10:14:29 PM
Thought he was going to Errigal
Think he lives near Errigal but is moving to Scotstown where is father is from. Dont see much wrong with that and its within the rules. They got very close to an Ulster a few years ago - he probably would have been enough to get them over the line back then